2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn Build

ckayakr

Well it finally happened, I hit my one year mark with my truck. As it sits of writing this post its a bone stock 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn. I previously came from a 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR which I traded for this truck since I needed increased towing capacity and storage space. This wasn't really my first choice of Ram 1500 models, I would have preferred something like the Rebel but atlas I bought this due to it being a great price, and great financing. I also figured it would save me some money and allow me to mod how I saw fit for my needs.

The main goal of this truck is to be comfortable and capable while not screaming "LOOK AT MY BIG TRUCK", I have never been big on HUGE WHEELS, HUGE LIFT, HUGE TIRES! We also really wont be doing super hard trails, mostly muddy logging roads and public lands. The truck is still a daily driver and needs to tow our Airstream Basecamp X. In saying that the goal is for this truck to be tasteful and go places. This will be a slow build but I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

Currently the truck has:

Retrax Tonneau Cover
Yakima XL HD Roof Bars (Carrying Sea Kayaks)
Full Bedrug
Pedal Commander (this truck has TERRIBLE throttle response

On the list:

35 inch tires (BFG or General's)
17 inch wheels (likely Method 701's)
Readylift Leveling kit
2inch receiver spare tire carrier (deciding between Rigd and Detour of Maine)
Warn Evo 12 hidden winch (Vice Designs)
Maxx Traxx and Maxx Traxx Trailer Sled
Proeagle Jack 2 ton
ICS Dash Mount

If anyone sees anything or has suggest please help me, this is my first build, I didnt keep the Tacoma long enough to do anything to it. Heres some pictures of the rig to start including our AS Bascamp 16x.

Attachments

• Truck mud.jpg
    Truck mud.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • sugarloaf.jpg
    sugarloaf.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

MG99

Well it finally happened, I hit my one year mark with my truck. As it sits of writing this post its a bone stock 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn. I previously came from a 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR which I traded for this truck since I needed increased towing capacity and storage space. This wasn't really my first choice of Ram 1500 models, I would have preferred something like the Rebel but atlas I bought this due to it being a great price, and great financing. I also figured it would save me some money and allow me to mod how I saw fit for my needs.

The main goal of this truck is to be comfortable and capable while not screaming "LOOK AT MY BIG TRUCK", I have never been big on HUGE WHEELS, HUGE LIFT, HUGE TIRES! We also really wont be doing super hard trails, mostly muddy logging roads and public lands. The truck is still a daily driver and needs to tow our Airstream Basecamp X. In saying that the goal is for this truck to be tasteful and go places. This will be a slow build but I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

Currently the truck has:

Retrax Tonneau Cover
Yakima XL HD Roof Bars (Carrying Sea Kayaks)
Full Bedrug
Pedal Commander (this truck has TERRIBLE throttle response

On the list:

35 inch tires (BFG or General's)
17 inch wheels (likely Method 701's)
Readylift Leveling kit
2inch receiver spare tire carrier (deciding between Rigd and Detour of Maine)
Warn Evo 12 hidden winch (Vice Designs)
Maxx Traxx and Maxx Traxx Trailer Sled
Proeagle Jack 2 ton
ICS Dash Mount

If anyone sees anything or has suggest please help me, this is my first build, I didnt keep the Tacoma long enough to do anything to it. Heres some pictures of the rig to start including our AS Bascamp 16x.

Following...been waiting to see some 5th Gen Ram builds for inspiration. I’ve got a ‘19 Bighorn with some very minor mods, nothing significant enough for a “build thread” yet.

FYI you can’t go down to 17” wheels because the brake set up is too big and it won’t clear. 18” minimum for sure, with I believe 5” backspacing (?) but double check that. Good luck with the build.

Antwon412

You might have a hard time with 35s on only a 2 inch level.

I have a Rebel which is already an inch higher than stock, and with a level kit, and then an upgrade to Billstien 6100 shocks 35’s are pretty close fit.

Unless you have the off road package.

Not sure where you are, but I have a 2 inch spacer kit for the front, a 2 inch spacer kit for the rear and all the stock Rebel shocks and springs if you’re interested. Removed at about 3500 miles.
im in a Northern California.

MG99

I have a Rebel which is already an inch higher than stock, and with a level kit, and then an upgrade to Billstien 6100 shocks 35’s are pretty close fit.

Not sure where you are, but I have a 2 inch spacer kit for the front, a 2 inch spacer kit for the rear and all the stock Rebel shocks and springs if you’re interested. Removed at about 3500 miles.
Which springs did you go with? and did you change UCA’s? Not trying to derail the thread, but could be helpful info for @ckayakr and I.

ckayakr

See that's the info I need, I was actually doing some research last night and may just do 33's. I live close to Mainline Overland in NH so likely having them handle the level and wheel/tire. I am pretty handy but just am not setup to do the level on my own. Really glad to see fellow RAM owners on here. RAM's with the exception of HD's dont get a lot of overland love, but after my Tacoma, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Tundra.

ckayakr

35's fit fine on 4th gen Ram 1500's with a level, except they won't quite fit the spare tire spot. I haven't had hands on a 5th gen.

I stuck with 285/70R17 (33") on my '15 Ram because they accomplish everything I need them to accomplish and don't come with those various burdens which individually don't seem significant until they add up.

I am planning to do a Rigd or similar spare tire carrier to carry a full size wheel/tire. WE mostly travel alone and being stuck without a full size and carrying a loaded trailer would S-U-C-K!

ckayakr

Following...been waiting to see some 5th Gen Ram builds for inspiration. I’ve got a ‘19 Bighorn with some very minor mods, nothing significant enough for a “build thread” yet.

FYI you can’t go down to 17” wheels because the brake set up is too big and it won’t clear. 18” minimum for sure, with I believe 5” backspacing (?) but double check that. Good luck with the build.

Thanks for that, another one of my "I am new to this moments" likely going with a 18 after some research. Thanks for the support, when I posted this yesterday I was like, "Yeah no one is going to really care about this build, its not a jeep or toyota." Glad to see I was wrong!

ckayakr

What makes you say that?

Good lord where do I start, the Tundra itself has a super outdated interior with highly uncomfortable seats. Newer Tundras/Toyotas seem to have a lot of gremlins in the wiring. Tundra's ride seemed extremely rough on the test drive and the dealer's I worked with including the one I bought my Tacoma from were under the impression you can do better then a Toyota so no wiggle room. Of course Toyota has a huge following and the aftermarket segment is huge compared to the measly Ram selection. Don't get me wrong, for a lot of people Toyota is a great platform but with that they are more expensive then most other truck brands and I just don't see it being worth it. Toyota use to be the MOST reliable truck brand but its just not there anymore. One of my biggest driver was this:

Toyota Tundra, Limited base $45,990 3.99% financing with 60k service plan = about $625/month
Ram 1500, Big Horn Base $37,995 0% financing with 80k service plan about $495/ month

Both the above are equipped similar with similar reliability. I plan on keeping my truck to over 200000 miles, so another factor was repair costs, although Toyotas are reliable if you need a part they are not cheap. A friend of mine with a 2019 Tundra, 65k miles and in the 1794 trim needed brakes, new battery, new power steering pump, new tie rods and new head gasket, enter a $18k repair bill. On my tacoma when I hit 60k I saw the reliability go straight out the window almost like a switch was flipped. Time will tell with the RAM but so far so good. Who knows, maybe ill eat my words in a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online