2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

pkita99

Hey, just wanted to get everyones input on awnings for the camp-x and get an idea what everyone is using. Lots of options out there so just curious to se what works best for this camper.

Thanks

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Some people love awnings; some not. I'm in the 'not' camp and I elaborate on my thought process earlier in this thread and here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-in-pickup-camper.214329/page-19#post-2909002 . I prefer a $10, 1 lb white tarp for the rare occasion we need shade. This is but one persons opinion for our scenarios so combine that with the other input you'll receive in this thread and elsewhere and your own use case to determine what works for you.

Last edited:

MattinPdx

Is anyone running a cell signal booster (e.g., weBoost) in their CampX. Curious about install method, performance (inside CampX and in truck cab) power draw etc. Thanks in advance.

crystalclear

Observer
Hey, just wanted to get everyones input on awnings for the camp-x and get an idea what everyone is using. Lots of options out there so just curious to se what works best for this camper.

Thanks

i decided to go with dragonfly tarps - put a awning rope channel on all 3 sides of the camper, and can have shade or be dry from rain on whichever side necessary

goes up and down in a few minutes, highly recommended

Shawn M

Does anyone's Camp-X sit lower compared to the truck bed rail closer to the cab than compared to the truck bed rail near the tailgate? When I measure from the bottom of the camper to the truck bed rail it's 3/4" less clearance close to the cab compared to the same clearance between the truck bed rail and bottom of camper at the tailgate. It's pretty easy to see it without measuring and looks odd. I'm on a 2020 F350. I had to place (3) 3/4" horse mats in the truck bed so the camper would clear the cab. My truck is pretty bid and the Camp-X was probably fitted for a 1/2 ton truck. Thinking about placing another horse mat in the front half of the bed and try to level this thing out. It seems to work ok with the slant, but it looks a little odd.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Did you measure your pickup bed rails from the floor of the bed to the top of the rails at the front, middle and rear of your box? Curious if that year F350 has different rail height from front to back. Also, how does the cabover angle look compared to the cab and rest of the pickup? One side effect of angling the camper may be making the cabover/roofline angled compared to the rest of the truck. If the cabover looks angled too, then perhaps it is sitting uneven on the brackets or horse mats/runners. I used cut lengths of horsemat on mine. Didn't use the whole mat, as the installer did, because the whole mat weighed about 90 lbs if I recall correctly for the 50" width. I cut just the strip width I needed (about 5" wide and 6.5' long) to support the extrusion. OEV confirmed that the support needs to be around the footprint perimeter (extrusion) and doesn't need to be in the middle of the floor (and, importantly, should not be higher in the middle of the floor than what is supporting the perimeter extrusion).

BeaverMan

I am looking for the battery box size in the 2021 Camp-X. We have one on order and looking to put the max amount of batteries that will fix. We live in the Pacific Northwest and many camp spots have little to no sun. Thanks

pk22

Can anyone tell me what the angle of the roof would be with just one side propped up? I’m wondering if it would be a steep enough angle to sufficiently charge with the roof top panel in the low angle sun of winter? I have ordered a Camp X with one rooftop panel and I know I may need a portable panel for winter but the roof at an angle just came to mind. I’ve also seen brackets that allow the roof top panel to lift at varying angles yet OEV has said they are not making those yet but maybe next year.

Last edited:
Does anyone's Camp-X sit lower compared to the truck bed rail closer to the cab than compared to the truck bed rail near the tailgate? When I measure from the bottom of the camper to the truck bed rail it's 3/4" less clearance close to the cab compared to the same clearance between the truck bed rail and bottom of camper at the tailgate. It's pretty easy to see it without measuring and looks odd. I'm on a 2020 F350. I had to place (3) 3/4" horse mats in the truck bed so the camper would clear the cab. My truck is pretty bid and the Camp-X was probably fitted for a 1/2 ton truck. Thinking about placing another horse mat in the front half of the bed and try to level this thing out. It seems to work ok with the slant, but it looks a little odd.
I think mine has a slight slant but I can't remember which end appears higher. It might be that the front is propped up slightly from the front mounting plate/bracket/thingy.

Nothing that's bothered me enough to measure it.

Skymannnn

Check out skymannnn on Instagram too - he did a bunch of really cold winter camping and snowmobiling this last winter.
This coming winter I plan to get in some longer trips and to continue to test the Winter capabilities. It’s awesome to hear the snow falling on the roof and to wake up to deep powder in the Camp-X. Snow Broom is key ;)

Skymannnn

Thanks to Chadx and all of your write ups on here, going to likely pull the trigger this week and custom order one from OEV and pick it up late in the summer ?
We are going to be living in it full time as we travel about so will post a bit on here if we buy it. thx again crew!
I have always brought my second tank but mainly because I picked up my Camp-X in October 2020 and when I was out in Nov-Feb I really wanted to have the backup bottle. One time I had to change it after 3 nights when it was quite cold (-16F) and I was happy to have the second bottle. As Chadx said well you really don’t need the second bottle with you (if you have one with 2 bottles) if you want to save some weight. You guys with the new model have the big 20lb Bottle which is nice. I would even bring a second 20lb in my trailer in the winter for extreme cold and backup.

Skymannnn

Is anyone running a cell signal booster (e.g., weBoost) in their CampX. Curious about install method, performance (inside CampX and in truck cab) power draw etc. Thanks in advance.
I have the Weboost Drive Reach RV 12V Model and Boulder Vehicle Outfitters installed it for me, they did a great job! Performance is impressive in most locations. I will have to check power draw.

MattinPdx

Thanks good to know that you are happy with the Weboost performance. Where did the shop fish the antenna wire into the CampX? Do you run it when you are traveling? If so do, does it improve reception in the truck cab?

Skymannnn

Thanks good to know that you are happy with the Weboost performance. Where did the shop fish the antenna wire into the CampX? Do you run it when you are traveling? If so do, does it improve reception in the truck cab?
Through the same hole as the Solar that was drilled at the factory. Mine is setup with a flip up mount from Boulder Vehicle Outfitters and rigged to be used while in the Camp-X. You need to be near the wired antenna for it to work well. Eventually will add a separate Booster to the truck for driving that’s a fixed mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles