2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.0L EcoDiesel

I honestly think the Rubicon package with the Diesel is going to be a waste. The 8spd auto doesn't need the 4:1 transfer case in my experience. The diesel package is going to include a Dana 44 front and rear axle also ( minus the rubicon lockers and extra axle width ). I think the diesel package is going to be the sleeper deal of the decade for the JLU.
ithink it depends on what axels the diesel comes with. all that power and axels break.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
ithink it depends on what axels the diesel comes with. all that power and axels break.

The diesel package adds a 'sport/sahara' width Dana 44 front and rear. They are the same axle design as the Rubicon minus the lockers but about 1" narrower per side.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Wow, I don't think anyone would have predicted it's only $3,250 over the gas V6 AND it comes with Dana 44s front and rear for that price.
I think it's an excellent deal at that price, and it's going to be super interesting to see the mileage numbers.

It's a shame they had to reduce the size of the diesel tank down to 18 gallons... it would have been amazing with 22.

I can't wait to drive one of these, fingers crossed at the SEMA event.

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Wow, I don't think anyone would have predicted it's only $3,250 over the gas V6 AND it comes with Dana 44s front and rear for that price.
I think it's an excellent deal at that price, and it's going to be super interesting to see the mileage numbers.

It's a shame they had to reduce the size of the diesel tank down to 18 gallons... it would have been amazing with 22.

I can't wait to drive one of these, fingers crossed at the SEMA event.

-Dan

Exactly!

In the Sport and Sahara I think the D44 rear with limited slip has been $600 alone!

Last edited:

Zeep

Adventurer
In hoping for higher tow ratings on a Wrangler, it sounds like the tail wagging the dog!

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I wouldn't get excited for a higher tow rating. It's more than just the engine. They would need to up the brakes and cooling too but there's nothing they can do about the wheel base. There's a reason why the Gladiator has a higher tow rating. They addressed all of these but didn't do anything with the engine.

Personally, I think the age of the diesel is gone. The benefits (tough, fuel economy, torque) have all been reduced in order to make them better on emissions. Now they are over complicated and just barely get better mileage than many gas engines.
I disagree. Diesel engines are making more power than ever and returning better MPG #s than ever before. Engine reliability is second to none. They blow comparabe gas engines out of the water. A diesel engine is not complicated, never has been. The engines themselves are less stressed, less EGR etc because of the increased reliance of DEF etc. I honestly think this is the heyday of diesel engines. They are clean for one thing. Cleaner than a gasoline engine!

G0to60

Observer
I disagree. Diesel engines are making more power than ever and returning better MPG #s than ever before. Engine reliability is second to none. They blow comparabe gas engines out of the water. A diesel engine is not complicated, never has been. The engines themselves are less stressed, less EGR etc because of the increased reliance of DEF etc. I honestly think this is the heyday of diesel engines. They are clean for one thing. Cleaner than a gasoline engine!
But right there you have listed an additional system that wasn't on older diesels. The DEF system, while not complicated, is another system that will need attention. Along with particle filters. The diesel engine itself is likely very reliable but all the accessories around it add complexity that most people in this group try to avoid. There's a reason that NA gas engines are much more popular than turbo or supercharged engines because they are less complicated with fewer things that may need attention.

I hope I'm wrong as diesels are a great and efficient engine by themselves but I just see the increase in complexity to be their Accilles heal.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
But right there you have listed an additional system that wasn't on older diesels. The DEF system, while not complicated, is another system that will need attention. Along with particle filters. The diesel engine itself is likely very reliable but all the accessories around it add complexity that most people in this group try to avoid. There's a reason that NA gas engines are much more popular than turbo or supercharged engines because they are less complicated with fewer things that may need attention.

I hope I'm wrong as diesels are a great and efficient engine by themselves but I just see the increase in complexity to be their Accilles heal.

Except in every other part of the world diesel powered vehicles are very very common. While they have been losing a little ground due to heavy emissions regulation, they still make up almost 40% of new vehicle sales. We just don't get the same options as the rest of the world. Euro and US emissions requirements are also not aligned.

The turbo on my 1992 Dodge W250 diesel was still going strong at 400,000 miles.

I do miss the simple mechanically injected diesel engines....but 'simple' was still a bit of a misnomer. People didn't just rebuild their injection pumps on the tailgate very often.

Gasoline engine technology is every bit as complex as diesel engines these days with trends toward direct injection, forced induction, emissions requirements, etc.

G0to60

Observer
Except in every other part of the world diesel powered vehicles are very very common. While they have been losing a little ground due to heavy emissions regulation, they still make up almost 40% of new vehicle sales. We just don't get the same options as the rest of the world. Euro and US emissions requirements are also not aligned.

The turbo on my 1992 Dodge W250 diesel was still going strong at 400,000 miles.

I do miss the simple mechanically injected diesel engines....but 'simple' was still a bit of a misnomer. People didn't just rebuild their injection pumps on the tailgate very often.

Gasoline engine technology is every bit as complex as diesel engines these days with trends toward direct injection, forced induction, emissions requirements, etc.

I get all of that and older diesels are great but I'm talking about modern, brand new diesels in the US. These are more complex now then ever with the systems I mentioned. For simplicity compare the upcoming diesel for the Wrangler to the current 3.6L gas engine. If the diesel engine was just the 3.0L with a turbo and electronic injection like in not too long past I would say for sure the diesel. But with all of the emissions systems that have to put on now it makes them much more complicated and I see that complication being a negative in longevity.

Now, the one saving grace in my mind that I am wrong (I fully accept that I could be off base) is the engine has be around since 2015 (?) so a lot of the bugs have been worked out. If they got everything going well then it could be a good option.

Don't get me wrong about diesels either. I really, really wish my Audi in my profile picture came with the TDI version they got in Europe.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I get all of that and older diesels are great but I'm talking about modern, brand new diesels in the US. These are more complex now then ever with the systems I mentioned. For simplicity compare the upcoming diesel for the Wrangler to the current 3.6L gas engine. If the diesel engine was just the 3.0L with a turbo and electronic injection like in not too long past I would say for sure the diesel. But with all of the emissions systems that have to put on now it makes them much more complicated and I see that complication being a negative in longevity.

Now, the one saving grace in my mind that I am wrong (I fully accept that I could be off base) is the engine has be around since 2015 (?) so a lot of the bugs have been worked out. If they got everything going well then it could be a good option.

Don't get me wrong about diesels either. I really, really wish my Audi in my profile picture came with the TDI version they got in Europe.

I don't think modern gasoline engines are THAT much less complex than modern diesel engines really. Direct injection requires basically the same very high pressure injection technology as a diesel CRD electronic injection system. Start/Stop technology is adding another layer of electronics. Multiple Catalytic converters are not THAT different really than a DPF filter honestly. Turbo gas engines are more common than ever. The VVT systems are very common in gas engines. The only thing really exclusive to the diesel is the Urea after-treatment, which doesn't seem to be too much of an issue other than a headache as far as packaging and sourcing fluid.

I don't know if it has been confirmed yet, but the rumor is that the 2.0L Turbo engine package will be the 'standard' engine for the Wrangler in 2020. The 3.6 will have an up-charge. That might change the game a little bit with the 3.0 diesel option. And close the cost margin between the options even further.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
In hoping for higher tow ratings on a Wrangler, it sounds like the tail wagging the dog!

I have my fingers crossed too, but the rumor is that it will be 3500lbs.

I'd love to see an increased 'payload' package avaliable also, or some kind of 'severe duty' upgrade similar to the J8 program. I suspect that the .gov and accountants would never let that happen, so we will just have to cover that in the aftermarket. I was surprised to see that the Dana Spicer aftermarket Advantec Dana 44 front housing doesn't have a larger axle tubes with the elimination of the FAD system, but only a thicker wall with the standard diameter tube. They do claim a 1/2" increase in in diff clearance from stock with their own 'improved' version of the diff housing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz