2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
I bought my Camp-X site unseen. Walked through a couple of Palomino campers while waiting for the install yesterday. Wow, the build quality of the Palaminos is pathetic compared to the OEV. So glad we chose the Camp-X. Just getting oriented to it. One potential issue... The "Molle" panel doesn't seem to be speced to true Molle/pals dimensions 1.25 x 1 inch holes (38mm x 28mm). Something to be aware of if you have any accessories that are engineered for true Molle/Pals spec. I have some Builtright Molle Nuts that won't work in the OEV's cutouts. :(

Those Molle nuts look pretty handy but I cannot find any that will fit the Camp-X Molle panel. Have you contacted your installer or OEV to see if the Molle panel manufacturer also makes Molle nuts to fit?

Crux

Looks like OEV got some marketing help. The Camp-X was renamed to "Back Country", the FX to "Alpine", etc.
Now they just need a website make-over by a professional design company ;)

MisterSmith

Those Molle nuts look pretty handy but I cannot find any that will fit the Camp-X Molle panel. Have you contacted your installer or OEV to see if the Molle panel manufacturer also makes Molle nuts to fit?
I have CAMP-X specific Molle nuts drawn and 3D printed, should be able to make a short production run in October. I'll post details next week when I get back from the trip we're on.

okto

Just bought a used camp-x and it came with the red oxx stuff.

Does anyone else have their stuff, and could take a picture of your setup?

Thanks

sumnrfam

Just bought a used camp-x and it came with the red oxx stuff.

Does anyone else have their stuff, and could take a picture of your setup?

Thanks
@okto ,, Can you post some photos of the RedOxx stuff,, been looking for those,, just trying to see where they mount , how much storage there is etc. Thanks!

Shawn M

The clamp down bracket (back left) does not line up correctly and often I can't get it to fasten. This has practically been the case since I bought the camper. Anyone know a fix? Also, stinks they rust so easily. See pic. Thanks!Camp X Tie Down.JPG

thegoldrun

The clamp down bracket (back left) does not line up correctly and often I can't get it to fasten. This has practically been the case since I bought the camper. Anyone know a fix? Also, stinks they rust so easily. See pic. Thanks!

Your roof is not aligned front to back, looks too far forward. Push up from the inside with slight force to the rear. May have to do this a few times to get it centered. Mine shows no rust at all.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
The clamp down bracket (back left) does not line up correctly and often I can't get it to fasten.

I'm assuming that is the rear of the camper based on the light (my 2020 has all 4 clamps on the sides; not front and back).

Regarding how to get the camper to align, are you dropping the front first and then the rear? If so, that is the correct order and I would assume you are because that does leave the roof slightly forward.

From that point, the easiest way to adjust the entire roof rearward is to jiggle the main rear folding bracket inside the camper. Push it up on the handle and let it drop (1/4" or so quick wiggle) 4 or 5 times then check alignment. That action makes the entire roof slide rearward (if doing it on the rear bracket; wiggle front bracket would make it go forward, but hard to get to and really not needed if you lower front first then rear as that order had the rear settle a bit forward). This wiggle trick is by far the easiest way to align the roof front to rear. You can also make a conscious effort to push it a bit rearward as you lower it. But the wiggle is so easy, it's what I do.

You don't want to clamp the roof with it really offset as you show in the image. Seals can't do their job plus rubbing, etc. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

Did all four hooks rust or just one? Maybe a bad run of galvanization? Should be easy to swap out. Might be worth asking your dealer about replacements (warranty or otherwise).

Last edited:

Shawn M

I drop the front first and then the rear and often drop the rear twice as I did notice the alignment was better when I lower it the second time. I will try the wiggle technique tonight. Thanks again! Yes, all of the top hooks rusted pretty fast.

Shawn M

No amount of wiggling or anything else will get my top to line up. I just can't get the back left buckle to be usable. It was always a bit off, but now it's basically a 3 latch camper top. It's like the entire top is a bit twisted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles