2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Im confused on your off road ability needs. Admittedly you will be limited off road by size but it will be equipped with 41" tires and monster winches F & R. Will you be installing lockers also? If so where do you see the need?

Won't be installing lockers.
1) They dont make anything for the 5500 yet
2) I don't see them being all that effective for my needs/uses on a priority scale, much more functional, more often used things to do first. Will i add them at some point? Possibly, if my needs change. But it would be very long down the road.

Why front and rear winches...
1) I usually travel alone and usually end up way off the beating path, self recovery is paramount, as is being able to fix my ********.
2) The handful of times i've needed extraction its been in a rearward motion where a rear winch would of been key. I know this is a hot topic debate and everyone has their .02, but i see a rear winch more important than a front personally, to each is own on this, its been beating to death. I've had a front winch on vehicles for 20+ years and the handful of times i've used them, has been for others, and once moving a tree. I can think of a half dozen times personally a rear winch would of been more ideal.

Last edited:

flylow4500

Observer
Sweet truck! Both of the 4500’s I’ve built had tight rear limited slips. No need for a rear locker In my opinion.
A couple of the clips on those fender flares are always tricky. Did you break any?
The brakes and turning radius are very attractive on the 45-5500s.
I don’t know how you can stand the rear leafs and ride? Drive one with a four bag kit and kings and you won’t care about having a couple more moving parts. :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Sweet truck! Both of the 4500’s I’ve built had tight rear limited slips. No need for a rear locker In my opinion.
A couple of the clips on those fender flares are always tricky. Did you break any?
The brakes and turning radius are very attractive on the 45-5500s.
I don’t know how you can stand the rear leafs and ride? Drive one with a four bag kit and kings and you won’t care about having a couple more moving parts. :)

Thanks!

Yeah, most of the clips came out easily, a couple broke, that’s fine, I’m not reusing them :)

The turn radius actually blew me away. I knew it would be pretty good. But it’s almost half what my Tundra was!

With no weight on it, the brakes are pretty annoying, I’ve already almost launched myself through the windshield more than once! Hahahahaha

The ride unloaded obviously isn’t ideal, but it’s not as horrendous as I expected. I won’t be taking it Offroad anytime soon, but it’s ok enough for the freeway

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
2 part answer..

“Where will it go my Tundra didn’t?”
No where. In fact, less places due to size and such. I’m perfectly fine with that and now that I’m older, I’m not doing the more extreme trails and such.. I don’t need to compete with the “that won’t fit where I go” types, been there, probably went there” :)

“What will it do your Tundra didn’t?”
-More comfortable living quarters in camper
-Easier/Quicker setup, important when doing my twice a year monthly road trips
-Better in hotter or colder climates
-Have good quality appliances I’m not spending half my trip dicking with
-Won’t need any propane
-Hopefully get more than 9mpg loaded ?
-Estimating it to have almost double the range between fuel stops, which can save a decent chunk of change depending on areas
-Obviously a lot more storage

Those and once the tundra and FWC was done and i used it, I got bored and wanted to build something new.

I’m sure I’ll think of more later...
Good for you. I like the wheels too. Are you going to upgrade the shocks?

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
What valveable shock will you be using?

Not 100% sure yet, but most likely ADS 3" smooth bodies. Their service, turn around time, and products are some of the best i've seen. The 2.5s they setup for my Tundra were simply magical.

The rear will be easy, standard eyelet stuff with nothing in the way anywhere. Front will be a bit trickier and require some shenanigans.

I'm fortunate to live in the mecca of offroad fab for the big baja race vehicles and king of the hammers stuff and have a bunch of super talented friends. Suspension (setup) voodoo is out of my wheelhouse.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Not 100% sure yet, but most likely ADS 3" smooth bodies. Their service, turn around time, and products are some of the best i've seen. The 2.5s they setup for my Tundra were simply magical.

The rear will be easy, standard eyelet stuff with nothing in the way anywhere. Front will be a bit trickier and require some shenanigans.

I'm fortunate to live in the mecca of offroad fab for the big baja race vehicles and king of the hammers stuff and have a bunch of super talented friends. Suspension (setup) voodoo is out of my wheelhouse.

AZ company with strong CS. Results should be cool and one-of-a-kind. I look forward to seeing a 5500 sucking up whoops. ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior