2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Another minor update is that i added some porch/camp lights (sans porch).
Used the Baja Designs 45 degree angle jobsite lights:
Had you thought about using yellow porch lights? Red has an even longer wavelength, but that might attract the wrong 'elements' to your campsite. :rolleyes:

If you can’t dissuade bugs from being attracted to light, the best thing homeowners can do is use lighting that insects can’t see. Larvae have simple eyes that can only differentiate between dark and light. Adult insects on the other hand have compound eyes that go beyond light and dark.
However, adult insect sight is a little more complex. Adult insects have either bichromatic or trichromatic eyesight. Insects with bichromatic eyesight have two types of color receptors whereas trichromatic eyesight have three color receptors. The bugs with trichromatic eyesight can see more colors.
The light spectrum includes a variety of colors. Different colors are seen at different wavelengths, which are measured in nanometers. Insects, like humans, can’t detect the entire spectrum of light.
wl.jpg
In general, the longer/lower the wavelength is the less likely a bug is to see the associated color. Looking at a light spectrum chart you’ll notice that warmer colors like red, orange and yellow have the lowest/longest wavelengths. Red, which is at the far end of the spectrum, is actually completely invisible to insects.
Lighting manufacturers have caught on to insect eyesight anatomy. In recent years they’ve started making specially colored bulbs that are specifically designed for outdoor use so you can get decent illumination while attracting fewer bugs.

180out

when i got my used GXV it had no dinette. the guy who had it built just put in a small fixed table and had two office chairs in there. he would strap the chairs to the wall for travel. it was the worse for off road as the chairs would work just loose enough to rattle and scuff up the walls. i had to design and build from scratch a new set up. i went with a fixed table and made the bench backs pivot up and latch to the table to make a "bed" if needed. we travel 99% of the time with just the two of us so it does not get used but it is there if need be. i figured the functioning non rattling table would be my first priority and room for a friend was way down on my list! tents are cheep and i don't want you in my space anyhow.

Korey H

Ok, some kinda uneventful updates, but its progress, sooooo...

Its no secret i have no wood working skills, and its most definitely my least favorite part of all this, but i've kinda got the hang of it with some guidance from friends.

Have learned several valuable lessons too. One big one, DONT EVER EVER EVER Polyurethane something, until you're 100% on the color! :)

I spent damn near a weak building this side of the dinette, and sanding and staining it. Came out amazing in my opinion...

But... Once i got it in the truck, i absolutely hated it, and there was way too much Feng, and not nearly enough Shui. It stuck out so much, it was extremely annoying.

Sooo... After all this work making it pretty, i stripped it all down again, and using some gray stain to match the floors.

It's still some trial and error, and this isnt the final product, but i much prefer this and the direction its going in.

The large dark piece will be painted black to match the other side.

Note: After ample messing around with and testing the Lagun table system, i am not impressed with it at all, and will be selling it soon (good sales pitch huh? ha)

View attachment 649070

View attachment 649071

View attachment 649072

We just received a Springfield gas actuated base, I’m
Impressed with its quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Part number on the job site light? Looks good does it have a flood light pattern?

It has a scatter pattern so cover lots of area without alot of throw to blind those around ya. But... Thats why i love BD so much, they have tons of different lens that swap out in 2 mins for different patterns if needed:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Had you thought about using yellow porch lights? Red has an even longer wavelength, but that might attract the wrong 'elements' to your campsite. :rolleyes:

If you can’t dissuade bugs from being attracted to light, the best thing homeowners can do is use lighting that insects can’t see. Larvae have simple eyes that can only differentiate between dark and light. Adult insects on the other hand have compound eyes that go beyond light and dark.
However, adult insect sight is a little more complex. Adult insects have either bichromatic or trichromatic eyesight. Insects with bichromatic eyesight have two types of color receptors whereas trichromatic eyesight have three color receptors. The bugs with trichromatic eyesight can see more colors.
The light spectrum includes a variety of colors. Different colors are seen at different wavelengths, which are measured in nanometers. Insects, like humans, can’t detect the entire spectrum of light.
View attachment 649129
In general, the longer/lower the wavelength is the less likely a bug is to see the associated color. Looking at a light spectrum chart you’ll notice that warmer colors like red, orange and yellow have the lowest/longest wavelengths. Red, which is at the far end of the spectrum, is actually completely invisible to insects.
Lighting manufacturers have caught on to insect eyesight anatomy. In recent years they’ve started making specially colored bulbs that are specifically designed for outdoor use so you can get decent illumination while attracting fewer bugs.

Yes, and thanks for the great detailed info! I appreciate it.

I had these lights laying around from a previous project and wasnt sure they'd work for this, but it seems they work perfectly.

I will most likely be changing the lenses to yellow, since i have those here in a box somewhere. I agree 100% and HATE bugs

Thanks man

Reactions: mog

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
when i got my used GXV it had no dinette. the guy who had it built just put in a small fixed table and had two office chairs in there. he would strap the chairs to the wall for travel. it was the worse for off road as the chairs would work just loose enough to rattle and scuff up the walls. i had to design and build from scratch a new set up. i went with a fixed table and made the bench backs pivot up and latch to the table to make a "bed" if needed. we travel 99% of the time with just the two of us so it does not get used but it is there if need be. i figured the functioning non rattling table would be my first priority and room for a friend was way down on my list! tents are cheep and i don't want you in my space anyhow.

Thanks!

Thats actually the route i think i'm going to take also.

The chances i'll ever actually need this as a bed are close to zero and a fixed table solves alot of issues and saves space.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
We just received a Springfield gas actuated base, I’m
Impressed with its quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that was actually my original plan, and the route i was going.

But at 12" diameter, the base took up too much valuable foot room, and i know it would eventually drive me nuts

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I'm sure wheeleveryweekeed could whip you up a leg. Mine is 1.25" tube and a 4" square base....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I’m thinking an extrusion on one side of the wall with 2 bolts holding that side and then a leg on the edge of it. Leaving ample unobstructed room under the table itself. It’s also valuable storage space for stuff while in transit

danneskjold

Yes, and thanks for the great detailed info! I appreciate it.

I had these lights laying around from a previous project and wasnt sure they'd work for this, but it seems they work perfectly.

I will most likely be changing the lenses to yellow, since i have those here in a box somewhere. I agree 100% and HATE bugs

Thanks man

Not sure how far along you are with those...but the lenses are almost impossible to swap on the angle squadrons if they’re mounted. Not impossible, just very difficult. I’d recommend using some really light glue or something similar.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Not sure how far along you are with those...but the lenses are almost impossible to swap on the angle squadrons if they’re mounted. Not impossible, just very difficult. I’d recommend using some really light glue or something similar.

Hmmm... I’m looking at them right now, what am I missing? Looks simple

svinyard

Hey man, my Airhead isn't installed yet and I haven't decided on how I wanted to plumb the fan. Stoked that you are liking it as I'm new to these as well and was a bit concerned. It'll be a godsend to have a decent toilet that isn't a nightmare to deal with...and can be used for a couple weeks without emptying it.

1- Where did you plumb your fan for the Airhead? Out the ceiling or to the side? I'm considering dumping that air into the bed of the truck out the side...or out the back, but that is where we enter the camper.

2- How did you mount it to the floor? My camper is all composite as well, not wanting to just bolt it to the floor.

3- Do you recommend using the coffee filters/liners before dropping a boozy deuce?

4- Are you emptying it after the weekend or just leaving it in there as it dries out?

A big thanks to @DiploStrat and a few others here who i forget for talking me into going the compositing toilet route, over the cassette style!

Finally got it out for a local trip last weekend to the desert and had the toilet fan plumbed and ready.

I was admittedly a little skeptical...

Well.. to be blunt and nasty... 4 days, and 4 giant nasty booze induced turds later, i am very happy to report, it works as advertised 110%

Camper has been sitting in the sun for over a week now, and there is ZERO smell/stank whatsover.

I have a super sensitive nose and there isnt even the faintest smell at all.

Yeah, you can find cheaper ones, yeah, you can make your own, yeah, your clapped out 1987 Jeep Cherokee goes where i cant go, but this is the unit i went with and super super happy with it:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey man, my Airhead isn't installed yet and I haven't decided on how I wanted to plumb the fan. Stoked that you are liking it as I'm new to these as well and was a bit concerned. It'll be a godsend to have a decent toilet that isn't a nightmare to deal with...and can be used for a couple weeks without emptying it.

1- Where did you plumb your fan for the Airhead? Out the ceiling or to the side? I'm considering dumping that air into the bed of the truck out the side...or out the back, but that is where we enter the camper.

2- How did you mount it to the floor? My camper is all composite as well, not wanting to just bolt it to the floor.

3- Do you recommend using the coffee filters/liners before dropping a boozy deuce?

4- Are you emptying it after the weekend or just leaving it in there as it dries out?

Nice! Yeah, so far i am super impressed!

1): It's all in my latest YouTube video. I routed it through the roof. My reasoning is, the futher away from where i am, the better. If its routed underneath, the odors could possibly build up. If routed to the side, i didnt want to catch any wiffs of the odors while camping. They recommend the shortest hose run possible for best performance, but literally hundreds of boat owners with long hose runs that are loving it. Also, my subframe wouldnt allow me to run it through the floor

2): 4 lag bolts through the fibershell and into the plywood underneath it. Not sure how else you could mount this.

3): Yes

4): For now, i left it all in there, to see if any odors develop, and to see how fast it all decomposes. By mistake i used regular charmin toilet paper, and not the easily decomposing kind, so we will see. But so far, zero smell whatsoever and thats all i really care about

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94