2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.0L EcoDiesel

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

goin camping

Explorer
Wife has the diesel Grand Cherokee that gives her 28 mpg hwy. Would imagine the Wrangler will get better. Worse aero but less weight.

I may trade up my wrangler for a used diesel if they pan out.

pittsburgh

tacocat
This might sway me to unload both my Tacoma and my LJ to get a Wrangler or Gladiator with a diesel that can go 400-500 miles between fuel ups. Especially since I don't live in the rockies any more. It is about a 1,400 mile drive to Denver for me these days.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This might sway me to unload both my Tacoma and my LJ to get a Wrangler or Gladiator with a diesel that can go 400-500 miles between fuel ups. Especially since I don't live in the rockies any more. It is about a 1,400 mile drive to Denver for me these days.

The rumor is that the rated mileage will be better than the 2.0L Turbo gas. I have my fingers crossed.

The bad news is that it sounds like they might have reduced the fuel tank capacity to 18 gallons on the JLU diesel. I haven't been able to find much info on why. Some people say weight, the DEF tank, etc. Personally, I want a 30 gallon useable tank that doesn't hang down under the frame anymore! I honestly think it is possible on the JLU platform with some aftermarket support.

pittsburgh

tacocat
The rumor is that the rated mileage will be better than the 2.0L Turbo gas. I have my fingers crossed.

The bad news is that it sounds like they might have reduced the fuel tank capacity to 18 gallons on the JLU diesel. I haven't been able to find much info on why. Some people say weight, the DEF tank, etc. Personally, I want a 30 gallon useable tank that doesn't hang down under the frame anymore! I honestly think it is possible on the JLU platform with some aftermarket support.
Even if it only gets 25 MPG real world that’s 450 miles to a tank. Which is better than my LJ or Taco.

I am sure someone will offer a larger capacity fuel tank aftermarket

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Even if it only gets 25 MPG real world that’s 450 miles to a tank. Which is better than my LJ or Taco.

I am sure someone will offer a larger capacity fuel tank aftermarket

I hope so. I talked with Titan Fuel Tanks a bit about the idea. For hard trails the JK and JL platform fuel tank has always suffered from a lot of impacts when trying to climb large ledges as the rear end breaks over.

Bobzdar

Observer
Wife has the diesel Grand Cherokee that gives her 28 mpg hwy. Would imagine the Wrangler will get better. Worse aero but less weight.

I may trade up my wrangler for a used diesel if they pan out.

Doubtful, pentastar Wrangler is about 3mpg behind the GC, so I'd expect similar from the diesel Wrangler. That'd put it ~25mpg, still quite a bit better than the 20-21mpg the pentastar gets.

jmodz

Doubtful, pentastar Wrangler is about 3mpg behind the GC, so I'd expect similar from the diesel Wrangler. That'd put it ~25mpg, still quite a bit better than the 20-21mpg the pentastar gets.
The new gen eco diesel should get better than the gen 1 though. The estimate is 30mpg in the Ram, so I’d expect 28mpg is realistic with the new engine for the Wrangler.

Bobzdar

Observer
The new gen eco diesel should get better than the gen 1 though. The estimate is 30mpg in the Ram, so I’d expect 28mpg is realistic with the new engine for the Wrangler.

The pentastar gets 25mpg highway in the ram, so not sure that's a realistic expectation for the Wrangler. It'd be nice, but I don't think it'll get much over 25mpg.

jmodz

The pentastar gets 25mpg highway in the ram, so not sure that's a realistic expectation for the Wrangler. It'd be nice, but I don't think it'll get much over 25mpg.
25 mpg might be more realistic. But seems lower than what I think Jeep would be targeting. More and more gas engines are hitting 25mpg highway so I’d like to see the diesel get better.

pittsburgh

tacocat
25 mpg might be more realistic. But seems lower than what I think Jeep would be targeting. More and more gas engines are hitting 25mpg highway so I’d like to see the diesel get better.

I agree the diesel should be getting closer to 30 in the Wrangler. My father in law has the 2.0 in is Rubicon and he gets 19-24 depending on the driving he does, before his Rubicon he had a sport with the 2.0 and was getting around 20.

I can't imagine Jeep would keep 3 engines around if 2 of them were getting similar mileage.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
For years people have said I'll believe it when I see it.
Well, the time has come

Jeep estimate (official EPA figures are not in yet) is 30mpg highway.

Very, very, very interesting.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94