2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Paul, thanks for sharing some pics. Really love the terrain/parks in the pacific northwest area. On our trip to Orcas Island, we routed through, and spent one night in, the North Cascades and want to plan a trip back when we can spend more time there. Might combine with Olympic National Park.

Shawn M

I would go HD all the way. Granted I'm in a diesel F350, but I'm getting ~16mpg (overall mileage) and my truck doesn't know the Camp-X is there. I never worry about weight and my shocks, brakes, etc. will last longer than if I was pushing the weight envelope in a 1/2 ton. I have plans to drive the Pan Am, so my next truck will be a gasser to avoid high sulfur diesel in Central and S. America. Probably get the F250 Tremor with a 7.3 liter push rod engine. I'm guessing ~12mpg with the Camp-X in the bed??

MatthewHamon

I'm a total noob here and anticipating picking up our Camp-X in a week. This will be down sizing from our hard sided camper with wet-bath and closet. My spouse is concerned about storage. So.... I'm thinking about a DIY overhead storage rig similar to some Palaminos and the Scouts. Do any of you know about issues related to anchoring to the Camp-X ceiling? I was thinking of putting some L-track up there with hanging rigid bags that sit on the counter when the top is down. I'm also aware of the under-bed and under dinette solution that (OEV) offers, but very little info online about ordering/price. Thanks so much for any input on this!

MatthewHamon

Excited to be picking up this 2022 Camp-X next week from BigSky (Now Bish's). Just noticed in the dealer pic that it has 4 gas struts per side rather than the typical 2. Anybody know what that's about?... greater lifting strength? torsion support? or maybe supply chain issues required 4 lower capacity struts over 2 higher capacity struts?

Attachments

• unit_photo_202208051130328579910848.jpg
    unit_photo_202208051130328579910848.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 51

thegoldrun

Just noticed in the dealer pic that it has 4 gas struts per side rather than the typical 2. Anybody know what that's about?

My 2021 has 4 but in a different orientation; front two facing rear, rear two facing front. Lifting the Camp-X roof with only the solar panel and two fans is not the easiest task and four struts helps.

FlyGoat

Has anyone else had issues with the windows on their Camp X leaking? During a recent storm, water was soaking through the bottom of the windows at an alarming rate... wondering if there is anything that can be done? The windows were completely closed, plastic was completely closed..

MatthewHamon

Has anyone else had issues with the windows on their Camp X leaking? During a recent storm, water was soaking through the bottom of the windows at an alarming rate... wondering if there is anything that can be done? The windows were completely closed, plastic was completely closed..
Yikes. That's concerning. Just picked my 2022 Camp-X up yesterday. No rain yet. I'll keep an eye on it. I assume you are talking about the soft-wall windows, not the Dometic window in the dinette...?

MatthewHamon

I bought my Camp-X site unseen. Walked through a couple of Palomino campers while waiting for the install yesterday. Wow, the build quality of the Palaminos is pathetic compared to the OEV. So glad we chose the Camp-X. Just getting oriented to it. One potential issue... The "Molle" panel doesn't seem to be speced to true Molle/pals dimensions 1.25 x 1 inch holes (38mm x 28mm). Something to be aware of if you have any accessories that are engineered for true Molle/Pals spec. I have some Builtright Molle Nuts that won't work in the OEV's cutouts. :(

Attachments

• IMG_8154.JPG
    IMG_8154.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8155.JPG
    IMG_8155.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Crux

I’ve had a Camp-X for 2 years, in lots of rain, and zero leaks from the windows.

Chadx

I’ve had a Camp-X for 2 years, in lots of rain, and zero leaks from the windows.

Same with our 2020 CAMP-X that we've used for 3 summers. Many thunderstorms and hailstorms with no leaks, "soak throughs" or weeping. I’ll note, however, the current design of soft top windows is different than our 2020.

@FlyGoat My guess is this is more related to a one-off defect than design issue. What has the dealership or OEV had to say about it?

sg1

Adventurer
My 2018 CampX ( serial no. 1)has no issues with leaking windows. It is installed year round.

HowardH

Adventurer
If the windows are like what’s on the Summit they are a clamshell design. An inner and outer half. Make sure the screws that clamp the wall between the two half’s are tight. If not or they work loose you’ll get some leaking.

FlyGoat

yes, it was the "soft" window. The water seemed to be coming through the seam at the bottom of the window? So much water that I had to soak it up multiple times with towels. If I had not been in the camper at the time it could have been a big mess. The window was totally closed, I made sure! OEV suggested that I reach out to my local dealer.. which I have not had time to do as of yet.. been camping quite a bit:) But I will ASAP and see if something can be done about it. Otherwise camper is great

Chadx

Will be good to have dealer evaluate. For clarification, was it only one of the soft top windows or all of them? Once an evaluation, cause and remedy is determined, please post an update. Will be interesting to here. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne