2020 Ford Transit AWD

Grassland

What about the zillions of F-150 with larger tires out there? Do they reprogram their system?
Most guys do. It's easy with any aftermarket tuners. That's how I corrected for my F150. Without the adjustment the truck is a dog and shifts at weird points.
I'm not talking about one profile size difference, you are going 1+ inches larger to get a decent all terrain tire in there compared to the looney stock size.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
What about the zillions of F-150 with larger tires out there? Do they reprogram their system?

You can change tire size on the Transit with Forscan pretty easily. The problem is that there is a limit to how how large a tire (circumference) you can choose in the software. I had 265/70-17 tires on my last Transit and my speedo was less than 10% off against GPS speed using the largest option available in the software.

There's a lot you can do with Forscan but as of the last release I've used, you can't just enter in any tire size you want. There are multiple threads about this on the Transit forum.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites

@Scott Brady test drove an awd Transit. I am not sure if there is a longer version of this video, but he makes some good points here (Ford's atmospheric 3.5 engine for example).

I read a lot about the eco boost engine before ordering ours. I think they are a hit and miss when it comes to reliability. I agree with Scott, keep it simple! Our naturally aspirated Transit has plenty of power.

dankine

Hi! Looking for feedback. Anybody here driving the VanCompass lift kit on their 2020 AWD Transit ?
I'm sure with the combo Fox and Bilstein shocks it does improve the ride. Any feedback on installation, alignment, CV shaft angle etc ?

Desert Dan

Explorer
2021 Ford Transit Embraces the #VanLife With New RV Prep Pack

The Adventure Prep package bundles popular camper van options such as all-wheel drive, the twin-turbo 3.5-liter "EcoBoost" V-6, a heavy-duty front axle, limited-slip rear differential, and privacy glass. Also included are items such as dual USB ports, adaptive cruise control, and reverse sensors.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
@Victorian
I agree with Scott, keep it simple! Our naturally aspirated Transit has plenty of power.

I am very curious about this engine too. Everyone is talking about the ecoboost and how powerful it is, but the 3.5 engine is left out from the conversation.
Did you test drive the both engines prior to buying one? How does the 3.5 pfdi feel, especially when you over the high passes?

Victorian

@Victorian

I am very curious about this engine too. Everyone is talking about the ecoboost and how powerful it is, but the 3.5 engine is left out from the conversation.
Did you test drive the both engines prior to buying one? How does the 3.5 pfdi feel, especially when you over the high passes?
I had no real choice when buying ours. They had to bring it in from across Canada. My focus was the, cut away, wheelbase and single rear wheels. Anything else was crap shoot. For driving power, it has the same acceleration as our Subaru Outback. Fuel economy with the house on the back is ~16l/100km . If needed we can flow in traffic at 120km/h (65miles /h) with ease. In any case, I honestly don't see the need for the ecoboost.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We are planning to go test drive one tomorrow with the 3.5 non-turbo. If they have an Eco-Boost, we'll give it a try too.
However this is in Connecticut, so I don't expect big climbs...

Victorian

We are planning to go test drive one tomorrow with the 3.5 non-turbo. If they have an Eco-Boost, we'll give it a try too.
However this is in Connecticut, so I don't expect big climbs...
I'm sure the eco boost will feel amazing when you compare both side by side.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well I just got quotes for the insurance from Geico and Progressive for a new Transit T-250 AWD - about $160/month (~$1800/yr). A bit more than I expected.

I suspect it may go down once it is converted and registered as an RV.

Last edited:

dankine

I live in a small ski town in the Eastern Town Ship of Québec.
We do have hills and climbs, noting like highway 70 in Colorado but enough to give the 3.5 a good test.
I'm really happy with the 3.5 It's not a power house by any means but the 10 speeds transmission makes it fast enough for our needs.
I love our AWD Transit we made the right choice, we're still at making the mocke-ups and testing the layout. I bought the 2'' lift kit from VC last July, I haven't installed it yet.
However, I've read a post this past week that makes me question my choice of buying the Bilstein B6.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
@Christian P. Please let us know what’s your experience with the van and the dealer if your don’t mind. I am moving to CT next month and would love to know about the dealers in the area.

@dankine have you had a chance to drive your van on forest roads in Quebec? That’s the places I am planning to visit for bird hunting trips. I was wondering if an awd could handle it... (some overseas ford van owners say it can but their vans have a different awd system)

TGK

I live in a small ski town in the Eastern Town Ship of Québec.
We do have hills and climbs, noting like highway 70 in Colorado but enough to give the 3.5 a good test.
I'm really happy with the 3.5 It's not a power house by any means but the 10 speeds transmission makes it fast enough for our needs.
I love our AWD Transit we made the right choice, we're still at making the mocke-ups and testing the layout. I bought the 2'' lift kit from VC last July, I haven't installed it yet.
However, I've read a post this past week that makes me question my choice of buying the Bilstein B6.
Regarding the Ford 3.5L Ecoboost Engine with 10spd Transmission, while I have it in a 2017 4x4 F150, I've been extremely impressed with it so far and very happy. Gobs of power and blows away the towing ability of the 99 F250 5.4L V8 that I had for years. ( tow a vintage Airstream with a gross wt rating of 5,200 lbs, often below that though) MPG much better as well. Admittedly, that '99 V8 was old school vs today's versions. I am considering purchase of an AWD Transit with 3.5L/10spd combo but am curious whether anyone has any towing experience with one. My F150 is rated to tow 10,500 lbs with a Max Tow Haul Pkg but the new AWD Transits are only rated at +/-6,500 depending on the exact configuration one chooses. The commercial Ford Dealer Sales guy said the main reason for that is due to the Transit being a "unibody" configuration vs "body on frame" for the truck. Having said that, taking towing out of the equation, the payload rating of the Transit is higher than for my truck. Anyway, if anyone has any input on towing with one of the AWD Transits, would love to hear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles