2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The danger is that the concentrated load will eventually cause the underlying foam to fail... and then the skin. Taking a WAG that the foam has ~100 psi strength, you'd want to be well shy of that. More of the angle brackets or longer angle pieces would help.

Agree 100%. That's literally exactly what I said id be going! :D

As mentioned, This is just test.

And, there would be ton more brackets to distribute the load evenly so there were no “point loads”

This particular spot isn’t load bearing, and not weight would ever be on it.

For the ones that are, im thinking large long piece of angled aluminum would be perfect.

Last edited:

danneskjold

Kind of an odd choice to run two 30 amp chargers separately connected, versus one 60 amp charger. Sounds like someone totally overthinking something and making things a lot more complicated than they need to be honestly

30a is the biggest Orion that Victron makes. Not sure why, but I wish I had just got the larger Sterling instead of my Orion like you did. I think I just got suckered into the Victron ecosystem, which I love, but the Orion really has nothing to do with it (no VE direct port or anything).

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
30a is the biggest Orion that Victron makes. Not sure why, but I wish I had just got the larger Sterling instead of my Orion like you did. I think I just got suckered into the Victron ecosystem, which I love, but the Orion really has nothing to do with it (no VE direct port or anything).

Victron also makes 50a and 100a DCDC chargers called the “buck boost”.

I had considered them because I love Victron stuff, but couldn’t find anyone actually using them to get real world feedback and they’re obscenely expensive

smurfsky101

Kind of an odd choice to run two 30 amp chargers separately connected, versus one 60 amp charger. Sounds like someone totally overthinking something and making things a lot more complicated than they need to be honestly

One thing is you can run smaller cables if there's less current running through them. These 4/0's are frickin' huge.

BTW - if you guys are interested I'm going forward with adding a second alternator (280 amp) connected to a balmar alternator regulator. The alternator is supposed to push 200A at idle, we'll see. Just ordered the parts yesterday, should be in next week

https://shop.pkys.com/Balmar-MC-614...nhhIfT08a2wgF-97AnFkScouFEQhDfoEaAnwTEALw_wcB

java

Expedition Leader
I'm running 4awg (not 4/0) which is ample for 60amps.

I have about a 12ft run from truck batter to the Sterling in my camper, and I've tested it with a solid consistent 58amps in real life, not on paper.
Should have used yellow. It carries more amps.

All kidding aside, I am doing a high idle circuit on mine. Curious to see what it does. Supposedly battery drain dependant.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

danneskjold

Should have used yellow. It carries more amps.

All kidding aside, I am doing a high idle circuit on mine. Curious to see what it does. Supposedly battery drain dependant.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have high idle on mine and it’s great for winching and jumping other trucks (especially diesels). Just another tool in the toolbox.

Ahhd58

Hate to be the bearer of bad news...but they definitely don’t get any quieter over time.

sound deadening is desperately needed on Ford XLT/ Ram SLT. Google sound deadening showdown. They make great stuff. Start with the seals on the bottom of the doors and the wall behind the rear seat. Most of your noise is coming thru there.

love the build. I’m dreaming of a similar set up.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
sound deadening is desperately needed on Ford XLT/ Ram SLT. Google sound deadening showdown. They make great stuff. Start with the seals on the bottom of the doors and the wall behind the rear seat. Most of your noise is coming thru there.

love the build. I’m dreaming of a similar set up.

I drove the F550 and the Ram 5500 in the same day and the sound deadening in the Ram was night and day better was a large part of my decision for it

Ahhd58

I drove the F550 and the Ram 5500 in the same day and the sound deadening in the Ram was night and day better was a large part of my decision for it
Understood. I wasn’t clear. The higher end fords/rams have a ton more sound deadening in them. Iirc a XL model will be about 1200#s lighter than a lariat trim level.

I was also disappointed in the noise in the f550. But that 10 speed transmission was sooo nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94