2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Thanks for the quick and informative response. I think you're right in that the REDARC was displaying the voltage of the pickup battery on my first truck. I could see that the solar was charging and I was not plugged into shore power. I'm pretty ignorant about the charging system, but I'm learning.

Since we are lucky enough to go camping year around I try to keep the house battery at around 60% when we're not using the camper. We're getting ready to take a 10 day trip north from Arizona through Nevada to northern California.

Thanks again for the information.

It sounds like everything is working and installed correctly, but if you swing through Reno we're happy to take a look at your wiring/charging and even go over any questions or give you a walkthrough around the Redarc if you'd like.

Zero Declination

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Great looking rig! I like how the standard beds in pickups are getting slightly longer. That CAMP-X looks like it sits nearly completely in the bed rather than sticking out 3 or 4 inches like in my '13 Tundra.
Would you mind sharing a pic or two of the interior? Always like to see the latest and greatest and eagle eye for little changes. You mention the CAMP-X is a 2021. I believe OEV is currently producing/shipping 2022 model years so curious on yours being a 2021.

thegoldrun

Nice. Just curious but what is the payload on your truck?

Good question. The sticker on my B pillar states GVWR 7100# Curb Weight 5545# Max Payload 1555#

Great looking rig! I like how the standard beds in pickups are getting slightly longer. That CAMP-X looks like it sits nearly completely in the bed rather than sticking out 3 or 4 inches like in my '13 Tundra.
Would you mind sharing a pic or two of the interior? Always like to see the latest and greatest and eagle eye for little changes. You mention the CAMP-X is a 2021. I believe OEV is currently producing/shipping 2022 model years so curious on yours being a 2021.

I was hoping the camper would sit inside the box entirely allowing the tailgate to close but that’s not the case. The Camp-X hangs over the box floor about 1.5”. I’ll take some interior shots when I have a minute.

My unit is a “preowned” 2021. I use quotes because it’s indistinguishable from new. Big Sky had a new 2022 unit on site and I like the updates but the 2021 was a better choice for me.

Off to Fruita with the family tomorrow I’ll post some action shots next week. Slept in it on the way back home to Colorado on the west side of Teton Pass. Very happy with the overall package so far. The GMC Multi Pro tailgate serves as an excellent porch and step up into the camper. I’m considering fabricating some aluminum straps to keep it in place and running it all the time.
D7CDED21-C14A-46F4-AE8E-A69FF2261D74.jpeg

CEF7518F-21CF-4112-8F65-5CEB985CC2DC.jpeg

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
It sounds like everything is working and installed correctly, but if you swing through Reno we're happy to take a look at your wiring/charging and even go over any questions or give you a walkthrough around the Redarc if you'd like.

Zero Declination

Thanks for the offer pawleyk! We just got back home from our trip and I saw your post today. We probably drove close by your shop on our way back to Arizona from Trinidad CA. Happy to report everything worked well for us despite lots of snow, cold, heavy rain and wind. Camp-X worked like a champ!

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
The folks at Big Sky RV in Bozeman got me setup today w/ a 2021 OEV Camp-X. Mounted to a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 6.6' bed w/ Duramax 3L diesel. Rough Country 3.5" lift + Air Lift 5000 bags.

Shout out David at Big Sky RV and the whole team, the experience was A+

View attachment 718443View attachment 718444
Really nice set up! Yes, David and the folks at Big Sky RV are really good at what they do. We had a great experience there as well.

sn_85

Observer
Yes, CAMP-FX will is basically a "flatbed X" model. Same layout as a CAMP-X (rear door, drivers-side galley, passenger side dinette) but since a flatbed format, there will be much more room for storage since the lower sides of the camper are not notched inward to fit in a pickup bed. There are a couple other nice surprises in the package as well they are still finalizing. Arnold said they will have the specs and pics up on their website in mid-April, well ahead of EXPO West which is where they will be featuring a CAMP-FX. And he said, as the build progresses, they will share info on IG. I'm anxious for the design to mature and the first specs/pics to be released and then I will start a new thread on it. Should be a fun one to see.

Is the CAMP-FX supposed to slot between the X and HBE in terms of pricing? I suppose with a flat rear without angle that material cost might be a bit less.

Chadx

Have not yet had a hint on CAMP-FX pricing. OEV says the first peeks at the CAMP-FX are very close. I think first looks will now be in May. And then the full CAMP-FX debut will be at this years Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, AZ from May 20 to 22.

I started a CAMP-FX thread (a little prematurely as I thought some pics were coming sooner) on Expedition Portal at the following link. That will be a good place to post and discuss when when the official details start coming out.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...camp-fx-flatbed-version-of-the-camp-x.231697/

Last edited:

Dunzee

Really pleased with the ease of installing and fit and finish of OEV’s under seat storage they shipped me. It’ll be for light stuff but you can cram a whole lot of stuff in there.
c137dc619e8269fa782db95bd4fc2900.jpg

Chadx

Neat storage solution. Any intent on raising the dinnette floor to help with leg support? What is the overall seat height increase?

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Is the CAMP-FX supposed to slot between the X and HBE in terms of pricing? I suppose with a flat rear without angle that material cost might be a bit less.

Can't give specifics but YES, it will slot between the X and HBE in price.

thegoldrun

Dometic CFX3 75DZ on the counter tight against the back wall. I reversed the lids to position vents towards the inside of camper. Manual states minimum of 50mm space on all sides. We don’t plan on cooking inside or using the propane burners; we have an 800W 1L kettle for tea and coffee, and a 22” Partner stove for outdoor cooking.

Considering removing the Suburban propane cooktop and replacing the entire kitchen surface with the 2022 bamboo top, uncut. The fridge is large but necessary for a family of four. When in motion we lash it to the space above the battery compartment. I need to install some tie downs on the counter, anyone know where to source the OEM ones used through the camper?

Added a 5gal stainless jerry can to the back molle panels with a Front Runner Vertical Holder, fabricated a support with aluminum bar stock no drilling. Planning to use this for drinking water to supplement onboard tank. I have a 6# aluminum propane tank on order to mount on the right panel for the outdoor kitchen, and a ski rack just to the right of the door. The door now impacts the jerry can mount I need to fabricate an extension to the door bumper hold.

Installed a few suction storage devices from inspiration in this thread. Here are the links to those:

FA83E140-D0E7-4A51-8A84-A935C01A86F8.jpeg

C3F4AD9B-AB85-4DD6-A3C3-3875BF2519E1.jpeg3FEC0826-5633-4B73-B1A5-C868A125CF3E.jpeg

Last edited:

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
Dometic CFX3 75DZ on the counter tight against the back wall. I reversed the lids to position vents towards the inside of camper. Manual states minimum of 50mm space on all sides. We don’t plan on cooking inside or using the propane burners; we have an 800W 1L kettle for tea and coffee, and a 22” Partner stove for outdoor cooking.

Considering removing the Suburban propane cooktop and replacing the entire kitchen surface with the 2022 bamboo top, uncut. The fridge is large but necessary for a family of four. When in motion we lash it to the space above the battery compartment. I need to install some tie downs on the counter, anyone know where to source the OEM ones used through the camper?

Added a 5gal stainless jerry can to the back molle panels with a Front Runner Vertical Holder, fabricated a support with aluminum bar stock no drilling. Planning to use this for drinking water to supplement onboard tank. I have a 6# aluminum propane tank on order to mount on the right panel for the outdoor kitchen, and a ski rack just to the right of the door. The door now impacts the jerry can mount I need to fabricate an extension to the door bumper hold.

Installed a few suction storage devices from inspiration in this thread. Here are the links to those:

View attachment 721851

View attachment 721857View attachment 721858
Nice storage ideas. Thanks.

Curious if you've installed locks for your Torklift tie-downs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94