2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
TPMS bypass idea update...

Well.. I was able to get a tube 100% sealed, reset everything, fired up truck, test drive, everything worked as planned.

20 minutes into test drive, all the tire pressure #s went blank and the "Service Tire Pressure System" light came on again. Ugh

I was conveniently only a few miles from my local dealer when this happened, so i figured what the hell.

The "Commerical" side of my local dealer (Carl Burger in El Cajon CA) is completely separate from their main one and they have their own service area.

Before i even got out of my truck, several workers came outside to see what the hell this obscene project was and ask me questions... Thats a good start.. :)

LONNNNNNG story short, and several of them verified this. The method i used to try to trick the computer used to work for the 2018 and older models.

And of course, the 2019 newer sensors, dont just take air pressure into consideration, but also MOTION. Explains why it worked for a little bit, and then failed.

Sooooo... Saga continues! :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Have you considered installing two sensors in each wheel? I may have missed it if so. I know kinda strange...

I had considered it, and it was actually the suggestion of my local truck tire shop that mounted the tires.

I was hesitant to drill extra holes in the wheels, but its looking more and more like that will be my only option

180out

Considering I have owned multiple...plus, I don’t need a pamphlet to explain physics, but you’re free to believe what you want.

I will probably end up going with DBL Design fender flares. They’re still in production, but so far I think I like the look better than buckstop. Ideally for me, I’d rather have some widened fiberglass fenders, like McNeil Racing makes for the Super Duties, but not aware of anyone making them for HD Rams.

My “super singles” came with Balance Beads. Curious to see how these fair compared to the beads. Seems like similar principle, just slightly different manner of execution. Good to know if the beads don’t work out, I have another potential option.
i hated beads. wen old school with lead. never looked back.

180out

Would it actually be dangerous, or just massively uncomfortable? The goal, since I am not rich, is to get where I'm going in complete comfort. Running MTRs down the highway for 500 miles might be more uncomfortable than the last hour on a dirt road on stock tires before dismounting. Certainly more expensive for diesel and tire wear. Eventually I would like to get airbags in the rear, and proper shocks in the front, it just wouldn't really be an immediate priority. The goal is to get out there an enjoy things, while having a platform that can be customized as I determine my needs.

I understand it is not a good solution. The alternative is a 3500 CC. I then immediately reduce all of my capabilities and beefiness of the truck, all so I can run normal wheels and tires. I don't see how that benefits me. I go back and forth between 3500 and 4500. I know it comes down to preference. If there's a solution I'm missing I'm open to it. If what you're saying is hyperbole, then a 4500 will be much more comfortable than riding around in a 7 ton or an stake bed truck all day on the road.
i just kept the alcoas and the drw set up. i put big toyos on and lead weights. 75mph not an issue, weight (17K wet) not an issue, road noise, no issue. off road/wash board, i air down all six to 45-50. no bead issues yet. stock springs all the way around and lots of dirt road driving. i will say that I AM Never in a hurry. i am tall, wide, and heavy. got my whole house on back, and im out to enjoy the drive anyway. dont care if it looks ************** or not.

nater

Adventurer
Does it still give you an error if you change the system from TPMS to TPIS? I used this trick on my ram for a few weeks to get the terrible warning message to go away.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I have turned off TPMS system on our Superduty via ForScan in order to run a much lower pressure than required by OEM.

Is there no way to do this with the Ram? :unsure:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I have turned off TPMS system on our Superduty via ForScan in order to run a much lower pressure than required by OEM.

Is there no way to do this with the Ram? :unsure:

I definitely want it working. I am pretty OCD about tire pressure.

The one good thing about the 4500/5500 TPIS system is you can set the thresholds without any shenanigans, unlike the standard trucks.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I dont run without that data myself, I just dont use the OEM system as the range of adjust-ability just isnt large enough.

We use a very inexpensive valve cap system, that provides real time temp and pressure.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I dont run without that data myself, I just dont use the OEM system as the range of adjust-ability just isnt large enough.

We use a very inexpensive valve cap system, that provides real time temp and pressure.

From what my dealers service manager told me, and he’s been there forever and it makes sense, it’s that on the 2019+ Trucks the Tire Pressure somehow is tied into the traction control.

Makes sense. My rear end feels like a spool right now with the tire pressure system throwing codes.

Luckily, I’m a couple months away from actually needing to drive this thing and should be able to get it all dialed in by then

180out

same. love it.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
UPDATE: Kinda/Not Really (Saga) continues...

Sooo.... for poops and giggle i put the stock wheels back on... 2 fronts, and the 2 rear outers (no inners) for a total of only 4 wheels/tires on the truck (math is hard).

Reset error TPMS error code, started truck, WHAMMO, 4 sensors pop up reading accurate #s (verified with 2 different gauges).

Did a test drive around 110 miles or so, the pressures updated and fluctuated a little as expected, but everything worked perfectly for the entire drive, and no codes, it just showed blanks for the 2 inners, but the outer rears and the fronts gave me the data i wanted. Even aired them down to 50psi or so, and the sensors still read and worked perfectly.

This shows me the computer will function perfectly fine with only 4 wheels, so its not a computer/system issue

NOW... I got 4 OEM sensors from Ram (double/triple checked same part # as whats in the stock wheels). Had tire shop swap out the Autel sensors from the Buckstop wheels and replace them with the new OEM ones.

Once mounted, scanned all the sensors with my tool, all live, working, showing proper pressure on my scan tool.

Clear codes, start truck, random bogus numbers so up on dash (expected). Supposed to drive 15-20 miles for truck to relearn new sensors. Drove a total of 70 miles with several stops and resets.

Truck will NOT recognize the new OEM sensors. Spoke to local service/dealer 5500 guru at length. Seems to think the only reason this could be happening is the steel on the new wheels is too thick and is interfering with the RF signal.

Seems unlikely to me wheel thickness is causing this, but I'm also stumped at what else could be causing this.

Any ideas?

If the tire sensors werent tied into all the traction control and ABS stuff, i would just delete them and go with an aftermarket system and save the headache, but to make everything work in sync, i am trying my hardest to get this working.

Here is a pic of what it showed when i put the stock wheels back on, this worked fine for 100+ miles

DASHSINGLEWHEEL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94