2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Did some frame flex testing yesterday to get started on the subframe design.

It was VERY surprising to see such a giant beefy frame flex so much. I know C channel cab and chassis had more flex that boxed frames, but i didnt expect THIS much.

Note: The springs barely moved at all here, this is ALL frame:

frame1_FORUM.jpg

frame2_FORUM.jpg

frame3_forum.jpg

frame4-FORUM.jpg

GoinBoardin

Observer
After having a three point mount on my flatbed camper setup for a few years, I'd consider a four point (diamond shape) mount setup on a bigger rig. The three point I have sways even with shocks on it. Four point would be more stable, without shocks, and simplify load distribution a bit over a three point.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Its going to change when there is weight on the frame and suspension.

I was just going to ask this question. I know nothing about how these campers get mounted from a design perspective so am always curious about why certain designs get chosen.. Enjoying the build so far! Thank you.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
After having a three point mount on my flatbed camper setup for a few years, I'd consider a four point (diamond shape) mount setup on a bigger rig. The three point I have sways even with shocks on it. Four point would be more stable, without shocks, and simplify load distribution a bit over a three point.

Correct on all accounts sir. Will be doing a four point for sure.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I'll be interested to see what the 4-point attachment looks like. After full-timing in a slide-in TC, this type of build is of great interest to us.

Still in the design/testing phase! It might even be a 6 point, because it will be spending A LOT of time offroad! :)

ajalger

Any chance you could measure or do you know of any source that shows the turning radius of a 5500? Considering a similar project but no dealer has one in stock near us.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Any chance you could measure or do you know of any source that shows the turning radius of a 5500? Considering a similar project but no dealer has one in stock near us.

I give a visual turning radius test drive if you check out episiode 2 on the YouTube.

I can try to measure it at some point. But ill say i was MOST impressed and it turns much tighter than my Tundra did.

Unsure if there is a source online. It would vary depending on wheelbase and such

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles