2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

OverlandFT

Looks good! I used something similar from HD and had the same mentality, it's a cheap option that's simple to replace if it sucks. So far, my floors seems to be holding up perfectly after the first 6 days of camping use.

bobaloo

What is the height from top of frame rail to ground when aired to ride height? I think I've seen it somewhere in the 35 pages but can't find it now.

I don't think this was covered, or I missed it.

Why did you have to move your forward axle 1in forward? To keep the same steering angle, or to keep from cutting into firewall etc? Do you know how DBL keeps from lifting their Ram installs, or do they also move forward an inch to keep from having to install a lift.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Looks good! I used something similar from HD and had the same mentality, it's a cheap option that's simple to replace if it sucks. So far, my floors seems to be holding up perfectly after the first 6 days of camping use.

Nice! Glad to hear it’s for working for ya.

seems like one of those too good to be true things to me. Good, easy, cheap rarely exist together ?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
What is the height from top of frame rail to ground when aired to ride height? I think I've seen it somewhere in the 35 pages but can't find it now.
Well... I dont quite know what my "ride height" is yet, as i havent really dialed in the suspension. But as it is sitting right now, with the 41" MPTs and Kelderman set to stock height, its 39 3/4” from bottom of ground to top of frame rails.

I don't think this was covered, or I missed it.
Because its a trivial measurement really

Why did you have to move your forward axle 1in forward? To keep the same steering angle, or to keep from cutting into firewall etc?
This has been discussed repeatedly both in this thread and on my youtube. Dont be a "Gary"

Do you know how DBL keeps from lifting their Ram installs, or do they also move forward an inch to keep from having to install a lift.

I talked with Daniel (DBL) at length about this and he wouldnt give me a straight answer other than cutting and welding, which HAS to be into the firewall a fair amount. No thank you!

He has a video on his YouTube somewhere about the cutting needed to run the tires "without lift" on an F550. Its very substantial and can't fathom cutting that much on a brand new truck, but for each is own.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Switching up my house electronics plan so selling some parts i bought. Both brand new, never used.

Unboxed them to do some test fitting, but never even wired them up or turned them on.

I am going with the Cerbo GX system instead.

Located in San Diego.

Prices if separated:

Color Control GX
Paid: $480
Sell: $450

BMV712
Paid: $206
Sell: $180

If you buy both:

Paid $686
Sell $620 (shipped CONUS)

Photos (from their website, actual boxes are at my friends shop right now)

Victron Energy-BMV-712 Smart.jpgCCGX-2.jpg

Last edited:

OverlandFT

I talked with Daniel (DBL) at length about this and he wouldnt give me a straight answer other than cutting and welding, which HAS to be into the firewall a fair amount. No thank you!

He has a video on his YouTube somewhere about the cutting needed to run the tires "without lift" on an F550. Its very substantial and can't fathom cutting that much on a brand new truck, but for each is own.

It's probably the equivalent to installing AEV highmark fenders. I had to cut out a lot of metal from the back of the wheel well, including smashing the pinch welds flat. It's not for the weak of heart! I've also read the Ram 4500/5500 benefit from already having the axle pushed forward a bit. The 40.5" tires fit pretty easily without a lift and AEV fenders (at least 4th gen). Admittedly, there's still slight rubbing on the wheel well liner at full lock (which I didn't limit) and a lift would eliminate it.

I'm surprised you didn't go with the 2019+ highmark fenders. AEV's fenders really stands alone for clearance and quality, even though the install process was awful and tedious. They would look great on your truck too!

Reactions: mog

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I'm surprised you didn't go with the 2019+ highmark fenders. AEV's fenders really stands alone for clearance and quality, even though the install process was awful and tedious. They would look great on your truck too!

I’ve repeatedly voiced my dislike for AEV their piss poor customer service on here sir.

Their flares would accomplish basically nothing on the 4500/5500s.

The 4500/5500 stock flares are almost double the width of the 2500/3500 flares.

Soooo... the AEV flares would MAYBE give an extra inch, if that, of coverage

If you look close on the GXV Adventure Trucks that use the Ram5500 and the AEV flares, they also Install a cheesy looking piece of lawn edging looking material and it still doesn’t cover the tires.

So yeah, no... ?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Here are some photos of the AEV HIghmark Flares on the GXV Ram trucks with "lawn edging" added and still not covering the tires. Personally, i think it looks cheesy as hell

Probably half dozen folks on this thread asked why i didnt go with their flares. This is one of the several reasons:

flarefail.jpg

flarefail2.jpg

flarefail3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles