2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well that had to suck some of the fun out!!!

Well... Honestly, oddly, it didnt...

1): I am kind of surprised it took me this long to have any issues or break something.
2): Learned a weak point that will be addressed and built back much better
3): Cool bonding time with bro in law during the repair, we had never worked on anything together before
4): Deep down, i really didnt want to go to the hot springs anyway
5): Wife now fully understands why i carry so much "Crap" with me and now supports its
6): Reminder to check my tool kit before leaving house.
7): Kids got a good lesson on why its important to be over prepared

Was it ideal? No.. Was it a good learning experience for all? Most definitely!

andy_b

1): Zero need for it whatsoever
2): Want to eliminate, not add, possible failure points
3): I know a decent amount of folks personally that have had ssues with them

It makes a great steering stabilizer and the assist can be helpful, although maybe your application is fine without. They do take some dialing in and technically can fail, but they are pretty simple once setup. Personally, once I went hydro-assist, I could never imagine going without.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Got the new swaybar links from Carli, and adjustable trackbar from SuspensionMaxx in yesterday, and all is just mocked up for now until the other bag arrives, and i take it all apart again to install the bag centering plates:

Put the stock trackbar bracket on to get everything all dialed in perfectly, what a royal pain in the ********...

Before i put it all back together for real, a bunch of sharp-ish edges are going to be ground down nice and smooth around the bump stop, and front of the shock tower, just because

@mk216v will be all excited the links are "PinTops" [insert smiley kissy face middle finger emoji)

swaybarlinks.jpg

trackbarcompareFORUM.jpg

Alloy

Note2: Another reason the Kelderman is superior to the Liquid Spring in my opinion, not a chance in hell you'd be repairing a hydraulic line trailside in this situation.

I've repaired more than 1 hyd hose up on the side of a mountain logging slash and 2 days away from any help while fishing. All you need is hyd hose and reusable fittings.

For the hyd system on my trailer I replaced all the plasic hoses with 2 wire and made the hoses the same length. I carry 2 spare hoses. You have to do _uck of allot more to a 2 wire hyd hose for it to fail than an air (which I also carry a spare for) bag.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Your posts are always interesting to me and I appreciate the details and pictures.

It looks like we are at opposite ends of the spectrum since you are building a custom rig and dealing with all the associated pitfalls. To a degree, you and others are paving the way for future 4500 and 5500 development which I consider a good thing.

I have been building, breaking, and repairing rigs since the early 90s and I decided to go in a different direction. The only labor required for my AEV Prospector and FWC combo has been me vocalizing my bank account information over a phone two years ago.

My reward has been a quick build on a stable platform, and thousands of miles on the trails. And I carry zero tools.

Best of luck and keep up your reporting and pictures - I always enjoy them.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Your posts are always interesting to me and I appreciate the details and pictures.

It looks like we are at opposite ends of the spectrum since you are building a custom rig and dealing with all the associated pitfalls. To a degree, you and others are paving the way for future 4500 and 5500 development which I consider a good thing.

I have been building, breaking, and repairing rigs since the early 90s and I decided to go in a different direction. The only labor required for my AEV Prospector and FWC combo has been me vocalizing my bank account information over a phone two years ago.

My reward has been a quick build on a stable platform, and thousands of miles on the trails. And I carry zero tools.

Best of luck and keep up your reporting and pictures - I always enjoy them.

Thank you sir…. We done often agree on stuff, but I love your go get it attitude always out there using your rig for what it’s made for. I respect the hell out of that and you’re enjoying it too, that’s the main goal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles