2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

msiminoff

Here is phase one of the build...
Lookin' amazing ! ! !
Our Total Composites box is going together this week too. It's really nice that you're a couple of days ahead so we can see the process before we do it :ROFLMAO:
Any major "gotcha's" in the panel assembly process that you think we need to be aware of?
-Mark

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Any major "gotcha's" in the panel assembly process that you think we need to be aware of?

OR EXTRA EXTRA ADHESIVE BEFORE YOUR START!!!!!!!

My kit came with only 2 cases. I've had to place 2 separate orders for more that each took over a week to get to me, causing frustrating annoying delays! The stuff goes way quicker than you'd think!

Now that the box is done and assembled, i will be using 3M 4000UV for all the other portions of it and inside.

3M 4000UV is readily available locally, specs appear very similar, its much easier to work with, it gets rave reviews in the marine world

motorman

GREAT JOB!

this is exactly what i would have gone for if i had not found a 4x4 MD ambulance
the TC product is TOPS in my book
i still may come back to this solution depending on how mine turns out

the TC cab over is a game changer for the footprint and livability aspect

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
GREAT JOB!

this is exactly what i would have gone for if i had not found a 4x4 MD ambulance
the TC product is TOPS in my book
i still may come back to this solution depending on how mine turns out

the TC cab over is a game changer for the footprint and livability aspect

Thanks and i agree 110%

Seeing small tiny non-cabover boxes on huge gigantic trucks, just dont seem to make a lick of sense to me, but for each is own of course.

I feel this is the ideal setup for keeping the footprint small, and maximizing interior/living space

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
And since i am sure this is going to be the #1 question for the peanut gallery and the "that wont go where i go" types, here is the Air Conditioner i am using:

Houghton Bel-Air HB3400 (rebranded by RecPro, but one that arrived to me came in a Houghton box and is labeled Houghton)
Made in Austrailia
Built in Soft Start
Low Profile, only 9" High

It does have a huge footprint on the roof though, so roof layout needs to be planned accordingly

An often overlooked, but key feature for me was the shallow plenum/controls inside of the camper, it sticks down a little less than 2". I can walk under it with an inch to spare and no crouching

Yes, i am going to have a giant silly battery bank, as almost everything in this build will be run off of it.

NOTE: Still undecided on exactly what batteries and looking at lots of various options

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites

My kit came with only 2 cases. I've had to place 2 separate orders for more that each took over a week to get to me, causing frustrating annoying delays! The stuff goes way quicker than you'd think!

Now that the box is done and assembled, i will be using 3M 4000UV for all the other portions of it and inside.

3M 4000UV is readily available locally, specs appear very similar, its much easier to work with, it gets rave reviews in the marine world

Please allow me to chip in.
I agree with the adhesive statement. Although being the supplier, I still believe we are sending out enough of the Koemmerling 225 glue. We supply as much as our engineers have calculated. Our commercial builders are getting the same amount and never complained or requested more. This doesn't mean that you don't need more at all! I think it comes down to the fact that 99% of our customers have never worked with our system or adhesive in general. Therefore it is VERY easy to apply too much and therefore run out of it way ahead before the box is done. For us it's a fine line of supplying too much or just enough... That stuff is absolutely amazing but hugely expensive for us to ship out extra for "just in case". After reading your post this morning I went to the shop and created a new sample about the glue application. Please have a look and see if this helps.
On a side note: We usually have the Koemmerling 225 in stock and ship out orders within 2 business days. But because it's going across the border to the USA it can take up to a week to arrive... In Kevins case, one package was seriously mis guided by UPS and ended up in a box of an order from Target at someone else's house.... It's a long funny story to be told at a campfire LOL
In any case, we never let people "hang" and always listen to concerns and ideas for improvements.
Here are the pictures for visualization.
Glue application02.jpg

Attachments

• Glue application03.jpg
    Glue application03.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • Glue application01.jpg
    Glue application01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 105

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Please allow me to chip in.
I agree with the adhesive statement. Although being the supplier, I still believe we are sending out enough of the Koemmerling 225 glue. We supply as much as our engineers have calculated. Our commercial builders are getting the same amount and never complained or requested more. This doesn't mean that you don't need more at all! I think it comes down to the fact that 99% of our customers have never worked with our system or adhesive in general. Therefore it is VERY easy to apply too much and therefore run out of it way ahead before the box is done. For us it's a fine line of supplying too much or just enough... That stuff is absolutely amazing but hugely expensive for us to ship out extra for "just in case". After reading your post this morning I went to the shop and created a new sample about the glue application. Please have a look and see if this helps.
On a side note: We usually have the Koemmerling 225 in stock and ship out orders within 2 business days. But because it's going across the border to the USA it can take up to a week to arrive... In Kevins case, one package was seriously mis guided by UPS and ended up in a box of an order from Target at someone else's house.... It's a long funny story to be told at a campfire LOL
In any case, we never let people "hang" and always listen to concerns and ideas for improvements.
Here are the pictures for visualization.
View attachment 615557

Great photos!

Yes, to clarify, @Victorian has been amazingly helpful through the entire thing.

I used “perfect amount” for most of the box, other than the roof, I went heavy on the roof for obvious reason, didn’t want leaks, etc...

Yea, Stuff is amazing IN COOLER WEATHER!

The bulk of this was built during our freaking heatwave and it was 100F+ each day and it setup crazy fast and hindered progress.

Once we realized this, we did most of the assembly at night once it cooled down and it went a lot smoother.

Seems 85F is the magic point where this stuff goes from amazing to a royal pain in the ass ?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Great photos!

Yes, to clarify, @Victorian has been amazingly helpful through the entire thing.

I used “perfect amount” for most of the box, other than the roof, I went heavy on the roof for obvious reason, didn’t want leaks, etc...

Yea, Stuff is amazing IN COOLER WEATHER!

The bulk of this was built during our freaking heatwave and it was 100F+ each day and it setup crazy fast and hindered progress.

Once we realized this, we did most of the assembly at night once it cooled down and it went a lot smoother.

Seems 85F is the magic point where this stuff goes from amazing to a royal pain in the ass ?

Yep, hot and humid is killer. It's a PU adhesive that cured with moisture and warmth. On the opposite side: I assembled our last one close to freezing temperatures. Took almost a week to cure!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Here are some photos during the process.

You can see where i installed RivNuts into the extrusion for the cab over support. The drivers side cab over support will stay permently, and the spare tire is going to be mounted there.

The passenger side support will eventually be removed once i get the aluminum storage box built for the passenger side and it will be modified to be installed inside the box

finalassembly1_FORUM.jpg

finalassembly2_FORUM.jpg

finalassembly3_FORUM.jpg

caboverbracerivnut_FORUM.jpg

caboverbraceinstalledFORUM.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I spent a couple WEEKS laying out the roof and doing all the wiring thinking it would be easier before installing it. At the end of the day, it really didnt make a difference.

I had grand plans to run all of the wires through the back, drill a hole in the back wall extrusion and run all the wires through all the extrusions and enter at the bottom of the floor so theyd be invisible.

After spending a week or more laying this all out, i determined although it would look super slick and clean, it would create a nightmare later down the road if i had to service any wiring or do any trouble shooting.

I used Armacost Puck LED Dimmable lights. All the lights you see here are on one dimmable circuit.

Lights: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IY81GGG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_7CHDFbTXDYVP3

The lights for the dinette area and sink/stove will be on separate circuits.

roof1_FORUM.jpg

roofinstalled3_FORUM.jpg

roofinstalled4_FORUM.jpg

roofinstalled5_FORUM.jpg0

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz