2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

sn_85

Observer
Yes, CAMP-FX will is basically a "flatbed X" model. Same layout as a CAMP-X (rear door, drivers-side galley, passenger side dinette) but since a flatbed format, there will be much more room for storage since the lower sides of the camper are not notched inward to fit in a pickup bed. There are a couple other nice surprises in the package as well they are still finalizing. Arnold said they will have the specs and pics up on their website in mid-April, well ahead of EXPO West which is where they will be featuring a CAMP-FX. And he said, as the build progresses, they will share info on IG. I'm anxious for the design to mature and the first specs/pics to be released and then I will start a new thread on it. Should be a fun one to see.

I'd love to see a flatbed option for mid-size trucks from OEV and I wish they'd come out with a CAMP-FM. Their Camp-M looks a wee bit cramped inside even for just two people.

MisterSmith

Rear end complete.... the Starlink dish comes off the telescoping mount very easily, I won't be leaving it up when we're moving.

20220313_174446.jpg

Waxed every nook and cranny of the truck and CAMP-X this weekend, time to go get it dirty in Baja at the end of this week.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Nice work and thanks for sharing the details of everything you did. Rig looks great.

I just swapped from my winter C-load rated Blizzaks to my E-load rated Coopers. Starting a bit of camper prep, though I won't load it for about 2 more weeks since I have some medium-length pickup trips to do next week. This season's first trip, for us, is in April (UT for 8 days). Once back in MT, we'll have to decide if we pull the camper off since it will be another 4+ weeks before we can start using it on the weekends. But, excited for the season to start for us!

Shawn M

Can anyone recommend the best replacement struts for my 2020 Camp-X? I think winter camping has taken a toll on mine. The most pounds of lift available would be nice.

Ninelitetrip

Rear end complete.... the Starlink dish comes off the telescoping mount very easily, I won't be leaving it up when we're moving.

20220313_174446.jpg

Waxed every nook and cranny of the truck and CAMP-X this weekend, time to go get it dirty in Baja at the end of this week.

Some nice work and additions. Will you remove the Weboost when on the move? It appears to be only secured with the RAM mount? Can you describe the telescoping pole and mount for the Starlink, which congrats on getting. Interested to hear how it works in Baja.

MisterSmith

Some nice work and additions. Will you remove the Weboost when on the move? It appears to be only secured with the RAM mount? Can you describe the telescoping pole and mount for the Starlink, which congrats on getting. Interested to hear how it works in Baja.
The weBoost stays attached at all times, the RAM mount is very rugged and specifically designed for this application. I usually put a strap around the molle panel rack and weBoost antenna for safety while traveling. I don't see much need for the Starlink or weBoost when we're driving. We need them for remote working once we arrive at our destinations. I know some people run the weBoost as a stubby antenna, but they don't do much unless they're up high...even then, it's a questionable amount of boost. The telescoping pole for the Starlink was made by ordering a black telescoping flagpole from Amazon. It comes with 5 twist lock sections that I disassembled. I then cut the two sections I needed to about 4 feet in length each and reassembled. You twist the top section, extend it, then twist to lock it. Starlink makes an adapter for all pipe sizes, it works, but it's kind of ugly because they made it to fit huge diameters of pipe. I used these brackets to mount it to the molle panel.

20220314_122808.jpg

20220314_151505.jpg

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
The weBoost stays attached at all times, the RAM mount is very rugged and specifically designed for this application. I usually put a strap around the molle panel rack and weBoost antenna for safety while traveling. I don't see much need for the Starlink or weBoost when we're driving. We need them for remote working once we arrive at our destinations. I know some people run the weBoost as a stubby antenna, but they don't do much unless they're up high...even then, it's a questionable amount of boost. The telescoping pole for the Starlink was made by ordering a black telescoping flagpole from Amazon. It comes with 5 twist lock sections that I disassembled. I then cut the two sections I needed to about 4 feet in length each and reassembled. You twist the top section, extend it, then twist to lock it. Starlink makes an adapter for all pipe sizes, it works, but it's kind of ugly because they made it to fit huge diameters of pipe. I used these brackets to mount it to the molle panel.

20220314_122808.jpg

20220314_151505.jpg
MisterSmith -- I noticed the driver's side Molle panel was not installed from your earlier pictures. Did you install that later yourself or did Big Sky? Also, if that is a camera just above the rear door? Is it a backup camera from your tailgate connection or a so-called trailer camera that's viewable from a digital rear-view mirror?

Looking forward to more pictures from your Baja trip. Hope all is well. Thanks.

MisterSmith

MisterSmith -- I noticed the driver's side Molle panel was not installed from your earlier pictures. Did you install that later yourself or did Big Sky? Also, if that is a camera just above the rear door? Is it a backup camera from your tailgate connection or a so-called trailer camera that's viewable from a digital rear-view mirror?

Looking forward to more pictures from your Baja trip. Hope all is well. Thanks.

I think most of the 2022 models Big Sky ordered come from the factory with a single Molle panel. We have a new CAMP-X dealer in Reno, NV (Zero Declination), they ordered the left side panel for me and installed it, along with their outdoor shower/drop tent, and the upgraded suspension components I needed. The camera is from camerasource.com. It's a relocation kit for the OEM 360º view camera that works with the F-150's built in display screen. It comes on in reverse, I think there might be a way to "hack" the camera system to allow it to be on when driving down the road. I'll be investigating that in the coming months.

We're back home after a fantastic trip... 2240 miles, the CAMP-X exceeded our expectations.

20220323_172652.jpg

ITTOG

I think most of the 2022 models Big Sky ordered come from the factory with a single Molle panel. We have a new CAMP-X dealer in Reno, NV (Zero Declination), they ordered the left side panel for me and installed it, along with their outdoor shower/drop tent, and the upgraded suspension components I needed. The camera is from camerasource.com. It's a relocation kit for the OEM 360º view camera that works with the F-150's built in display screen. It comes on in reverse, I think there might be a way to "hack" the camera system to allow it to be on when driving down the road. I'll be investigating that in the coming months.

We're back home after a fantastic trip... 2240 miles, the CAMP-X exceeded our expectations.

20220323_172652.jpg
I have always wondered about shower systems right by the vehicle. Does the ground absorb the water so fast it isn't an issue?

MisterSmith

I have always wondered about shower systems right by the vehicle. Does the ground absorb the water so fast it isn't an issue?

It works fine for us, but we tend to camp in very dry places. I think you'll find a whole lot of debate on outdoor showering and gray water disposal. Personally, we only use a tiny bit of water and biodegradable soap to minimize our environmental impact. On this particular trip to Baja, we found several gas stations with fantastic showers for only $1.25 each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles