2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
RAM tied the TPMS into the traction control? Wow. Sorry. I had no freakin clue. The PVC tube works perfectly on all of Ford's stuff.

Yeah, it’s tied into the traction control AND the ABS. Supposedly this all started in 2019.

How new of a Ford have you been able to do this on?

Mushadd

I have no advice to offer on this one, but I will be trying this on my aluminum wheels. If I get the same result, you’ll at least know its not related to your steel ones. Unfortunately, It’ll be a few more months. My wheels are sitting in the garage, but my truck is in an idled plant in Mexico :(

Last edited:

jonathon

Yeah, it’s tied into the traction control AND the ABS. Supposedly this all started in 2019.

How new of a Ford have you been able to do this on?

If the TPMS and stability control are tied together it must only be for a flat as I regularly run my tires at 45 front and 40 rear which throws a light because the 2500 has the thresholds set stupid high.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
If the TPMS and stability control are tied together it must only be for a flat as I regularly run my tires at 45 front and 40 rear which throws a light because the 2500 has the thresholds set stupid high.

Yeah. The 4500/5500s system is different. It’s a TPIS system versus a TPMS.

“I” is for information versus Monitoring. It doesn’t give a warning light if I get a flat. It’s weird. You have to scroll to it

But What’s neat about them is that i can set my own thresholds via the dash.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well.... FINALLY got the TPIS system working as needed.

What a royal pain in the ********...

To save others the migraine.... The sensors that COME WITH THE TRUCK IN THE STOCK WHEELS are the ONLY ones that will work! Period!

I tried the clonable Autel MX, and a brand new set of OEM sensors from the dealer with the same part # as what's in there, and nothing...

As of 5-20-2020, the DEALERS don't even have the software to reprogram the 2020s yet (called another one to verify after local dealer told me and they said the same thing). Lifetime pro mechanic friend with the fancy pants Snap On gizmo didnt have it either. No Release date either.

The whole "Auto Relearn" thing mentioned in the manual and by the dealers is for rotation only, NOT introducing new sensors on the truck.

Long story, and many swaps later, the sensors that originally came with the truck are now in the Buckstop wheels with the MPT81 and working perfectly (100 mile test drive). Accurate within 2psi on 2 external gauges.

What a huge sigh of relief, hopefully this helps other building a new ram converting from DRW to SRW

TPMSFINALLYFIXED_FORUM.jpg

tmacc

Just got word from @Victorian that my panels are done! WOOHOO!

Still not sure on a delivery date window, but getting closer! Excited is an understatement!

Got to give more thanks to Andres, he's been amazingly helpful and responsive through the entire process1

For those wondering on the holes in the bottom panel, that is the roof, and those are the wire chases!

View attachment 588524
I wondered how they handled wires and water lines.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I wondered how they handled wires and water lines.

They are great because you can specify the runners anywhere you'd like in the ceiling, walls, etc...

I am just doing some minimal prewiring for some LED interior lights, external marker lights, and fans in the roof before installing it all together.

I'll be doing all my plumbing INSIDE the box, so 1, its all accessible to work on in case of a failure, but also to get it as warm as possible to prevent freezing.

I've seen some nifty builds with this stuff. One guy putting one on a unimog had a super long drill and hogged out a small section of the walls to run all his wires, and it came out super clean. Not the way i would do it, as it would mess with R value i am sure, but his method was nicely done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94