2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

tacollie

Glamper
I live in Colorado and bought my CampX at Bish’s when it was Big Sky RV. I did not pay title or registration fees unless it was bundled in price. It is not listed on my sales contract. But they did provide a Montana title which I did nothing with.
There's $4600 included in my bill they are sending for title and registration through OPUS VTR. They told me if I don't pay it they won't sell me the camper.

Ninelitetrip

Sounds like new ownership is trying to add profit any way they can. Call it dealer prep, dealer fee, title prep, registration, if it is not the result of a direct state sales tax or duty, then it’s just straight profit. It kills the advantage they had of being the only OEV dealer without a state sales tax. And at $4600 that has to be in excess of 10% of the purchase price?

Ninelitetrip

if you are a Montana resident and we’re purchasing a motorhome or a travel trailer either one would need to be both titled and registered.

If your Montana resident purchasing a truck camper, it only needs to be titled

As a non-resident, I can’t find anything that stipulates that a truck camper has to be either titled or registered and certainly not for the amounts that the dealer is looking for.

Ninelitetrip

Campers – Slide In
Note: MCA 61-3-518 was repealed with the effective date of 1/1/2004; slide-in campers are no longer required to be registered.
A. Campers 1991 and newer must be titled. A person must furnish proof of ownership in the form of a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO), out-of-state title, notarized bill of sale or a conditional sales contract in his/her name.
Montana will not issue titles on truck campers older than 1991.
If a camper does not have a VIN, one will be assigned by the State. A stage 1 inspection verifying no VIN exists must be completed prior to applying for the number. Customer must complete (Form MV10B). Decals are affixed to the camper entrance.
There is a $5 fee for the state-assigned number. (All fees outlined are subject to a 3% administrative fee.)
B. To obtain a Montana title the following required documents must be submitted to the VSB:
1. The proof of ownership as listed above in subsection A.
2. Application for Certificate of Title (Form MV1).
3. The $10 title fee. (All fees outlined are subject to a 3% administrative fee.)
4. The inspection, if the camper does not have a manufacturer’s identification number, as listed above in subsection A (Form MV20).

page 4

tacollie

Glamper
I would almost feel better if they were making a profit off of it. They're literally using Opus VTR which means they're sending the money to them and the DMV here. There is no registration or titling in Colorado. It's still cheaper than if I bought the camper elsewhere. I'm curious where that money will end up.

Ninelitetrip

Perhaps the person doing the paperwork is confusing the truck camper for an RV. All the same It’s an outrageous amount that can’t be justified best I can tell it costs $13 to title it if you’re a Montana resident.

tacollie

Glamper
They are titling and registering it like it's an RV/trailer. David was the salesman I dealt with originally and he was great. Unfortunately once i agreed to buy it he can't do anything and I have to deal with his manager/finance guy. He has not been great to deal with. The price is still good but it makes it hard to recommend Bish's.

Ninelitetrip

Yeah it sounds like they’re just trying to jack you for $4600.

Maybe a phone call to the Montana attorney general office for consumer fraud. There’s no justification for that charge.

reportfraud.ftc.gov
877 382 4357

I would ask for something in writing, citing chapter and verse of Montana law that requires these fees. And then pass them on to the relevant person at the AG office.

The markup from dealer invoice to MSRP with any discount that you’re getting still provides them with plenty of profit.

Ninelitetrip

It also just sets a bad precedent for the next person who is buying a truck camper from out of state and not an RV or motorhome or travel trailer.

MisterSmith

I purchased mine when they were Big Sky RV from David. I paid the price listed on the bill of sale shown as Base Cost. All the other boxes and fees on the bill of sale were left empty. I live in Nevada, there's no need to title a truck camper here. Big Sky RV filled out the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MSO) and notarized it. Someone at Bish's doesn't know what they're doing... seems fishy. Tell them you will not accept the $4600 charge and you prefer to have the assigned MSO instead. I don't think they can force you title it. They probably don't have the MSO may have gone to a bank so they could finance the inventory.

tacollie

Glamper
A little update. To get the sale price they required us to do financing through them. I spoke to the titling person at Bish's and she said I'm correct I don't need to pay the $4,600. Now they don't know what to do with the title for the lien holder. She she said this is the first time they've had this come up. She's digging into it more. I'm trying to talk them into just giving me the price if I pay for it out of pocket.

The finance guy thinks the DMV here will just send me a check for the balance?

Ninelitetrip

A little update. To get the sale price they required us to do financing through them. I spoke to the titling person at Bish's and she said I'm correct I don't need to pay the $4,600. Now they don't know what to do with the title for the lien holder. She she said this is the first time they've had this come up. She's digging into it more. I'm trying to talk them into just giving me the price if I pay for it out of pocket.

The finance guy thinks the DMV here will just send me a check for the balance?

Well, progress I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior