2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
With no bed or inhibitions about cutting and drilling a new truck, you should be fine.

Looking forward to seeing the results, even more looking forward to hearing about the ride post-install.

That’s the kicker...

Before truck was in my possession I had researched the Kelderman and read their instructions.

Instructions show a ton of cutting and torches of various bits off of the frame. Was no chance I was going to do that to a brand new truck.

Once I got truck in my possession, every single thing that used to need to be torched or ground of the frame is now held on with a nut and bolt. No grinding at all on the 2019+ 5500s

That was definitely the deciding factor in trying it. If I don’t like it, everything bolts back on and nothing permanently changed

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Got it all torn down and ready!

Funny, the hardest part of removing everything was disconnecting the parking brake, true story. What a bizarre and ridiculous design.

Only thing that needed to be ground off was the spring perches and it was NUTS how they were just held on with 2 TINY tack welds. Guess it’s because the axle is square.

Every bracket I removed showed a TON of rust underneath it so I hit is all with a wire wheel and did 2 coats of POR15

Tomorrow morning assembly begins!

The instruction both included with the kit, and on their website are subpar at best. Lots of extra stuff not mentioned anywhere on either instructions. Should make for an interesting day :p

leafsremovedFORUM.jpg

frameclean2FORUM.jpg

framecleanFORUM.jpg

perchremovedFORUM.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Got the kit installed for the most part yesterday. Thanks to my friend @Cody22 for stopping by and lending a hand and providing adult supervision.

NOTES, for others considering the kit:

GOOD:
-The general quality of the bracketry, engineering, design, adjust-ability far exceeds my expectations.
-95% of the kit is top shelf beefcake and i have 100% confidence I'll never break any of it.
-Called their tech support a couple times, and Kyle was very helpful and understanding of my frustration with the instructions. Apparently 95% of their installs are via their dealer/certified shops, not by a redneck in his driveway. :)

IRRITATING:
-Instructions (both the included ones and their website) are from 2008 and there has been many changes in the models since. They give you a rough idea whats going on, but that's about it.
-I figured out most of this install by creeping the web for trucks with the kit and looking at what goes where.
-Hardware. There is gobs and gobs of hardware for the kit and most of it isn't labeled or organized.

BAD:
-The air line they include with the kit is trash. 1/4" flimsy, easily kinked. I've used cheaper Firestone bags on various trucks that came with much better line. The lines are temporarily installed for now, but will be replaced with 3/8" line used for the big rig air brakes with stainless Norgen fittings like i used on my last couple trucks.
-Brake line relocation brackets simply don't exist. The ones mentioned in the instructions only apply to older models and nothing like the newer ones. I should be able to fab up a couple fairly easily, but for what the kit costs, its pretty lame they aren't included.

WHAT THE HELL:
-They offer 2 kits, -3" and stock height. I ordered stock height. Both on their website and the included instructions, the measurement from bottom bag mount to top bag mount is supposed to be 8". After the install i inflated the bags to get the frame rails to stock height that i had measured before starting the install and got a measurement of 11.5". It took a tech support phone call and a lot of racking my brain to finally figure out the instructions are all for the -3 kit because the primary use of this kit is generally for ambulances and they all use -3

NOTES:
-The presta valve just dangling there will be re-routed to the rear bumper onces its finished and i get all the parts to convert it to 3/8"
-Exhaust is within 1/4" of the lower bag mount and it doesnt appear that moving it will be all that easy. More on that later
-Still havent done the sway bar yet. They provide a new huge one at least twice the size of whats on there now, but the bracketry doesnt even come close to lining up with my truck. I'll deal with that later.

OVERALL:
-Despite the little gripes, I am VERY pleased with the kit and its quality, and look forward to a test drive later today after i finish up relocating the brake lines, and tidying up some wiring.

keldermaninstalled_FORUM.jpg

Ninelitetrip

Looks great. You would expect that after so many years the instructions would be updated and enhanced, however on the flip side it could very well be intentional to keep the installs with the certified pro’s and dissuade the driveway enthusiast.. ?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
It might just be the angle of the picture but the bag sure looks close to the exhaust. Any worries?

Although yes, the angle is weird, i do have to figure out something with the exhaust. Its not as close to the bag at all like it appears there, but it is just 1/4" off the bottom bag plate. I double and triple checked everything, and its all installed properly, so we shall see

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I did a quick 50 mile test drive yesterday, and all i can say is holy hell what a difference. Set back to stock right height, which ends up being about 1/4" higher than the suggested measurements, the truck is night and day amazing. Better in every aspect.

Need to finish up some small details on it today and another test drive before a full re-check, re-torque of everything, but so far, quite amazing.

More pics and videos coming

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94