2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Sad to hear. It seemed that they were very helpful to the other gent on here who built his Ram camper healyjet think? He was over on their forum when he started his build and answered a lot his questions. Will be watching to see what parts you choose.

With regards to your tire choice I like the look of the Conti's but I wonder about the low speed rating of 68mph I think. The goodyears are rated to 78mph I think. Do you like to cruise at 70-75mph? Anyway I am just an armchair looky loo at this point. Hopefully I will be there in a few more years.

Yes, @Healeyjet seemed to have an excellent experience with them, and that’s great. Me, not so much. It’s ok.

As for tire choice and the 68mph rating of the Contis... 2 things, the 68mph rating is for full load. I won’t be near that 14k +/- load rating. That, and I rarely drive over 70mph anyway. I’m never in a rush when I go anywhere and I’m an MPG miser :)

That and the Goodyear’s are almost a full inch taller, which I don’t want, considerably harder to find, and almost $200 more per tire.

38snubby

Yes, @Healeyjet seemed to have an excellent experience with them, and that’s great. Me, not so much. It’s ok.

As for tire choice and the 68mph rating of the Contis... 2 things, the 68mph rating is for full load. I won’t be near that 14k +/- load rating. That, and I rarely drive over 70mph anyway. I’m never in a rush when I go anywhere and I’m an MPG miser :)

That and the Goodyear’s are almost a full inch taller, which I don’t want, considerably harder to find, and almost $200 more per tire.

Ahh got it. So cruising at 75mph on those Contis will not be an issue. Very cool to know and it is the sexier tire. :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Ahh got it. So cruising at 75mph on those Contis will not be an issue. Very cool to know and it is the sexier tire. :)

well... not sure on that, but I plan on keeping a close eye on wear..

Like I said, I rarely drive over 70 anyway, I’m “one of those people” hahaha

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
What is your wet weight goal?
Will it be able to fit in a container?

I don't have a "weight goal" actually. I bought the biggest beefiest truck I could so i don't have to nickle and dime myself weighing every single thing i am adding to it trying to make sure i am staying under GVWR. Been there, done that

As the truck sits, I have almost 10k pounds or so that can be added before i am at the GVWR. I am ballpark estimating the camper build out and all add-ons to be around 6-7k and that will give me a decent safety buffer with load ratings and such.

The springs and shocks wont be addressed until it's fully built and weighed, and then i will have springs and shocks built/valved accordingly.

As for container fitment, good question. I went back and forth on this. ME PERSONALLY, i have zero interest in shipping this overseas and traveling outside of North America in it. Majority of my use of this will be in the western US and back country of BC and Yukon Canada.

But... I did consider container fitment for resale value (something i always take into consideration when building something).

Doubtful it will fit in a container, and I am not building it to. But as big as it will be, i am trying to keep it as low, and small as possible ironically, so who knows. I am going to build it to my liking and see how things fall into place.

Last edited:

FourWheelOverland

Four_Wheel_Overland on Instagram
Sad to hear. It seemed that they were very helpful to the other gent on here who built his Ram camper healyjet think? He was over on their forum when he started his build and answered a lot his questions. Will be watching to see what parts you choose.

With regards to your tire choice I like the look of the Conti's but I wonder about the low speed rating of 68mph I think. The goodyears are rated to 78mph I think. Do you like to cruise at 70-75mph? Anyway I am just an armchair looky loo at this point. Hopefully I will be there in a few more years.

Yeah AEV has been very friendly and helpful to me! Hell the owner Dave replies to my messages on Instagram. I needed some simple small replacement parts and either by phone or email they were always friendly and very helpful. Quality customer service from my experience, some of the best customer service in the Industry.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Yeah AEV has been very friendly and helpful to me! Hell the owner Dave replies to my messages on Instagram. I needed some simple small replacement parts and either by phone or email they were always friendly and very helpful. Quality customer service from my experience, some of the best customer service in the Industry.

yeah, seems hit or miss.. several rave they’re the best ever and several friends have had the same experience as me..

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Fun fact, since basically nothing really exists yet for the 2019+ 5500s, compatibility is key.

The Mopar "All Weather" mats from the 2500/3500 fit like a glove, and are even a little nicer and beefier than the Huskys (neither Husky or WeatherTech make any mats for the Reg cabs) ive always ran. $99 for the pair!

Mopar Part #82215759AC, if anyone is looking. (mine are black, this is just a generic photo from the intrawebs)

mats.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I don't want to publicly bash companies, especially those with lots of fan boys.

I'll just say the several unanswered emails, and their rudeness and off the charts arrogance on the phone, was so off-putting, Ive made it a point to never use one of their products ever. I've made it a point to give my money to companies that still believe in customer service, and that treat everyone the same. Regardless of how popular an item is, my $ goes to those that provide great service AND a great product.

They're at the stage now where if you ain't throwing $100k at them to buy a pre-made truck, upcharging $10k worth of parts for $30k, you're a lowly peasant not worth their time. It'll eventually bite them in the butt...

Oops, i guessed i bashed them a little publicly... whoops :)

Interesting. Dave Harrison in person has been incredibly friendly, non-egotistical (kind of a rarity in this industry)...but I'm sure you didn't speak with him on the phone, but instead one of their minions. Sad to hear your experience was poor when the head cheese is nice.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Fun fact, since basically nothing really exists yet for the 2019+ 5500s, compatibility is key.

The Mopar "All Weather" mats from the 2500/3500 fit like a glove, and are even a little nicer and beefier than the Huskys (neither Husky or WeatherTech make any mats for the Reg cabs) ive always ran. $99 for the pair!

Mopar Part #82215759AC, if anyone is looking. (mine are black, this is just a generic photo from the intrawebs)

View attachment 573692

You need to de-chrome that thang. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles