2020 Ford Transit AWD

Van Compass

Observer
What size and brand of tires are you running on your van from the Youtube video still frame for the 2” lift?

Any trimming necessary? Rubbing?

This van has 285/75/16 tires. It take a lot of trimming to fit and they rubbed the chassis at full steering lock. 265/75/16 is about the max most people will want to do.

theron

This van has 285/75/16 tires. It take a lot of trimming to fit and they rubbed the chassis at full steering lock. 265/75/16 is about the max most people will want to do.

Ah, ok, I just realized that isn’t a AWD van in the still frame but y'all used it the video for the AWD lift?

Are 285/75 and 265/75 tire sizes y’all have tested with this new 2” AWD lift?

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I think this is a great, safe approach to an entry level kit.
My concerns have been CV angles...
I applaud @Van Compass for sharing the thorough explanations, pics of the angles and taking on the custom made springs.
Exciting!

theron

I think this is a great, safe approach to an entry level kit.
My concerns have been CV angles...
I applaud @Van Compass for sharing the thorough explanations, pics of the angles and taking on the custom made springs.
Exciting!

I agree!

Through the grapevine I heard the UJoint lift kit will be 3” lift and not loose any down travel.

Glad to have all these options and the Transit to get aftermarket love like the Sprinter so comprehensively has

Van Compass

Observer
This is fantastic!!! I love that we’re going to have some rad lift options. You mentioned a rear locker. That’s something I’ve been curious about. Do you think it would play nice with the AWD system?

You can turn off the traction control and use the rear locker when momentum or wheel spin is needed to get though a tricky situation. A 9.75 locker for a F150 will work in these vans.

theron

You can turn off the traction control and use the rear locker when momentum or wheel spin is needed to get though a tricky situation. A 9.75 locker for a F150 will work in these vans.

This reads a bit confusing and I want to clarify....

Y’all have first hand experience putting an F150 locker in 2020 Transit and then testing the AWD system?

Could you go into a bit more detail on how the AWD system behaves with it locked & unlocked?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
This VanCompass solution looks well designed and engineered--by real engineers! Simple and straightforward install. I'm not seeing any CV binding in the video, unsure what some of you are, maybe you can point out a time stamp.

If the 2" VC lift can fit a ~32" tire, I'm not understanding the sizable ROI for custom CV's and a taller 4" lift, only to be able to fit a 1" taller(and heavier) 33" tire. My T130 MR is already squirrly to pilot in west coast winds at currently stock height, can't imagine how it'd do 4" taller/tippier. And OEM's spend a lot of $$$$$ on the design/engineering of axles, and from experience, many aftermarket axles come with their own plaguing issues. What happens when that custom CV has an issue or fails on a trip? How long will it take to get another shipped out to your location? Versus having it towed to the nearest Ford dealer and probably get back on the road the same day.

All in all, $1k + install for the 2" kit/OEM CV's/32s, vs $5k installed for the 4" kit/custom CV's/33s? While I like the "look" of 1" bigger tires, I personally don't see the value due to the extra costs of both ~$4k and increased complexity. YMMV

theron

This VanCompass solution looks well designed and engineered--by real engineers! Simple and straightforward install. I'm not seeing any CV binding in the video, unsure what some of you are, maybe you can point out a time stamp.

Might be quicker for you to first point out when anyone has said it was binding?

_____

I’m looking forward to hearing about the VanCompass kit works out for folks in practice AND equally excited for the UJoint kit too.

If UJoint can deliver on not loosing down travel that will be rad

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Might be quicker for you to first point out when anyone has said it was binding?

_____

I’m looking forward to hearing about the VanCompass kit works out for folks in practice AND equally excited for the UJoint kit too.

If UJoint can deliver on not loosing down travel that will be rad

Forgive me, I should have used exact language;
...you can see in the video it looks like an extreme end of its angle
...that bad CV angle could extrapolate issues is what I was after.

VanCompass has at least one experienced engineer designing these components first-hand (not all companies can claim that), so if VC was seeing "bad CV angles" they would address it. No "bad CV angles" mentioned in the video or posts from VC at this ~2" lift height, and simply no reason for them to engineer aftermarket upgrades which cause premature failure of factory components; one of the many tests for talented engineers.

T town

To see a guy get out of a good mud rut with AWD fast forward to 5 min. It’s some sort of SEMA build with Maximum Ladder.
What do you think? Could a 2WD Transit get out of that without getting someone muddy?

T town

He’s 20 yrs old, lives with his mom and got sponsors for the build. He’s some sort of racer so probably has more connections that way too. I think at SEMA the van had tracks on it but they were just for show really.

Sixinarow

Adventurer
I've been looking at 4x4 Sprinters but would like to check out a new Transit. Are AWD Transits supposed to hit dealer lots any time soon? I'd like to look at one in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles