2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

ITTOG

Craft Beer he says! HAHAHAHA!

No thanks, I am clean shaven
Okay, so you drink water with a little food coloring. Or is it watered down beer. Those are the lines I give my father-in-law when he breaks out Bud, Miller, Keystone, etc. He basically buys whatever is cheapest. I keep telling him my pee has more beer in it than what he drinks. All fun and games. LOL!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Tacosalad!!
I'm loving the Mom's Attic. Well done sir.
Driver rear gray water tank; what about putting a simple v-valley/trough in it for the 2 fuel lines to sit in? Like this pic of an aluminum fuel tank here?;
20200428_NOMADVANZ_iPhone_TankInstall-1875-150x150.jpeg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Tacosalad!!
I'm loving the Mom's Attic. Well done sir.
Driver rear gray water tank; what about putting a simple v-valley/trough in it for the 2 fuel lines to sit in? Like this pic of an aluminum fuel tank here?;
20200428_NOMADVANZ_iPhone_TankInstall-1875-150x150.jpeg

Yeah. That’s the plan, kind of

Itd be a nightmare to calculate and draw it up to give to HPI to build them that way.

I will most likely order them as is, and have a local friend cut, fit, and reweld accordingly to fit the fillers

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yeah. That’s the plan, kind of

Itd be a nightmare to calculate and draw it up to give to HPI to build them that way.

I will most likely order them as is, and have a local friend cut, fit, and reweld accordingly to fit the fillers

If you’re lazy and stick to IG for your research like @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING then you likely won’t get a custom gray water tank built from the get-go. (LOL, zing! :p :ROFLMAO:?)
Yes it'll be more expensive for HPI to build this custom tank with a trough, but they have talented engineers who can do this.
Or yeah, pay for an HPI box, then pay someone else to modify the HPI work and fit your needs.

Are you worried about trying to keep it non-frozen? Having an external tank is nice but sucks when it freezes.

Could add a heating element to it, if your situation changes down the road.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
If you’re lazy and stick to IG for your research like @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING then you likely won’t get a custom gray water tank built from the get-go. (LOL, zing! :p :ROFLMAO:?)
Yes it'll be more expensive for HPI to build this custom tank with a trough, but they have talented engineers who can do this.
Or yeah, pay for an HPI box, then pay someone else to modify the HPI work and fit your needs.

I’ll give your Zing a rating of 4...

I have zero doubt HPI could build it perfectly and have no issues paying them to do so

What I do have doubt in, is my ability to properly draw it all out for them accurately. Sooooo [insert kissy face and middle finger emoji]

I wouldn’t pay someone to modify it. I’m fortunate to have talented friends that enjoy helping...

Maybe when I’m ready for all the boxes I’ll just drive it up there to them and let them figure it out

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I’ll give your Zing a rating of 4...

I have zero doubt HPI could build it perfectly and have no issues paying them to do so

What I do have doubt in, is my ability to properly draw it all out for them accurately. Sooooo [insert kissy face and middle finger emoji]

I wouldn’t pay someone to modify it. I’m fortunate to have talented friends that enjoy helping...

Maybe when I’m ready for all the boxes I’ll just drive it up there to them and let them figure it out

On a scale of 5, I did pretty good eh?
Understood on your skillz with crayons. :geek: (same way here)...Don't you have some Baja1000 engineer buddies that could draw it up for you?
Straight to HPI could also work. LMK when you arrive and I'll meet you there.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
On a scale of 5, I did pretty good eh?
Understood on your skillz with crayons. :geek: (same way here)...Don't you have some Baja1000 engineer buddies that could draw it up for you?
Straight to HPI could also work. LMK when you arrive and I'll meet you there.

The scale goes to 73, soooo

Yeah, the boxes are somewhat on the back burner for awhile and lower priority. Will cross that bridge when I get to it.

For sure, I’ll give you ample warning when I head up, so you can plan all your fuel stops to meet up ?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The scale goes to 73, soooo

Yeah, the boxes are somewhat on the back burner for awhile and lower priority. Will cross that bridge when I get to it.

For sure, I’ll give you ample warning when I head up, so you can plan all your fuel stops to meet up ?

LMA-O. At least I use ExPo as my comedic input o' the day.

I'm picking up an old TacoChaser trailer (built by one of your favorite people), and I'm going to have Titan make a custom 2000L poly PETROL fuel bladder for it, and tow behind my dogpizzaovenmobile so I never run on fumes. :p

somewhereinursa

Only weird unexpected hang up i have now is the front fuel tank filler hose.

The cab and chassis give you a kit when you buy the truck with long lengths of hose you cut to fit, and when i tried to give it an extra few inches (thats what she said) to allow for the flexing/movement, the hose immediately kinks.

I am going to try a few local places to see if they have hoses that are a bit more forgiving.

So far, so good
I've been following along with your build. It's really nice and seems to fit the bill for what I would like to do in the not so distant future (currently in the design phase). Can you elaborate on the sizing of the tubing for the subframe (2 x 3 ?) and what size/strength that you used for the subframe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke