2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Wait, I though the Camp X was new in 2019?
Sg1 owns a prototype (but I was thinking it was 2018 he got it).

Edit: Found his thread which confirms his CAMP-X install was June 2018.

Last edited:

Chadx

1.5hrs and my favorite mod to date
- Window Image-

Crystalclear,
More info on that window and install please! I think many pickup camper and trailer camper owners would be interested, so perhaps a new thread so owners of all brands can discuss. Looking forward to more details (and pics from inside).

Last edited:

Chadx

It’s funny the comments on storage, typically a Popup has tons of storage due to the entire under bunk area being used. I wonder why these don’t?

I'm only aware of one lightweight, offroad pickup camper that has underbed storage and that is the FWC flatbed (though there may be a few of the small startups that are doing it in some models, too). None of the FWC slide-in campers have it; only the flatbed models. You typically only see underbed storage on the much heavier and more "travel" oriented slide-ins. Like all things, it's a trade-off. I don't know if Overland Explorer has explored that feature, but it would add a fair bit of height to the closed (and open) camper. For every inch of underbed storage, it would increase the height of the cabover by that much plus the thickness of the new floor. So I'm guessing a 5" deep storage would be about 6" more height in the cabover (and sidewall). That would add a fair bit of weight (6" more sidewall all the way around) and push up the center of gravity even higher since the roof would be 6" higher than now. It would also make the overall closed height and cabover 6" taller so less aerodynamic and harder to get under branches on forest service roads and urban obstacles. The closed cabover height is about 18" currently (not counting vents, roof rack, etc.) and I can't image having another 6" of height when closed for a total of 24". Would look and act like a hardside going down the road or trail. So all about trade-offs.

While many owners would welcome more storage, such as underbed storage, they would not be willing to trade the increased weight, height and center of gravity for it as you are now getting away from the primary mission of small, light slide-in pickup campers. I fall into that group. That extra height starts getting into the cons of a hard sided camper yet it's still in a softside pop-up so none of the pros (except the storage). If those buyers that would still want the underbed storage, even with the added weight and height, aren't the vast majority, it may never come since, if it was optional, it would require OEV to have two different templates and stock not only different rear, front and both side panels, but also different aluminum extrusions. And perhaps even a shorter popup canvas (unless they would reuse the current and then inside open height, or better or worse, would be super tall). Such features, options, height and weight may be features/options of the next class up which is the upcoming OEV BASE-CAMP.

I, personally, love the idea of underbed storage, but am absolutely not willing to add height and weight to get it so it's a 'no go' from that perspective. I have the CAMP-X pop-up for the low profile and relatively low weight and if it was 6" taller and heavier, I likely wouldn't have considered it. Just my opinion, though, and we all have a different use case and so different needs and wants. And, as the OEV operation increases, they may have the size and capacity to have optional structures to facilitate such options.

sg1

Adventurer
Sg1 owns a prototype (but I was thinking it was 2018 he got it).
You are absolutely right. Sorry for the typo.

Edit: Found his thread which confirms his CAMP-X install was June 2018.

crystalclear

Observer
actually not much to it, it is the Tern Overland 300mmx700mm window which has the same features as the factory large dometic seitz window

1) measure 5 times
2) drill out corners and connect the dots via jigsaw
3) put it in

had zero hesitation or fear given the composite structure - made the hole slightly smaller and then shaved off until i basically had to jam the framing in

fits PERFECTLY above the main kitchen counter and can finally see out the driver side!

you dont even need to seal the exterior as its a compression fitting design (but i couldnt resist so put a bead around the exterior perimeter anyways)

will get some interior pics eventually

Crystalclear,
More info on that window and install please! I think many pickup camper and trailer camper owners would be interested, so perhaps a new thread so owners of all brands can discuss. Looking forward to more details (and pics from inside).

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
I'm picking up my Camp-X next week and I am still debating whether or not to keep the tailgate on. I have a short bed Tundra crewmax and I know the camper will stick out the back at least a foot. Does anyone recommend keeping the tailgate on? Big Sky Rv sales said they would prefer the tailgate off when doing the install.

Chadx

Off is my recommendation for several reasons. Some tailgates don't lay flat and so may be slightly tilted up and so would take a lot of the weight. And the tailgate makes it complicated to step out, in my opinion, because when stepping out the rear camper door to the same level, much more bending is needed and more likely to hit your head. Much easier to step out of the camper when stepping down to your ladder/stepstool rather than out onto something the same level as the camper floor. Removing it also saves 55 - 65lbs. Tailgate on and lowered also makes it hard to access the port to lower the spare tire. The main camper weight will still be on the front and side extrusion so plenty of support. Even in my 6.5" tundra box, the rear extrusion is not supported, so no issues there. So with all that, I don't know of any reason to keep the tailgate on except some like having it as a porch (but, as noted, it make stooping in and out a bit harder). I'm curious to hear from others that prefer to keep it on or have tried both ways and what they prefer and to also give more opinions to Paul.

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

Interesting interview and updates. Now completely focused on OEV and the CAMP series production and apparent exit from their origins at Lite Industries. 2022 pricing coming this month. Planned releases for 2022 and 2023.

stevo_pct

I'm only aware of one lightweight, offroad pickup camper that has underbed storage and that is the FWC flatbed (though there may be a few of the small startups that are doing it in some models, too). None of the FWC slide-in campers have it; only the flatbed models. You typically only see underbed storage on the much heavier and more "travel" oriented slide-ins.

For what it's worth, Hallmark Campers and Phoenix Campers both have under bed storage on gas struts. I'm in Colorado area and both of those builders are local so I have been able to see them in person. It seems like they are similar weight as the Camp - X (at least that's what they quote), but who know if that's true. Hallmark campers (I'm looking at the Milner 6.5 - similar size as the camp X) is probably a little more expensive than Camp X (and maybe a little heavier) and Phoenix Campers is a little cheaper, although not much (maybe $5-8K), although Phoenix campers are aluminum frame so they may have issues with thermal bridging and condensation that Hallmark and the camp-x do not have.

Chadx

Interesting interview and updates.

Great find and read. It was a good interview and fun opportunity for Mark and Arnold to dive into a bit more detail and background that isn't commonly shared in their shorter "youtube" and expo interviews.
It's a shame Truck Camper Magazine incorrectly uses "Mike" in the opening paragraphs when they are referring to Mark Cymbaluk. Attention to detail is always needed, but particularly with peoples names. Ha. They do change over to "Mark" later on in the article, so someone realized the mistake but didn't go back and fix the first few instances.

crystalclear

Observer
i personally think underbed storage, unless you are full-timing, is overrated

the sheer avail vertical space that is avail when the campx is closed is awesome. so easy to toss clothes bags/anything on the bed when in travel mode

and when in use - there is ample counter (stove/sink area + above fridge) to put any bags and containers

given it is a 2/3 person camper, if you are running out of room in a campx, i believe its just not the right camper for you

ripperj

Explorer
I guess what works for one is not ideal for another.

I had three popups with under bed storage, I really liked it, especially for stuff that you don’t want/need every time you camp. A couple blankets, rain gear, towels. 10x10 tarp to use as a canopy.

Easy to gain weight though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles