2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
Load E tires and airbags will get you mostly there. Late model TRD Pro have the same max payload capacity as my 2013 Tundra 4.6. The primary difference is mine is a DC with 6.5' bed and your Pro is a Crew Cab, so your payload will be sitting 1' further back on the chassis. It's not ideal, but if you drive conservatively, it will get you by. There are others that have CAMP-X in crew cab fullsize pickups. All Fullsize pickups need to be driven with care/caution when loaded right up to max payload. We just got back (literally 30 minutes ago) from another 24 hour overlanding trip through the mountains. Nothing too crazy but to give some point of reference, on most of our trips while on the forest service roads, we probably spend 1 out of every 5 hours in low range 4x4. I'm still impressed with how easily the Tundra handles the load, though in all honesty, I would be even more comfortable if our rig was an HD. I like having a cushion in payload for unexpected situations when out on the highways which are the main times that I feel an HD would perform better (curves/lean and emergency braking). That being said, driving smart goes a long ways.

No one seems to know exactly when the new Tundra will hit the ground and be available. Anxious to see those details myself. Fingers crossed for a "heavy half ton" option on the Tundra. Us pickup camper users don't need huge, gas guzzling HD engines and towing power (I'm super happy with out "little" 4.6 liter V8); We just need payload capacity and appropriate braking capacity to support that payload; don't need braking capacity to slow down 14,000lb of trailer. Ha. I'll be looking for a new truck next year and trying to decide between a fullsize and HD (and will consider all the options like re-working/re-springing suspension on a fullsize). The big consideration for us will be if, sometime during the lifetime of the next pickup, we change from a CAMP-X to a CAMP-HBE which, in my opinion, would sway us over to an HD unless a very capable fullsize package comes along since I don't see any now.

Thank you chadx. As always, an informative and thoughtful response. I really think I'm sometimes overthinking this Tundra payload issue, but plan to be conservative on the road nonetheless.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
This link is to a video of my friend’s truck; Raven on a TRD Tundra...

Nice rig.

PaulP,
Keep in mind the FWC Raven is very short and made specifically for 5.5' bed rather than 6.5' bed like the FWC Hawk and the OEV CAMP-X. The Raven may give you a ballpark, but if you want to see how a 6.5' camper fits and rides in a short bed, seek out examples of those later two on a crewvab Tundra.

Last edited:

anthonym

For those with the molle panels, what do you use to mount stuff? In particular, seems like it would be great to mount the step ladder back there rather than put it in and out of the truck or camper all the time (particularly when wet or muddy).

Also, a long-overdue update on my roof situation: OEV shipped down a full new roof and BVO installed it. It's been through several rain storms now with no sign of any moisture inside. OEV shipped my old roof back to the factory, took it apart, and confirmed that the cause was a bad batch of construction adhesive. Apparently the damage was limited to only a few campers and they're working with all the owners already. They've since updated both the fabrication process and roof design to avoid any similar problems in the future. In particular, my new roof has these beautiful metal corner caps so there's no way for the top panel to separate from the sides. Very happy with the resolution here.

Chadx

Great to hear.
And, I appreciate you posting an update. Too often, in forums, we never get to hear the outcome (good or bad) and are left wondering.

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
For those of you who have airbags installed, where on your truck did you place your inflation valves (where you add or let out air pressure)? I'm getting Firestone airbags for my Tundra and was wondering where the best place to attach the hose-end valves. I've seen some people run the hoses to their back bumper near the license plate, and others place valves inside the filler gate next to the gas cap.

Chadx

I did my firestone valves on my Tundra one on each side license plate. The gas flap location seemed slick when I first considered it, but ultimately it would have been much too awkward to both check the air pressure and add air.

When mounting on both sides of the license plate, one tip I'll offer for consideration is thinking through those times when you are using the bumper step to get in and out of camper (no ladder) and considering where your foot might land/brush when blindly backing out of the camper door. That way, you are locating the valves/caps in a spot where you are less likely to accidently step on and damage them. Awareness helps, but other users might not be aware or as careful, so at least worth taking it into consideration before drilling and mounting.

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
I did my firestone valves on my Tundra one on each side license plate. The gas flap location seemed slick when I first considered it, but ultimately it would have been much too awkward to both check the air pressure and add air.

When mounting on both sides of the license plate, one tip I'll offer for consideration is thinking through those times when you are using the bumper step to get in and out of camper (no ladder) and considering where your foot might land/brush when blindly backing out of the camper door. That way, you are locating the valves/caps in a spot where you are less likely to accidently step on and damage them. Awareness helps, but other users might not be aware or as careful, so at least worth taking it into consideration before drilling and mounting.
Thanks for the response. I am now thinking of placing the valves just underneath the trailer plug-ins next to the license plate. It might be better protected there per your advice.

mightymuddy

Nice write up, there are many things I really like about the Camp X, the quality construction and the use of high end components. I have been looking for a replacement for my FWC Hawk and seriously considered the Camp X but when I started thinking about where I would put the stuff I have in my Hawk in the Camp X, there is a serious lack of storage in the Camp X. I have spent at least 60 days camping in my Hawk this year and probably camp approx 90 plus nights in a camper per year, conservatively so storage space is a premium. From what I can see the Camp X has 3 compartments for storage, just open areas without shelves and zero drawers. My Hawk has 3 drawers for silver wear, cooking utensil etc. and 3 open cupboards AND huge areas under the roll over couch.
Additionally the Camp X doesn't have an outside storage compartment which comes in handy for your grey water tank, grey water container etc.
IMO the Camper X has a serious lack of storage which is a critical factor when you're spending weeks at a time camping.
We just got back from picking up our Camp X from BVO(awesome outfit) in Boulder. We have 5 nights of camping in it so far. Storage is an issue, but I expected that. I was happy to see accessible storage areas on each side of the Camp X for items we only need once in a while. There is no wasted space with the Camp X and I like the compact size of the shell. Very well built. There are plenty of nooks and crannys to tuck stuff away for deep storage. Now, you have waaaayyy more time in the field than I do so you know what you need. Impressive experience level!!

sg1

Adventurer
Storage is a problem in small pop ups. I own the very first prototype CampX and had a lot of input in the design of this unit. I often travel for 6 to 8 weeks to remote locations (Yukon, NWT) and therefore tried to get as much storage as possible. Here are the main differences to the new CampX :
L shaped seating, no dinnet. The sidebench is narrow enough and I could add bags for storage on the lower sidewall. In the future I will make the sidebench wider for more comfortable seating and get more storage under the seat.
The sidebench isn't full length. There is a full hight storage compartment at the rear of the cabin where the dinnet seat is located in the new version.
I don't have a build in fridge, only a compressor chest style fridge on the front bench.
The front bench is wider, more storage underneath.
I put a lot of boxes and baskets on the kitchen counter along the walls.
As outside storage I use the propane box which has a lot of unused space.
I asked Mark to add a small Grey water tank on the left side over the wheel wells.
Due to popular demand of customers who usually only use the camper for shorter trips Mark changed the floorplan to a dinnet solution which is more comfortable but wastes a lot of storage.
To now modify the floor plan to a more efficient l shaped wide bench should be an easy project.

I think ours was about #3 off the construction line. We definitely wish we had more storage, even with just two of us. Duffle bag shuffle is definitely what you have to do with clothes.

I removed the table ours came with as it just took up way too much space. I think newer models have a smaller table stop, but we don't miss it.

stevo_pct

I’m really interested in the Camp-X. Does anyone have any experience with these in a 5.5’ bed full size truck? I have a 2019 F150 crew cab with the 5.5’ bed. Payload should be fine because I have the 7000# GVWR option. I’ll install airbags and E rated tires. But I’m wondering if the center of gravity will be too far back with respect to the rear axle. Or maybe there is some other issue with the camper extending past the end of the bed that I’m not aware of.

I just bought this truck back in October so I really don’t want to have to upgrade - even though I know that would be more ideal.

We are planning to use this set up for a multi month trip through BC and Alaska.

sg1

Adventurer
I’m really interested in the Camp-X. Does anyone have any experience with these in a 5.5’ bed full size truck? I have a 2019 F150 crew cab with the 5.5’ bed. Payload should be fine because I have the 7000# GVWR option. I’ll install airbags and E rated tires. But I’m wondering if the center of gravity will be too far back with respect to the rear axle. Or maybe there is some other issue with the camper extending past the end of the bed that I’m not aware of.

I just bought this truck back in October so I really don’t want to have to upgrade - even though I know that would be more ideal.

We are planning to use this set up for a multi month trip through BC and Alaska.
I have a F 150 cc shortbed 7000# and a Camp X since 2016. The unit has been almost permanently on the truck. E rated tires and Timbrens. We did multiple long trips to Yukon and the NWT including Dempster. No issues whatsoever. Fully equipped for a long remote trip I am a little over GVWR but it handles fine.

ripperj

Explorer
It’s funny the comments on storage, typically a Popup has tons of storage due to the entire under bunk area being used. I wonder why these don’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stevo_pct

I have a F 150 cc shortbed 7000# and a Camp X since 2016. The unit has been almost permanently on the truck. E rated tires and Timbrens. We did multiple long trips to Yukon and the NWT including Dempster. No issues whatsoever. Fully equipped for a long remote trip I am a little over GVWR but it handles fine.

Wait, I though the Camp X was new in 2019?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles