2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Awesome build. I did this one a couple years ago. Then traded for the super C and 6 months later traded for the 45'DP. I ordered the truck and then got the bed installed and then everything else.and then I do miss the truck and the dual tanks.

Thanks!

Awesome rigs yourself sir!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
With that much lift, you may want to look at your drive shaft length.

Thanks. This is a 3" in the front and 2" blocks in the rear (for now)

Yeah, it is kind of weird. A driveshaft spacer is included in all the 2018 and older kits, and i assumed it was for the 2019+ kit.

When i got the kit and their wasn't a spacer, i called up Suspension Max. They told me the 2019+ don't use a driveshaft spacer because the driveshaft isn't on a flange anymore like the standard ones.

I didnt quite understand so i went and looked under my drive and they where right.

Hard to explain, but Ill snap a pic later and post. The 2019+ have what appears to be a huge slip yoke with a CV joint on the ended where it enters the case.

Once all this calms down, i want to bring it to my friends shop with a lift to do some more measurements

HAF

I had a 2016 RAM 5500 that I put a Buckstop kit on. It had a drive shaft spacer. It seems that there are more changes to the new big RAMS than meets the eye. Your truck is looking great.

Attachments

• 20180517_104238.jpg
    20180517_104238.jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 190

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I had a 2016 RAM 5500 that I put a Buckstop kit on. It had a drive shaft spacer. It seems that there are more changes to the new big RAMS than meets the eye. Your truck is looking great.

Thanks! Gorgeous setup yourself sir! I have the Buckstop Outback Bumper on the way as well!

Yes, lots of new weird quirks with the 2019+

Right now trying to get the TPIS system squared away has become my biggest chore. Still looking at options and ideas.

Mushadd

The reason for the wide front axle is so all the wheels can be dually style and the same.
I’m curious what the total width of the front is?
Do you understand the wheel makes a bigger arc with them sticking so far out? You might not have to trim at all if you had more backspacing.

I’ll drop this topic. If you’re happy then I don’t care.

The reason for the wide front axle on 4500/5500 is for increased stability and tighter turning radius. It also tracks better down the highway which results in less fatigue via less steering input. Same thing with Fords, F450 and 550s come standard with wide track for these reasons.

When you do an SRW conversion you want your front track to be in line with the rear for obvious reasons. This has to be done with custom wheels, or spacers.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The reason for the wide front axle on 4500/5500 is for increased stability and tighter turning radius. It also tracks better down the highway which results in less fatigue via less steering input. Same thing with Fords, F450 and 550s come stand with wide track for these reasons.

When you do an SRW conversion you want your front track to be in line with the rear for obvious reasons. This has to be done with custom wheels, or spacers.

Exactly.. thank you

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Put the stock flares back on.

Although not full coverage, and custom ones will eventually be made for full coverage, i dont want to bother my friend that will be making them until things calm down a bit.

Will some reforming, and trimming in the rear, these should get me by for a little bit:

stockfenderson2FORUM.jpg

stockfenderson1FORUM.jpg

stockfenderson3_FORUM.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
If you have a second take a straight on pic, those look close to being good...

Not sure if I can attach a phone pic via my phone on here, but I’ll try, here’s kind of straight on.

Issue is, I’m still waiting on the adjustable track bar so the tire will be 1/2-3/4” further out then in this pic when it’s all squared up and aligned

2AD7EA3C-0BB6-48ED-9DDE-DE370F019E82.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles