2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
Yes I have a 11lb propane tank mounted to the driver side Molle. I went with a power tank propane bottle bracket, then went to the hardware store for some 1" width strip aluminum, drilled some holes and then used that to fasten some bolts through the power tank mount then Molle then aluminum strip. It came out pretty good and I've been happy with it. Nice thing about the OEV Molle is that you can remove it with all the bolts on the outside edges. So you can pull the panel off entirely to mount stuff to it. Only tip I would tell you is if you're mounting to the driver side, mount the bottle as far to the side of the camper if possible so the door doesn't come in contact with it when opening.

Jake
Thanks. I appreciate the advice Jake.

Dunzee

Has anyone attached a maxtrax or a propane tank to the Molle panel on their Camp-X? Curious to know how you attached them, hardware used, lockability, etc.

I've read about a Trax-Clamp mount that looks interesting for easily storing maxtrax, but pretty sure I could just bolt them onto the Molle frame with the right hardware.

Thanks.

FYI, we've camped several times with our Camp-X in the past few months with around five nights of sub-freezing or near sub-freezing temperatures. Kept the inside thermostat at 60 degrees overnight. In total, we used about 1/2 pound of propane. That heater is very efficient.
I already had the AT Overland propane and jerry can holders from my Habitat camper days so I simply added these to the Molle racks. I used GP Factor traction board latch kit for my Maxtrax boards. The 10lb propane tank is for a Blackstone griddle that stores neatly under the dinette floor. As Jake mentioned, it was easier to remove the Molle panels and mount these properly using stainless steel hardware and Loctite.
Louis

Attachments

• 2E9F5F48-2CF1-4B1E-A303-BC19377D5987.jpeg
    2E9F5F48-2CF1-4B1E-A303-BC19377D5987.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

MisterSmith

Truck is packed for 810 miles / 12 hours of driving to Big Sky RV in Bozeman. Picking up a new 2022 CAMP-X at 9:00 am on Tuesday. Stay tuned....

Thanks @chadx , I feel well prepared after reading all the info you posted in this thread.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Chad, I just want to add my thanks to you for this and your HBE thread.

My pleasure. A lot of great discussion and ideas from everyone on the thread. The fun expedition portal.

Truck is packed for 810 miles / 12 hours of driving to Big Sky RV in Bozeman. Picking up a new 2022 CAMP-X at 9:00 am on Tuesday. Stay tuned....

Congrats! I'll face northwest and wave around 9am on Tuesday (I'm around a mile from BSRV as the crow flies).

pk22

My 2021 Camp X is for sale if anyone is interested. Im in BC Canada and will be storing it in Ontario Canada if anyone interested out that way

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
I already had the AT Overland propane and jerry can holders from my Habitat camper days so I simply added these to the Molle racks. I used GP Factor traction board latch kit for my Maxtrax boards. The 10lb propane tank is for a Blackstone griddle that stores neatly under the dinette floor. As Jake mentioned, it was easier to remove the Molle panels and mount these properly using stainless steel hardware and Loctite.
Louis
Thanks for the information, Dunzee. Looks great on your Power Wagon (?) truck.

MisterSmith

My experience at Big Sky RV in Bozeman was excellent. Arrived at 9:30 and they had me on the way just after lunch. Loving my new 2022 CAMP-X!!!

campx1.jpg

campx2.jpg

campx3.jpg

Boondocking tonight on my way back home, it's 17° F outside and I'm perfectly comfortable with the heater set on 60°.

Dunzee

My experience at Big Sky RV in Bozeman was excellent. Arrived at 9:30 and they had me on the way just after lunch. Loving my new 2022 CAMP-X!!!

campx1.jpg

campx2.jpg

campx3.jpg

Boondocking tonight on my way back home, it's 17° F outside and I'm perfectly comfortable with the heater set on 60°.
Congrats and welcome to the OEV family!

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul

campx1.jpg

campx2.jpg

campx3.jpg

Congratulations on the new camper. It looks great.

Dunzee

For those of you looking for under seat storage, Arnold and Erik at OEV had discussed the concept when we picked up our Camp X in July and you can see a video on the OEV Instagram account. Here are photos I received from Erik. I’ve ordered it, looking for a bit of extra room. it means moving the table support up a bit and the supports for the table are 4 inches higher on the new platform.

Attachments

• 7EB00A5B-CCCA-4145-BB78-B2C3182C7B5F.jpeg
    7EB00A5B-CCCA-4145-BB78-B2C3182C7B5F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 83
  • 80E03284-3340-4923-8BC8-1D3DDD2A64CD.jpeg
    80E03284-3340-4923-8BC8-1D3DDD2A64CD.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Very cool! Thanks for sharing! With the higher seating platform, will mean less headroom when sitting with the top down (something I can do currently without the rise in seat height). Small trade off, though, and would be worth it for the storage. If they make it standard, it would be good to move the side window higher. In the current position, as shown in the pictures, the 4" thick seat cushion will push against the lower window frame rather than sit under the frame and push against the wall. The dinette footrest will also need to be raised the same amount as the seat height to keep foot/leg support comfortable which will mean a higher step up, but will also offer a larger storage space under the dinette foot platform. Love it!

Ninelitetrip

Thanks for posting that. Nice addition if you need more storage. If ordering new would be nice to have the choice of raising the window and the footrest. Hopefully some changes coming to the HBE for more storage.

MisterSmith

Well, now that we're home, it's time to start the customization process. I played around with the battery compartment and came up with the following. The compartment on the 2022 model may be slightly different than what was found on previous years. Here's a picture:

20220128_123529a.jpg

The dimensions for the compartment are 8.42" Wide x 24.635" Deep x 14.54" Tall

There are some white plastic "sliders" on the floor of the compartment, I think they're made of PEEK or a similar material. The sliders make the dimensions 8.42" Wide x 24.635" Deep x 13.885" Tall. They're not bolted down.

The battery box slide tray unit is easily removed:

20220128_124115a.jpg

The dimensions of the tray are 7.610" Wide x 24.365" Long x 14.325" Tall.

I brought a couple of Battleborn 12V 100Ah batteries to Big Sky RV when I picked up the camper. They installed them, but it's a tight squeeze that doesn't work as well as I would like. The BB100Ah measures 12.76" × 6.86" × 8.95". They have built in strap holders that end up making them a little too long for the tray. If the strap holders were ground off, I think they would fit. Here you can see the interference.

20220128_120538.jpg

A possible option would be changing to the new Battleborn Group 24 sized 75Ah model @ 10.49" × 7.11" × 8.93". Two of those would fit very nicely and give 150Ah of power. I also think you could get two of the Battleborn GC2's @ 10.31 × 7.28 × 11.02 to fit just fine. However, I have two of the Battleborn GC3's in our trailer and really like them. As luck would have it, the GC3 measures 22.83" × 7.09" × 13.15" and will fit perfectly in the CAMP-X. I'll be going with a GC3, as it will up our capacity to 270Ah and I like its integrated heating feature so I never worry about charging issues due to cold tempuratures.

GC3.jpg

Next up will be looking into an inverter...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles