2020 Ford Transit AWD

frorider

I, and others, have posted a lot of info on Transit drivetrain options on the usafordtransit forum. Yes the rear diff is a standard Ford Stirling. Rather than a clutch pack Ford LSD, most would agree the geared TrueTrac LSD is a better choice...I have one F and R in my Quadvan 4x4. Rear was $1100 installed i think at a local 4WD shop. I toyed with the idea of an ARB locker but IMO that only makes sense if you’re doing a 4” lift, low roof van build with >32” tires.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Yes the rear diff is a standard Ford Stirling. Rather than a clutch pack Ford LSD, most would agree the geared TrueTrac LSD is a better choice...I have one F and R in my Quadvan 4x4.

I misunderstood something. Is TrueTrac what in F150's rear diff or it's something else?

jkam

nomadic man
The latest Winnebago Ekko.
Built on the Ford Transit AWD .

86scotty

Cynic
Pretty cool but a bit strange to me to have the body a different color than the cab. This makes a high dollar new MH look like a thrown together home build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
The latest Winnebago Ekko.
Built on the Ford Transit AWD .

Don't get too excited... Just another RV mounted on an AWD drive chassis. Dual tires... low ground clearance and typical RV build quality.

Jonnyo

Observer
Pretty cool but a bit strange to me to have the body a different color than the cab. This makes a high dollar new MH look like a thrown together home build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think there is a very interesting element. Dual tire is a non issue for most people that will end up on the Transit platform. I drove both single and dually transit and i prefer the dually. if anything...i make for a even more stable vehicle as a RV. Yours would do very well as a dually for the kind of use ''i think'' you do. The ground clearance is a easy fix once you put 3'' tall tire and the lift kid like most of us do. But i agree....the build quality most likely wont be very good.

boxster1971

They probably leave the box white due to risks of darker colors causing the delamination of the foam core panels. This quote from Total Composites is telling:

“But we do not recommend changing the white color to anything darker. There would be an increased risk of delamination due to higher surface temperatures. These higher temperatures could soften the panel adhesive and possibly cause the separation of foam core and FRP skin.”

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Best example of surface temperature change at 10am , in Arizona in may. We vinyl wrapped the rear wall of our last truck in that colour and did not have any issues. But this doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t! Best to keep the colour very light.
5ECF2B67-2E07-4CD6-9193-DD20C4000FA4.jpeg8CDEDA44-BF05-43E6-A7F0-01262722F72E.jpeg

86scotty

Cynic
I would love to see the test done with some of these modern overlandy truck colors like desert tan or really light gray. So much better than a white box. Having owned 6 or 8 white boxes I'm just not sure I can live with it again. But, one good thing about a Total composites type box is that it would be very easy to keep the top white without anyone seeing it, given that it's not covered with solar panels, which mine would be.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Has anyone figured out what would be the lowest diff gears you could put in in order compensate for a low gear (4L)?
The factory one is 4.10, but this only works with the 3.5L vans. I wonder if you could put 4.30 or even lower one?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Has anyone figured out what would be the lowest diff gears you could put in in order compensate for a low gear (4L)?
The factory one is 4.10, but this only works with the 3.5L vans. I wonder if you could put 4.30 or even lower one?

Only two gear ratios available for the front differential, 3.73 and 4.10. Aside from that, the CAD model indicates that the ring gear and pinion are dimensionally unlike any other Ford differential I've seen. Pretty oddball size. I have a front diff sitting on the bench here and I'm debating on whether I should pull it part to learn more about it...I'm curious because I don't see any ring gear bolts in the model. Maybe it's a welded ring gear like the Sprinter???...not sure yet. My guess is that ZERO aftermarket gear companies would offer different ratios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles