2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Out of curiosity, why did you go with Suspension maxx instead of the Buckstop lift?

Buckstop makes top notch stuff, and i have ordered their wheels, bumper, steps and skid plate.

For the suspension though... I went with SuspensionMaxx for a few reasons:

-Adjust-ability, the adjustable upper arms will make a world of difference when aligning the vehicle during all the suspension trials and testing i'll be doing. I will be trying several different springs, shocks, etc.. Being able to adjust it for perfect alignment is huge. The Buckstop kit isnt adjustable.
-Completeness. SuspensionMaxx kit includes new sway bar links front and rear, not just spacers to move the existing ones like the Buckstop kit. The new ones are considerably beefier than stock.
-It's lower.. Just an inch, but its a 3" kit vs a 4" i want to keep the truck and COG as low as possible.

One important note about the Suspension Maxx kit versus the Buckstop is the lack of addressing the Track Bar. Buckstop provided a beefy relocation bracket to get proper side to side alignment. SuspensionMaxx does not.

After install and a test drive to settle the suspension, the axle is almost a full inch over to the drivers side. This obviously has to be addressed.

Again, i want full adjust-ability and there are only 2 options. Dodge-Offroad makes an adjustable beefcake track bar for the 4500/5500 or i can have a fabricator friend make the stock one adjustable by adding a threaded sleeve.

I havent had the best luck with Dodge-Offroad, but i ordered their track bar anyways, and will see how that goes. Time will tell... Trial and error.

Mostly in uncharted waters here.

Mushadd

Buckstop makes top notch stuff, and i have ordered their wheels, bumper, steps and skid plate.

For the suspension though... I went with SuspensionMaxx for a few reasons:

-Adjust-ability, the adjustable upper arms will make a world of difference when aligning the vehicle during all the suspension trials and testing i'll be doing. I will be trying several different springs, shocks, etc.. Being able to adjust it for perfect alignment is huge. The Buckstop kit isnt adjustable.
-Completeness. SuspensionMaxx kit includes new sway bar links front and rear, not just spacers to move the existing ones like the Buckstop kit. The new ones are considerably beefier than stock.
-It's lower.. Just an inch, but its a 3" kit vs a 4" i want to keep the truck and COG as low as possible.

One important note about the Suspension Maxx kit versus the Buckstop is the lack of addressing the Track Bar. Buckstop provided a beefy relocation bracket to get proper side to side alignment. SuspensionMaxx does not.

After install and a test drive to settle the suspension, the axle is almost a full inch over to the drivers side. This obviously has to be addressed.

Again, i want full adjust-ability and there are only 2 options. Dodge-Offroad makes an adjustable beefcake track bar for the 4500/5500 or i can have a fabricator friend make the stock one adjustable by adding a threaded sleeve.

I havent had the best luck with Dodge-Offroad, but i ordered their track bar anyways, and will see how that goes. Time will tell... Trial and error.

Mostly in uncharted waters here.

I have a 2020 on order as well and as you said, it’a basically unchartered waters when it comes to 4500/5500. I was looking at buckstop and hardfab. I was told suspension maxx made a kit too, but it wasn’t on their website and they never responded to my inquiry. Thanks for your response. This will help me when I cross the bridge.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I have a 2020 on order as well and as you said, it’a basically unchartered waters when it comes to 4500/5500. I was looking at buckstop and hardfab. I was told suspension maxx made a kit too, but it wasn’t on their website and they never responded to my inquiry. Thanks for your response. This will help me when I cross the bridge.

NICE! What did you order exactly??

Yeah, i have SuspensionMaxx' first actual kit, and am doing the testing, install tips, and trial and error for them.

If interested, call and talk to LARRY there, he's been amazing through the whole thing. Tell him i sent you, and told you to ask for him. No one else there seems to know about the kit. He's in charge of their big truck stuff,

Notes on install:

REMOVE THE INNER FENDERWELLS to install it. I didnt, and after removing them after the fact for trimming, it would of made the install MUCH faster and smoother.

The front upper passenger side control arm bolt is a mother f&%#@er and took more time than everything else, until we decided just to cut it off. With the diesel you have 2 options for this bolt. Either remove the entire exhaust system from the turbo back, or sawzall it off and replace from the other side. It was obviously installed before the dropped the drivetrain in. I obviously did option 2 as it took 5 mins instead of a half day. Ample room to install replacement bolt from the other side. This would apply with either kit.

The front drivers side upper shock mount is held onto the frame with 3 bolts and the ABS controller bracketry sits on top of that with another set of nuts on the same bolts. Strongly suggest hiring a neighborhood kid with tiny hands for this. Hahaha. Ratcheting wrenches helped, but my knuckles are shredded.

Other than that, its super easy and straight forward.

Any questions, let me know, like everyone else, i am bored as hell right now and have ample free time

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
FINALLY! Today is TIRE DAY! Woot!

These are the "next generation" MPT81s.

Not sure exactly what the difference is, neither does the tire shop, nor did Contintenal when we called them while at said tire shop, other than the new/odd little grid graphic things between the lettering.

We found out these were the "next gens" when they called Continental to order the old part # and said it had been replaced with this new one.

I cant find anything whatsoever about this online... Sooooo... who knows, hoping theyre the same or better, hahahaha

tires1SMALL.jpg

Last edited:

flylow4500

Observer
Too bad the inner bolt pattern isn’t the same, sure would be nice to get those spacers off. Your wheel bearings, ball joints, steering components will all thank you. I sure would be talking to a local machine shop to get some made.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Too bad the inner bolt pattern isn’t the same, sure would be nice to get those spacers off. Your wheel bearings, ball joints, steering components will all thank you. I sure would be talking to a local machine shop to get some made.

That’s part of the reason I went with the Jumbo 5500 vs the 3500

These axles are obnoxiously huge and stout and built for MUCH more weight than I’m going to have on it.

Yeah, these will speed up wear some, but I’m pretty sure it will be minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Im going to weigh these soon to see the difference but I was BLOWN AWAY at how heavy the stock steel wheel and front tire was. Considerable more than my Steelies wheels and 35” tires I had on my last truck

flylow4500

Observer
I get the 45-5500 thing. FYI the only difference between the two is rear spring pack and gears.

You’ve at least doubled the leverage on the front wheel bearings and ball joints. Take front gvwr and cut it in half for the same load on components as rated?

The bolt pattern I’m talking about is on the front hub spacer. If you could take the spacer out and bolt the wheel straight to the axle your wheel would be tucked in and the steering arc will be closer to stock. Since the inner bolt pattern isn’t the same as the outer that’s why I mentioned a custom spacer. How sharp can you turn before the tires hit the body? Seems like it’s a mile from full lock.

I haven’t tried a track bar on a new truck, all my sources say it’s the same.

Why would you need to adjust the upper link? Do you want to run an extreme amount of caster?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I get the 45-5500 thing. FYI the only difference between the two is rear spring pack and gears.

You’ve at least doubled the leverage on the front wheel bearings and ball joints. Take front gvwr and cut it in half for the same load on components as rated?

The bolt pattern I’m talking about is on the front hub spacer. If you could take the spacer out and bolt the wheel straight to the axle your wheel would be tucked in and the steering arc will be closer to stock. Since the inner bolt pattern isn’t the same as the outer that’s why I mentioned a custom spacer. How sharp can you turn before the tires hit the body? Seems like it’s a mile from full lock.

I haven’t tried a track bar on a new truck, all my sources say it’s the same.

Why would you need to adjust the upper link? Do you want to run an extreme amount of caster?

Im aware of and know what you’re talking about regarding the spacers and such, that’s what Beefcake on here did.

But why would i narrow the front track width and lose turning radius?

Also one of the reason I went this route in the first place. This thing turns almost as tight as my Prius and about half of what my tundra did. I’ll be monitoring bearing and other parts wear and repair as needed. I’d prefer the the turning radius versus a little less maintenance personally.

Right now I can turn lock to lock with no rubbing on a flat surface on level ground.

But, It’s VERY close and yes the rear portion of the fender needs trimming before any dirt adventures, I was aware of that going in.

As for why adjustable upper links? Um why would one not want adjustability?

It’s for dialing in the caster at different heights, and also these arms move the axle about an inch forward to limit fender trimming, similar to what AEV does.

Right now it’s lifted 3” in the front, as that’s how the kit came. Depending on how everything moves and clears, I may lower it as much as I can.

Curious who said “sources” are claiming they’re the same. I’ve spoke to Carli, Thuren, AEV, and they couldn’t give me a straight answer, none of them. Dodge-Offroad lists them as different part #s, but their service is “meh” and they get mixed reviews.

The dodge Offroad link should be here next week. Will see.

Last edited:

Mushadd

NICE! What did you order exactly??

‘20 5500, loaded Laramie, 4x4, crew, ‘60 CA, diesel. Basically same overall idea as yours

I have a ‘16 4500 SLT ‘84CA right now, but wanted all the new tech the 19+ offer, and decided to go a little shorter so I can stay under 25’

I went with DblDesign wheels for my SRW conversion. MPT81s too of course. Parts are already in my garage...just waiting on the truck.

Looking forward to your progress, and I plan on leaching info from you every turn. Subbed to your YouTube as well (I’m a visual learner.) ?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
‘20 5500, loaded Laramie, 4x4, crew, ‘60 CA, diesel. Basically same overall idea as yours

I have a ‘16 4500 SLT ‘84CA right now, but wanted all the new tech the 19+ offer, and decided to go a little shorter so I can stay under 25’

I went with DblDesign wheels for my SRW conversion. MPT81s too of course. Parts are already in my garage...just waiting on the truck.

Looking forward to your progress, and I plan on leaching info from you every turn. Subbed to your YouTube as well (I’m a visual learner.) ?

Awesome! Sounds like it will be quite a beast, i look forward to following. I was told 6-8 weeks when i ordered mine. It took almost 8 weeks to the day. 8 VERY LONG WEEKS! I know the feeling.

Yeah, overall length under 24ft is my goal, and i think i should be able to pull it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles