2020 KTM 390 Adventure

shade

I didn't see this bike being discussed. I'd like to see Overland Journal post a review to compare with others that are popping up.

I'm looking for a first bike for Dual Sport/ADV, and this seems to fit with what I'm after.

Street legal
Off-pavement capable
Possibly useful for multi-day road trips
Fairly light
Quality construction
Rider aids to keep me in one piece
Reasonably priced

I'd rather have spoke wheels, and those are supposed to be offered soon.
Anyone else considering this bike?

crazysccrmd

Observer
As long as you aren’t a big/tall guy or plan to carry a lot of weight it seems pretty ideal. A good size and weight to make offroad less of a challenge compared to big adv bikes, adequate power to move it around well enough and a good price for what you’re getting. The description as a lighter and modernized KLR seems close.

shade

That's what I'm seeing so far. It should work well for my size, and if I decide to overnight with it, I already have a lightweight backpacking kit that will work fine on a bike. I like that the bike seems pretty well equipped from the start.

One factor I need to investigate is maintenance. If the intervals are reasonably long, and it's not a huge PITA, I'll do my own work. I also need to see what kind of reputation the local dealership has, since I'd prefer buying close to home.

gentimmy

I didn't see this bike being discussed. I'd like to see Overland Journal post a review to compare with others that are popping up.

I'm looking for a first bike for Dual Sport/ADV, and this seems to fit with what I'm after.

Street legal
Off-pavement capable
Possibly useful for multi-day road trips
Fairly light
Quality construction
Rider aids to keep me in one piece
Reasonably priced

I'd rather have spoke wheels, and those are supposed to be offered soon.
Anyone else considering this bike?

it’s not what you think it is...this is a road bike with suspension unsuitable for off pavement. Check out the thread on ADVRider.

shade

it’s not what you think it is...this is a road bike with suspension unsuitable for off pavement. Check out the thread on ADVRider.
I looked into it some more. It still might be a good bike, but I ended up with a 2019 Honda CRF450L.
For me, I think the Honda will more than make up for whatever advantages the KTM may have over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles