2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

john61ct

Adventurer
No matter the vendor, sources and meters need to be adjusted by a knowledgeable owner.

Every single vendor uses specs by default that are **not** conducive to optimizing for longevity.

Following the official data sheet specs might result in say 3000 - 4000 cycle lifespans.

Whereas LFP can reach 8000 - 10,000 with better coddling, avoiding the shoulders at both ends, higher avg DoD%, etc.

No manufacturer of LFP batteries nor meters, charging gear acknowledges this info nor funds testing along those lines.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Or simply rely on a good battery management system, for instance the Victron BMS with a Victron shunt, etc.

It makes sense that Victron’s integration will manage battery charging effectively and to ensure a reliable system that extends battery life within the serviceable life they position their batteries for.

That’s why I believe it’s worth using a Victron MPPT with a Victron inverter/charger, with a Victron chassis charging solution (BtB charger or Cyrix battery combiner) and Victron LiPo battery.

It’s also fair to accept that Victron (or another reputable manufacturer of equipment) will properly support batteries from other reputable manufacturers.
Exactly my thoughts sir!

One could have an anuerism worrying about such minutia in the grand scheme of things really

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
No matter the vendor, sources and meters need to be adjusted by a knowledgeable owner.

Every single vendor uses specs by default that are **not** conducive to optimizing for longevity.

Following the official data sheet specs might result in say 3000 - 4000 cycle lifespans.

Whereas LFP can reach 8000 - 10,000 with better coddling, avoiding the shoulders at both ends, higher avg DoD%, etc.

No manufacturer of LFP batteries nor meters, charging gear acknowledges this info nor funds testing along those lines.
So i should trust "Some Dude On The Intraweb" over one of the world leaders in Solar Technology for RVs?

Ok... Ill get right on that

[insert facepalm]

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
For anyone interested... (posting here before the classifieds section, which is a comedy show i dont have time or patience to deal with)

I am selling a basically new Tern Overland aka Arctic Tern 300x700mm window...

I installed it, wanted a bigger window, and removed it. Its basically new, no scratches, has all the hardward, and shade/screen etc...

It is for the 45mm-54mm wall thickness

All the exact specs and measurements can be found on their site: https://www.ternoverland.com/arctic-tern-window

They sell for $446 plus shipping

I want $350 picked up in San Diego.

I WILL NOT ship this... Dont care if youre buddy works at UPS, you can use your companies UPS account, etc...

NO SHIPPING, DON'T ASK [insert smiling middle finger emoji]

svinyard

@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING How's the Airhead working out so far now? I got ours installed (same JR vent) and our family of 4 using it (2 adults and 2 boys). It was great until it wasn't lol. I think we got some of the liquids into the solids bucket or not dry enough Coco Coir so it had a sewer smell. Thankfully it was just an overnight trip. I identified that most of the smell was coming out near the ceiling cowl. It has a rubber gasket but the fan wiring sticking out prevents a perfect seal and those hose connection isn't sealed. I just put some silicon around the edge of of the cowl gasket and also near where the hose screws into that cowl. It made a huge, immediate improvement on keeping the stank out of the camper. Obviously I need to get the solids bucket in new stinky shape, but at least sealing it keeps that smell out if it does happen.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING How's the Airhead working out so far now? I got ours installed (same JR vent) and our family of 4 using it (2 adults and 2 boys). It was great until it wasn't lol. I think we got some of the liquids into the solids bucket or not dry enough Coco Coir so it had a sewer smell. Thankfully it was just an overnight trip. I identified that most of the smell was coming out near the ceiling cowl. It has a rubber gasket but the fan wiring sticking out prevents a perfect seal and those hose connection isn't sealed. I just put some silicon around the edge of of the cowl gasket and also near where the hose screws into that cowl. It made a huge, immediate improvement on keeping the stank out of the camper. Obviously I need to get the solids bucket in new stinky shape, but at least sealing it keeps that smell out if it does happen.
@svinyard I’ve used it a lot now, so my feedback is from real world now.

I’m a big fat guy that drinks a lot of beer and eats crappy food. My turds are bigger and stinkier than most.

With that said, I am baffled and super happy with the fact I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO stink whatsoever. I even let the camper sit it in the sun for 2 weeks after recent trip without touching the toilet and not even a remote smell whatsoever. Yes, I was diligent in the sealing of the fan and the gasket and made sure it was perfect.

Also, what’s very important is to have a piece of PVC or something between the inside roof and the outside roof and that has to be sealed also, or the stank will go into the insulation.

On the #2 end, I’m super super happy and impressed

On the #1 end though... I guess I never realized how much pee actually pee. Stayed at a campground (rare) recently and within 2 days the pee bottle was full. Normally I just Pee outside whenever I need to go, but there was kids everywhere and I was too lazy to walk to the bathroom.

Under my usual circumstances of remote camping and peeing outside, I probably wouldn’t have issues.

But if used even somewhat frequently, the pee bottle fills up FAST.

I may at some point reroute the pee into a gray tank, and just use the poo feature. Will see.

But so far, I still feel the AirHead is well worth it personally

svinyard

@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING Nice to hear its working. I wondered about the composite getting fumes leaked into. I'm not sure how permeable to that it is but nevertheless I took your advice and applied a solid layer of that sealant all over the exposed hole. Yeah our pee bucket fills up in a day and half more or less. I expected that and so far its been fine.

danneskjold

No one asked me...but I installed an Airhead back in August and have been living in my camper roughly 1/3 of the time since then and I’ve never once had to empty the compost area. It’s remarkable how even a couple week break totally changes the composition of the “compost” and allows the actual composting process to work. It’s really the perfect option for weekend warriors or people who aren’t true full timers, and for full timers it still kicks the ******** out of having a black tank or cassette toilet I think.

Personally, I almost never use the pee container and if I have to go inside I just use a bottle as I feel it’s easier to empty.