2020 Land Rover Defender is a Nightmare

NJoverland

The dealer by me quoted me $9k to clear my dash light (new diff, CVs, locker, prop shaft) then told me they weren't sure if it was going to correct the issue. of course I declined. Today I got a post card in the mail telling me they care about me and my truck and I should come in and get the recommended work completed.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I read an online review and it took Land Rover three cars to get one that ran to the reviewers. Land Rover's reputation is well documented. My brother traded his Range Rover Sport for a Defender because the Range Rover was not reliable . I'm sure he has not put more than 1K on the defender so far.

DFNDER

Just a little perspective, there are lots of very happy Defender owners out there. My 2021 has 25K completely trouble free miles, many of them towing, some of them off road. It is a dream on long drives, and though maybe not a pure rock crawler, it is a fantastic overland vehicle with payload that puts many other so called tough guy vehicles to shame. Sorry for the OP’s troubles, but for some of us at least, this new Defender shines. As to why we’d buy this over an old one, survival for one. I wouldn’t let a friend let alone a family member near a highway in an old Defender. Chances of survival are about nil in anything worse than a fender bender.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Setting the hyperbole aside.

One module failed during a period when every auto manufacturer on the planet is facing chip shortages and other supply chain snarls.

Should JLR ensure you have something to drive, adjust your lease, and make you whole for the time the truck was down? Yes, absolutely.

Also, I would offer that every new vehicle has issues. Here is a short running list of items I've personally had replaced on cars still under warranty:

Tesla - door handles, charge controller, TPMS module
Ford - door handles, front diff
BMW - full transmission (ZF case casting issues)
Lexus - speakers

Every brand has its stuff, it is going to come down to the escalation path you can take with your dealer and with JLR NA.
I bet that Lexus had to be dragged out of the driveway for speakers…?

DFNDER

Apart from the winch install, which was dealer error, and a few other new model issues, TFL were absolute idiots taking the stock AT tires on that trail, and then compounding the problem by airing down on 20 inch wheels. The Instructors at LR experience will tell you never to air down 20’s on a Land Rover especially on pointy rocks. Beach is the only place where it makes sense. Benefit of airing down on a 20 is minimal, and downside is high risk of pinch flat or puncture. The car is amazing off road even when on 20’s and if that’s the main thing, there is the option to go to 18’s.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Apart from the winch install, which was dealer error, and a few other new model issues, TFL were absolute idiots taking the stock AT tires on that trail, and then compounding the problem by airing down on 20 inch wheels. The Instructors at LR experience will tell you never to air down 20’s on a Land Rover especially on pointy rocks. Beach is the only place where it makes sense. Benefit of airing down on a 20 is minimal, and downside is high risk of pinch flat or puncture. The car is amazing off road even when on 20’s and if that’s the main thing, there is the option to go to 18’s.
“A few other model issues”…?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior