2020 Ford Transit AWD

jkam

nomadic man
First AWD motorhome I've seen. This one from Leisure Vans.
Not bad for an RV. Price from $130,000.
Even has a dry bath, nice for a small size.
https://newatlas.com/automotive/ltv-wonder-rear-lounge-motorhome/

Len.Barron

Observer
I was all set to upgrade to a 2020 AWD till I found out they have HALF the towing capacity of the E-series. I was pretty bummed TBH
none of the modern vans are designed to tow (heavy), so, you either stick with the old stuff or get something else as a tow pig. My jeep is 5700lbs, so even with a lightweight aluminum trailer after I'm loaded up with tools/spares I'm at 8000lbs and have to climb the Cajon Pass or Grapevine to get anywhere..

none of the modern vans are designed to tow (heavy), so, you either stick with the old stuff or get something else as a tow pig. My jeep is 5700lbs, so even with a lightweight aluminum trailer after I'm loaded up with tools/spares I'm at 8000lbs and have to climb the Cajon Pass or Grapevine to get anywhere..

Nissan NV has a great towing capacity but small interior space compared to a transit.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We'll have a lift open to test the shafts sometime next week.

Changing my Transit plans! Still no ETA on my blue pass van, Ford said today they may not build any more AWD Transits all year. That came from the dealer, don't know how true it is, probably has to do with the t-case factory closure. I've also had supplier issues with the truck t-cases from Ford.

So, I cancelled my order. I'll keep the cargo that I already have, we're installing a Wilderness Vans interior as soon as it arrives and will make it a full blown camper van. Excited to have it done before I take vacation with the kids in late July. Now I need a DD! ;)

We'll have a lift open to test the shafts sometime next week.

Changing my Transit plans! Still no ETA on my blue pass van, Ford said today they may not build any more AWD Transits all year. That came from the dealer, don't know how true it is, probably has to do with the t-case factory closure. I've also had supplier issues with the truck t-cases from Ford.

So, I cancelled my order. I'll keep the cargo that I already have, we're installing a Wilderness Vans interior as soon as it arrives and will make it a full blown camper van. Excited to have it done before I take vacation with the kids in late July. Now I need a DD! ;)
You new you would mis V7

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I group the NV in with the other dinosaurs...and it's butt ugly.

Especially the high roof ones. Ugh!
And in addition, they are way, way too thirsty too.

The one positive thing that I can think to say about these is, having a longer front end like a regular truck they may offer a slightly higher survival rate in crashes for front seat occupants?

Especially the high roof ones. Ugh!
And in addition, they are way, way too thirsty too.

The one positive thing that I can think to say about these is, having a longer front end like a regular truck they may offer a slightly higher survival rate in crashes for front seat occupants?
Yeah totally agree with its looks. You have to lift them and add huge bumpers for them to be decent.
The reason to go with one is for the towing capacity and durability. I know of a few people that were sad to sell their transit because they liked them so much but needed to tow a travel trailer, airstream etc etc so they purchased an NV.
Also I average 15-16mpg with 33" K02s with a high roof v8 and have almost 9" of ground clearance. As far as I can tell when looking on the transitforums, a transit with 30/31s and solar, fan and camper conversion gets the same or 1mpg better.

Also I'm looking to own a transit in future, so yes I'm a fan of them both but wanted to mention the 9700# towing capacity.

Len.Barron

Observer
Yeah totally agree with its looks. You have to lift them and add huge bumpers for them to be decent.
The reason to go with one is for the towing capacity and durability. I know of a few people that were sad to sell their transit because they liked them so much but needed to tow a travel trailer, airstream etc etc so they purchased an NV.
Also I average 15-16mpg with 33" K02s with a high roof v8 and have almost 9" of ground clearance. As far as I can tell when looking on the transitforums, a transit with 30/31s and solar, fan and camper conversion gets the same or 1mpg better.

Also I'm looking to own a transit in future, so yes I'm a fan of them both but wanted to mention the 9700# towing capacity.
if they would put the 5.0 cummins in the NV I could probably overlook the ugly...but while the nissan v8 makes good power...they are terrible on mpgs.

Len.Barron

Observer
if they would put the 5.0 cummins in the NV I could probably overlook the ugly...but while the nissan v8 makes good power...they are terrible on mpgs. I really like the transit...but...until it can be built out in back and comfortably tow 7500lbs I'll like it from a distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles