2020 Ford Transit AWD

Joey G

I priced one not long ago, and the cutaway with a custom box looked like the way to go; similar to what Victorian did. Saves ~$10k on van, and you can get a longer wheelbase too.

I'd love to go this route, but at least in my state (Tennessee) one can't register and operate an Incomplete vehicle such as a cutaway until it's been "completed" by a final-stage manufacturer.

rruff

Explorer
I'd love to go this route, but at least in my state (Tennessee) one can't register and operate an Incomplete vehicle such as a cutaway until it's been "completed" by a final-stage manufacturer.
If you wanted to drive the van before you get the box, you could order a cab-chassis instead.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Ran across this, Kapoor red, 130wb, AWD, ecoboost, leather, Buy it here before I do
They sprung for leather but did a complete radio delete? Man, people are weird. I don't think it would cost anything extra to just get the basic sound system and then at least there are speakers in the holes. With a delete I'm sure there is nothing.....but more work.
It has vinyl seats.
It is vinyl, dealer ad said leather, http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=1FTYE2CG5LKA64519
Ditching the radio isn't that odd, just install the aftermarket system of choice....much better than factory usually.

86scotty

Cynic
I wonder if they prewire to speaker locations at least these days? On our old work Econolines there was nothing.

Having had tons of vans over the years that I converted I could care less about sound quality because you aren’t going to get it anyway. Stock speakers and basic head unit are fine with me because they rarely get used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey G

If you wanted to drive the van before you get the box, you could order a cab-chassis instead.
A cab-chassis is an incomplete vehicle too.

I'm not concerned with driving the vehicle before it gets the box. The problem is, even after the box is added and the build is finished, I don't have paperwork from a final-stage manufacturer proving the vehicle is "completed" so that I can register it. Perhaps there's some obvious solution to this I'm missing, such as the ability for a DIYer to complete the paperwork? Dunno.

I'm curious how anyone in TN (or other state with similar rules) has addressed this issue. I'll start another thread to prevent hijacking this one.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Joey, I'm in Blount County TN and have never heard of this but I haven't ever built an incomplete personally. Usually around here it's whatever you want to do. You can add a light and tag dirt bikes, no inspection on anything, no emissions, no tax on registering used stuff if you're creative. These are all the reasons I love living here and have owned well over 150 vehicles. I'm curious to hear what you learn.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
A cab-chassis is an incomplete vehicle too.

I'm not concerned with driving the vehicle before it gets the box. The problem is, even after the box is added and the build is finished, I don't have paperwork from a final-stage manufacturer proving the vehicle is "completed" so that I can register it. Perhaps there's some obvious solution to this I'm missing, such as the ability for a DIYer to complete the paperwork? Dunno.

I'm curious how anyone in TN (or other state with similar rules) has addressed this issue. I'll start another thread to prevent hijacking this one.

We have several customers that are going through this right now. If you are not a certified manufacturer, you can order the cab chassis with a very basic (cheap) flatbed, register it, remove the bed (sell it!) and then do your camper body. Getting in registered as a camper afterwards should be easy.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
T town
In the cargo van you can get just two rear windows or those plus a slider Or windows all around just like a passenger van. You’d have to order a new one that way as I’m sure they are rare.
Yes they are very rear. The most of the contractors / fleet here in the NE want fully enclosed vans. You may come across ones with rear windows but it's may not have defrosters, which you need in NE and many other places too.
Anyway cargo Transits right off the dealer's parking lot are usually poorly equipped. IMHO

Christian P.
Good info about the Crew Van.
Yes the crew van surprised me and I felt you are not paying for a metal cell. If don't need the 2nd row seats removing them is like 5 minutes.
In my case It will probably be my dog's seat.

There are tons of AWD for sale across the USA if you are not looking for specific options. But yes if you want (which we all do...) dual batteries, swivel seats, eco-boost, dual alternator, tow package, not white, etc - then it is impossible to find. You need to special order it and it may take months and months.

At this moment I don't quite need swivel seats but the rest you mention I would like to have, even just the idea of having them under warranty makes me feel better.
The LSD in my opinion is crucial in Transit vans due to the absence of the proper 4DW system such as 4L, 4H or the central lock.
I am planning to drive my van on the forest roads of Main and the BLM roads of the west, so an LSD in my case is very important. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a van with an LSD.

The salesman told me it would take 6-8 week, sometimes 10 weeks to get an order delivered. I didn't ask how accurate he was so I can't be sure.

Also I am very curies to know what this new RV package brings on the table. It says an HD front suspension, I wonder what it is. I can't find that option in the virtual build option.

Next week I am going to check out a Nissan NV. I like it's HD dna with a bit wired look. I'll report it back here.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Christian P.

Yes the crew van surprised me and I felt you are not paying for a metal cell. If don't need the 2nd row seats removing them is like 5 minutes.
In my case It will probably be my dog's seat.

At this moment I don't quite need swivel seats but the rest you mention I would like to have, even just the idea of having them under warranty makes me feel better.
The LSD in my opinion is crucial in Transit vans due to the absence of the proper 4DW system such as 4L, 4H or the central lock.
I am planning to drive my van on the forest roads of Main and the BLM roads of the west, so an LSD in my case is very important. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a van with an LSD.

The salesman told me it would take 6-8 week, sometimes 10 weeks to get an order delivered. I didn't ask how accurate he was so I can't be sure.

Also I am very curies to know what this new RV package brings on the table. It says an HD front suspension, I wonder what it is. I can't find that option in the virtual build option.

Next week I am going to check out a Nissan NV. I like it's HD dna with a bit wired look. I'll report it back here.

About the swivel seats - don't forget also that there is something about the push down parking brake. The van we tried did not have swivel seats and it seems like the parking brake would be in the way on the driver side if you install one. I think there is an option for that, and I think it may be part of this new 2021 RV/Adventure package.

Also, is LSD an additional option on the top of the AWD? If so, I am with you, I need that too...

:)

skirunman

About the swivel seats - don't forget also that there is something about the push down parking brake. The van we tried did not have swivel seats and it seems like the parking brake would be in the way on the driver side if you install one. I think there is an option for that, and I think it may be part of this new 2021 RV/Adventure package.

Also, is LSD an additional option on the top of the AWD? If so, I am with you, I need that too...

I think you can only order a Transit Van 2021 model year now and they all come with push button electronic parking brake as standard equipment. Definitely get LSD with AWD.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Christian P.

I just checked the Ford build application on their website and they mention "Heavy Duty Front Axle" included. Looks like it's already available. I

1603150038747.png

Reading this press release, it looks like most of these options are already available. Ford Marketing just decided to package them together in their "Prep Pack".

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Thanks for the image. I have not noticed that up until now. And yes, the LSD is an option and you can pick it when choosing your diff ratio. The most of the people don’t know what it is so the dealers don’t bather much with it so you ether ask specifically about it to the dealer and he looks it up in vin code or when you order make sure you option that.
I wonder if you could install a rear locker form the f150? You know, find a totaled f150 in junk yard and grab the rear axel.

86scotty

Cynic

Having had many vans and camper vans I can tell you that the driver's side swivel in a van is just about worthless. It has more disadvantages than advantages, especially in a Transit. First and foremost, in all vans, it changes the height. This is a big one for me. I'm picky about vision, mirrors, seating ergonomics. Also, I've never had one that was absolutely rigid. They eventually wear and give a little this way and that with a lot of use and you get that not nice and new feeling in the seat of your pants, literally. I can't stand a weebly wobbly seat and especially not in a new, tight vehicle.

Second, newer vehicles have thicker door panels and (B) pillars. This makes a swivel harder to spin. Add the senseless floor mounted parking brake the Transits (up to now, looks like) and it's a workout routine to spin the seat. First, tilt steering wheel all the way up (doesn't move much at all in a Transit), then open driver's door (for me it's going to be raining) and fiddle with the position of the seat (back and bottom) until you get that absolute sweet spot which is only 45 degrees from where you started and then enjoy trying to close the driver's door. Hint, it won't want to close. You'll have to slam it and then walk around to another door for entry. For all of this trouble you pay several hundred dollars nowadays and then you never use it because vans have gotten big enough and floor plans creative enough where fooling with that seat just isn't worth it.

Now as for the passenger swivel, absolutely, every time, order it the day you buy the van. A passenger swivel in any van takes it from zero to hero. I had the Scopema in my Transit and it was a well built piece. Shame they are charging 4 times as much for it now. I gave $200 for mine plus shipping.

Last edited:

T town

I haven't run the VIN but I did own a Transit with vinyl and I've been around a bunch of others. That looks much nicer than vinyl. Ford has upped their game or those are leather. Unless this is yours. I'm curious how you are so sure?
The ad had a long description.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles