2020 Land Rover Defender is a Nightmare

permalux

I entered into a lease on a 2020 Defender about 14 months ago. The car was sitting in my driveway when the telematics module (Part #LR157184) failed. That rendered the car inoperable. It couldn't be put in neutral so it was literally dragged onto a flatbed. I live in a small island community with only one tow operator. He said he's towed at least 10 Defenders which he remarked was odd given the cars are essentially brand new. The car has been at the dealer for over two months and they can't tell me when the part will become available - the date keeps changing. I called Land Rover to see if they would suspend my lease payments given that I've spent $2k+ on a car that I don't have. They told me they could give me a credit towards future repairs or merchandise (t-shirt anyone?). They said they would call me back the next week with an update and a financial offer. They didn't call. I called back and as it turns out, they didn't even open a case number. I'm now trying to break the lease. These cars are very cool, but buyer beware. They are ticking time bombs and when it blows up, you're on your own.

land-rover.png

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm not your lawyer, nor do I play on TV, but most States have lemon laws that require mfr buy back after certain criteria. You might qualify. Did your dealer provide a loaner vehicle? If not, you might have some standing in terms of not paying or delay paying. At the very least, you should ask for an extended warranty, offset by the number of months you have to wait for your car to be furnished in running order.

Correus

Adventurer
I'm not your lawyer, nor do I play on TV, but most States have lemon laws that require mfr buy back after certain criteria. You might qualify. Did your dealer provide a loaner vehicle? If not, you might have some standing in terms of not paying or delay paying. At the very least, you should ask for an extended warranty, offset by the number of months you have to wait for your car to be furnished in running order.

As a non-practicing paralegal... I think the Lemon law only applies for 90 days for those State that have them.

SkiWill

You live in a small island community and there are 10 broken new Defenders on it? That's about the most surprising part to me about this story.

Anyway, I'm assuming you're somewhere like Martha's Vineyard then. No disrespect, just how many other small island communities are going to have 10 new Defenders?

So, if you're in Massachusetts, the lease lemon law states:

Please note: If your car is out of service during repair attempts for 15 or more business days, that also meets the requirement, even if there aren’t 3 separate repair attempts. Under this law, a business day is any day the service department of an authorized dealer is open for business.

During the repair process, make sure that you:

• Keep complete and accurate records of all contact with the manufacturer and dealer.
  • Keep all receipts.
So, given that it's been out of service for over 2 months, I'd say you qualify under the Mass lemon law. It varies state to state, but if I've guessed wrong, my guess is that whatever state you're in isn't too far off these stipulations. Two months is a very long time. The only issue you may have is if the car failed after 12 months into your lease (you're at 14 months with 2 months in the shop), you may be out of the lemon law period by a few days, which sucks.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy any vehicle currently in production now if you're able to get out of this current nightmare. All parts are going to go to the assembly line vehicle in production and almost nothing will be available as replacement parts given how much of a disaster the supply chains are at the moment and how much money car manufacturers are missing out on because they can't run full production capacity. Sadly, their priority is not your experience. Their priority is getting a car built and out the door and money in the bank right now, which is why I'll be keeping my cars until this mess passes.

OregonGX

Setting the hyperbole aside.

One module failed during a period when every auto manufacturer on the planet is facing chip shortages and other supply chain snarls.

Should JLR ensure you have something to drive, adjust your lease, and make you whole for the time the truck was down? Yes, absolutely.

Also, I would offer that every new vehicle has issues. Here is a short running list of items I've personally had replaced on cars still under warranty:

Tesla - door handles, charge controller, TPMS module
Ford - door handles, front diff
BMW - full transmission (ZF case casting issues)
Lexus - speakers

Every brand has its stuff, it is going to come down to the escalation path you can take with your dealer and with JLR NA.

DieselRanger

I entered into a lease on a 2020 Defender about 14 months ago. The car was sitting in my driveway when the telematics module (Part #LR157184) failed. That rendered the car inoperable. It couldn't be put in neutral so it was literally dragged onto a flatbed. I live in a small island community with only one tow operator. He said he's towed at least 10 Defenders which he remarked was odd given the cars are essentially brand new. The car has been at the dealer for over two months and they can't tell me when the part will become available - the date keeps changing. I called Land Rover to see if they would suspend my lease payments given that I've spent $2k+ on a car that I don't have. They told me they could give me a credit towards future repairs or merchandise (t-shirt anyone?). They said they would call me back the next week with an update and a financial offer. They didn't call. I called back and as it turns out, they didn't even open a case number. I'm now trying to break the lease. These cars are very cool, but buyer beware. They are ticking time bombs and when it blows up, you're on your own.

Give the dealer one try to make it right, then escalate directly to JLR NA. If you don't get satisfaction from the dealer, the best way I've seen people get a response is to get on JLR NA's Twitter or Insta feed and politely but clearly comment that you are dissatisfied with the vehicle. Their Social Media team will usually post publicly asking you to DM them - when they do, take it offline.

But understand as others have said - chip issues are affecting everyone (including satellite manufacturers, airplane manufacturers, phones, laptops...garage door openers...) and there may be very little they can do for you until supply chain issues ease.

JLR is extremely sensitive right now about dealer service center performance and customer satisfaction. They know they have a lot to overcome in terms of brand reputation, are investing heavily in that campaign, and are willing to "help improve" (read: punish with fewer allocations) bad dealers.

My 2017 Discovery HSE Td6 has been solidly reliable - I really like the new Defender, and the aftermarket has really stepped up - but sadly, no diesel option is a deal breaker for me - even with today's fuel prices. Till we have 400kWh batteries that fit in a suitcase-sized / single-person carry module, I'm sticking with my Disco.

permalux

You live in a small island community and there are 10 broken new Defenders on it? That's about the most surprising part to me about this story.

Anyway, I'm assuming you're somewhere like Martha's Vineyard then. No disrespect, just how many other small island communities are going to have 10 new Defenders?

So, if you're in Massachusetts, the lease lemon law states:

Please note: If your car is out of service during repair attempts for 15 or more business days, that also meets the requirement, even if there aren’t 3 separate repair attempts. Under this law, a business day is any day the service department of an authorized dealer is open for business.

During the repair process, make sure that you:

• Keep complete and accurate records of all contact with the manufacturer and dealer.
  • Keep all receipts.
So, given that it's been out of service for over 2 months, I'd say you qualify under the Mass lemon law. It varies state to state, but if I've guessed wrong, my guess is that whatever state you're in isn't too far off these stipulations. Two months is a very long time. The only issue you may have is if the car failed after 12 months into your lease (you're at 14 months with 2 months in the shop), you may be out of the lemon law period by a few days, which sucks.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy any vehicle currently in production now if you're able to get out of this current nightmare. All parts are going to go to the assembly line vehicle in production and almost nothing will be available as replacement parts given how much of a disaster the supply chains are at the moment and how much money car manufacturers are missing out on because they can't run full production capacity. Sadly, their priority is not your experience. Their priority is getting a car built and out the door and money in the bank right now, which is why I'll be keeping my cars until this mess passes.
I live in Shelter Island, NY. It's a sleepy beach community 9 months out of the year with about 2,000 residents. It swells to around 10,000 in the Summer. Lot of second homes.

permalux

Give the dealer one try to make it right, then escalate directly to JLR NA. If you don't get satisfaction from the dealer, the best way I've seen people get a response is to get on JLR NA's Twitter or Insta feed and politely but clearly comment that you are dissatisfied with the vehicle. Their Social Media team will usually post publicly asking you to DM them - when they do, take it offline.

But understand as others have said - chip issues are affecting everyone (including satellite manufacturers, airplane manufacturers, phones, laptops...garage door openers...) and there may be very little they can do for you until supply chain issues ease.

JLR is extremely sensitive right now about dealer service center performance and customer satisfaction. They know they have a lot to overcome in terms of brand reputation, are investing heavily in that campaign, and are willing to "help improve" (read: punish with fewer allocations) bad dealers.

My 2017 Discovery HSE Td6 has been solidly reliable - I really like the new Defender, and the aftermarket has really stepped up - but sadly, no diesel option is a deal breaker for me - even with today's fuel prices. Till we have 400kWh batteries that fit in a suitcase-sized / single-person carry module, I'm sticking with my Disco.
The dealer has been supportive, but hands are tied. They are the ones that recommended I speak to Land Rover NA who has been wildly unresponsive. Appreciate the advice.

SkiWill

I live in Shelter Island, NY. It's a sleepy beach community 9 months out of the year with about 2,000 residents. It swells to around 10,000 in the Summer. Lot of second homes.

You're actually in a better position. New York gives you 24 months or 18,000 miles of coverage:

Cars covered by the law include any car that:

• Was covered by a warranty at original delivery; AND
  • Was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; AND
  • Was either purchased, leased or transferred in New York State or is presently registered in the state; AND
  • Is used primarily for personal purposes.
Duty to Repair:

A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

• Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
  • The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.
Try DieselRanger's tactic to get JLR NA to be more responsive. As others have mentioned, the chip shortage and totally whacked supply chain are crushing people including my own industry projects right now so a quick remedy is unlikely. They should still make you whole regardless.

In any event, you have some legal protection should it come to that. I would hope that JLR becomes more responsive. Good luck.

bri

Adventurer
The dealer has been supportive, but hands are tied. They are the ones that recommended I speak to Land Rover NA who has been wildly unresponsive. Appreciate the advice.

LRNA is always non responsive. Dealt with them for 27 years, they suck.

bri

Adventurer
Chip shortage, supply chain, what a load of crap. If you are not prepared to support a new product, that speaks a load about your company. I seriously doubt that LR ever sees me purchase another new vehicle. For the new Defender, I think you would be much better off buying well maintained used, the wrinkles might be ironed out.

I would just hire a lawyer and ditch the lease 2 months in the shop for a new vehicle is unacceptable. Post on BBB, post on every LR forum and post reviews on the dealer.

I would try to change to a credit card auto payment and then dispute the charge, you could do more aggressive things like open a checking account, deplete the funds and no overdraft protection and just let them get overdraft notices.... they have already done worse to you. If you get in trouble for it, I never said a thing. ;-)

bri

Adventurer
You're actually in a better position. New York gives you 24 months or 18,000 miles of coverage:

Cars covered by the law include any car that:

• Was covered by a warranty at original delivery; AND
  • Was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; AND
  • Was either purchased, leased or transferred in New York State or is presently registered in the state; AND
  • Is used primarily for personal purposes.
Duty to Repair:

A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

• Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
  • The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.
Try DieselRanger's tactic to get JLR NA to be more responsive. As others have mentioned, the chip shortage and totally whacked supply chain are crushing people including my own industry projects right now so a quick remedy is unlikely. They should still make you whole regardless.

In any event, you have some legal protection should it come to that. I would hope that JLR becomes more responsive. Good luck.

Likely this won't apply. There are always exceptions and BS supply chain issues are a car manufactures "out". They know it and don't care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94