2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Wait, what? Shouldn't your susp tuning be tuned for your setup? So, alum Buckstop first, then tune in the susp?

You went with their flares, kewl. Looking forward to seeing them on.

Yes but suspension tuning can’t perform miracles sir ?

Meh, not a huge fan of the flares, but currently don’t have options.

They’ll be sold off at a later date i assure you :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Got the bumper, skidplate, winch, some of the lights installed yesterday.

Gotta say, the fit, finish, design, engineering, and lines of the Buckstop bumper/skidplate combo is some of the best i've ever seen (not sponsored, didnt get a discount, just very impressed/happy).

-Buckstop “Outback” Bumper (steel)
-Buckstop Radiator Skid
-Baja Designs Squadron Pro Fog lights (plug and play to factory fog switch)
-Baja Designs XL80R Aux Lights (will be wired to upfitter switches)
-Warn 16.5 ti winch
-Factor 55 Fairlead
-Factor 55 Ultra-Hook

NOTE: Still need to finish the fitment and massaging of the flares. Not that impressed with the flares, actually, kind of disappointed.

bumperinstalled1_FORUM.jpg

bumperinstalled2_FORUM.jpg

bumperinstalled3_FORUM.jpg

phonepic1_FORUM.jpg

phonepic2_FORUM.jpg

phonepic3_FORUM.jpg

Last edited:

Mawgie

Your headlight swap to the black internals plays really well with the BuckStop bumper. A question: the leading edge of the fender flare does not seem to have an even gap where it meets the top plate of the bumper. Is this a fitment issue? Or maybe it is designed that way to match what seems to be a gently flaring along the the bottom of the grille/headlight trim?

(Also, your decision to go with factory LED headlights was a great one. I have a little bitty 2020 Ram 1500 (Bighorn package), but it does not have LED headlights. The factory halogen headlights beams are so bad as to be approaching dangerous.)

Adventurous

Explorer
Well that sure looks like it'll live up to the name. I like how they gave you a real skid plate up front, instead of the dinky little side shield that comes with the AEV. I also like the front hitch receiver, the integration of that is really clean.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Your headlight swap to the black internals plays really well with the BuckStop bumper. A question: the leading edge of the fender flare does not seem to have an even gap where it meets the top plate of the bumper. Is this a fitment issue? Or maybe it is designed that way to match what seems to be a gently flaring along the the bottom of the grille/headlight trim?

(Also, your decision to go with factory LED headlights was a great one. I have a little bitty 2020 Ram 1500 (Bighorn package), but it does not have LED headlights. The factory halogen headlights beams are so bad as to be approaching dangerous.)

Thanks, yes, LED headlights were mandatory with this, and i wanted them from the get go. I agree with your assessment of the factory halogens 100% I drove in my friends, and it was miserably dim.

You're 100% correct on the odd and whacky leading lines of the flares. I am not sure why this is, and its driving my OCD nutso.

May be they used the lines from the earlier models with the slightly different headlights, i am not sure.

I am not all that satisfied with these flares, the fitment, and the overall quality.

I'll be having a custom set made at a later date at some point for sure.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well that sure looks like it'll live up to the name. I like how they gave you a real skid plate up front, instead of the dinky little side shield that comes with the AEV. I also like the front hitch receiver, the integration of that is really clean.

Agree 100%. Worth every penny and pound.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Starting to look at different/more options for the subframe and box assembly.

Turns out local builders timeline might not work out for me.

Had contemplated ITB in Victoria for it all, but not sure I can get it over the border right now.

Anyone have one done personally in the western US?

Would be a 12ft box with the 4ft cab over area.

Ideas and options?

Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94