2020 Overland Explorer CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper

PaulPritchard

Arizona_Paul
IMG_0396.jpeg
This is the back of the water tank looking to the rear of the camper. Hard to get a good picture but it shows the shape change. The dimensions are 15" wide by 15" deep by 22" long (short side) and 24" long on the longer side.

Let me know if you want addition information.

chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Makes sense. So, of the extra length was for about 1/2 the tank, that would be (7.5 x 15 x 22) + (7.5 x 15 x 24) = 2,475 + 2,700 = 5,175 cu inches. divided by 231 (cu volume of a US gallon) = 22.4 gallons. Seems about right calling that 20 gallons usable.

I just measured my CAMPX tank and it's 24L x 12W x 16T = 4,608 cu inches which is 19.94 gallons. Call it 18 gallons usable. There are a couple 2" x 2" molding indents on the visible side. Not sure about the non-visible side. but even two of those would be less than 1/2 gallon. I somehow had it in my head that my year CAMP-X was 10 gallon vs 20 gallon but measurements indicate it's about 20 gallons.

Last edited:

stevo_pct

How thick are the walls of the water tank? You're using outer dimensions above. So it will be less than the estimates above, but probably not by too much.

chadx

They look to be about 1/4" thick walls. Correct in that my dimensions were outside. I tried to account for both wall thickness and leaving an air gap at top of tank when I called the calculated 19.94 gallons 18 usable. For fun, if I reduce each outside dimension by 1/2", that still comes out to 18.13 gallons. The goofy part is I went back and looked at my own posts in this thread and found only a single reference to water tank size and that was when mentioned the water tank orientation changed between 2019 and 2020 and in that single line, I reference a 20 gallon water tank. Not sure at what point I recently got 10 gallon stuck in my head. Embarrassing. Ha. I'll update my above posts referring to 10 gallons as to not confuse future readers.

In any case, fun to calculate the new tank vs the old as it appears there are a couple extra gallon of capacity/leeway in the new.

Last edited:

pk22

Well Aug 30th I finally got to Red Deer, Alberta where the Camp X is made and picked ours up. I’m living and traveling in it full time so its been a learning process of what to use for storage etc. I removed the rear seats in the truck to “increase” the payload (mine is 1700lbs) and to make a “bike garage” . Hope to see some of you out there….1FB9EF28-4BB2-4BE1-B52D-E473F23211BC.jpegF61BBAB6-7F1E-49C3-A538-20ADF3B45B82.jpeg907DBF23-C6C6-4713-814A-5CF3DFB51268.jpeg

chadx

Congrats! We love our North of the Border trips. This year's trip was delayed, but hopeful things will normalize a bit next summer. Meanwhile, no shortage of trips around our local mountain ranges.
Thanks for posting some pics. Would love to see others post some pictures out and about with their rigs. Guess I could do the same, though most of ours are just in the timber so not quite the same caliber as the above. Ha.

pk22

Well I camped last night in my first sub zero temps (-3C) and had some beautiful snow to awake to! I’ve got some condensation all around the caulking line at the roof top which I’m sure is normal as yet I have wetness under my bed so I think I’m going to have to experiment with the heat/fans/ and proper amount of windows open to correct this. It’s just w the heater running all night Im not wanting too much open to loose the heat (so as not to freeze the water line, I have the truma hot water drained and shut off). Anyone found the perfect balance? This is a learning process for sure in terms of what works and doesn’t.
ps Chad the photos in timbers can be just as pretty as any :2C97F42F-419D-42DA-9A25-BF7E9EDC3402.jpeg