2020 Fuso Vs. 2021 NPR

awheeler

Looking the pull the trigger on an Earthcruiser CORE rig. The chassis options right now are the 2020 Fuso or the 2021 NPR, both gas models.

Looking for any insight or opinions on which way to go. I realize that Mitsubishi is leaving North America which is weighing pretty heavy in favor of Isuzu. Here are a few additional differences I've found.

The NPR has a new 6.6 cylinder engine that puts out 425 torque and 350 HP compared to the FUSO at 360 torque and 300 HP. The FUSO comes with the Allison 1000 transmission and I couldn't find much info on the NPR tranny.

The plan for the rig is a 14 foot Total Composites box.

Thanks for the help everyone,

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
What is the difference in price between the 2020 Fuso and 2021 NPR? I think you would be happy with either one, but the Fuso is a year older and an orphan brand so the pricing might make it a deal?

All things being equal I would lean towards the Isuzu for availability of dealer service and eventual resale.

awheeler

What is the difference in price between the 2020 Fuso and 2021 NPR? I think you would be happy with either one, but the Fuso is a year older and an orphan brand so the pricing might make it a deal?

All things being equal I would lean towards the Isuzu for availability of dealer service and eventual resale.
Same price unfortunately. They all like the FUSO because that is what they are most familiar working with. They've definitely built a handful of the Isuzu's but it is a new chassis for them.

awheeler

Are they offering the CORE vehicles with the 6.6? If so, that's interesting.
They sure are. Having that little bit of extra power could be nice. But I do also really like the Allison transmission that comes on the FUSO. I haven't been able to find much on the Isuzu transmission. Waiting to hear back from the dealer.

jeep364

The 6.6, though new for GM, is a great engine and the 6L90 is about as robust and reliable as you can get. A 10 speed (ala Ford-GM joint venture) would really make it shine.

carterd

The Isuzu can be serviced by both Chevy and Isuzu dealerships for decades to come with a long term spare parts pipeline. The Fuso...not so much. The 6.6 is a more modern engine design and the GM transmission is solid. I can't see any advantage to the Fuso.

carterd

I got a quote (no negotiation) for the base model Isuzu NPR-HD (Class 4) at $49,700 with $1,325 destination charges. Most of the options were reasonably priced except the 7” touchscreen stereo with backup camera at $1,464. MobileEye was $1,132.

The bulk of the expense for the CORE vehicle is the new front and rear axles, transfer case, drivelines, 37” wheels/tires, custom leaf springs, shocks, and associated fabrication. Add to that all the miscellaneous components to make it a fully integrated solution, R&D, marketing, overhead, and profit – it adds up quickly. There is a lot of waste in the process compared to a factory 4x4. Shipping a 4x2 halfway across the country, removing the entire driveline and suspension, and then rebuilding it again with new parts. It is a big premium to pay relative to a Big 3 loaded 4x4 with many more options, but it is a premium that may be worth it to eliminate about 4 feet of hood length.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles