2020 Ford Transit AWD

Van Compass

Observer
Our 2wd, high roof ecoboost on 285/75/16 tires and 2.5" lift got about 13mpg. Light weight interior build. 13-15 ppg is very average for the "drinkoboost"

The funny part is I can still get 10-13 with a one ton axle swap, 35s and about 8" of lift. :p
DD125BD7-F7DA-4F04-A105-6C3BD3120861 (Large).jpg

Van Compass

Observer
We just added a new front skid plate to our line up that will work great on the AWD and 2wd. It features an oil filter access plate to make oil changes just as easy as before.
IMG_7800 (Large).JPGIMG_7814 (Large).JPG
IMG_7803 (Large).JPGTransit Full skid on white  (Large).png

We are have a bumper that will work with this skid plate, parking sensors and the collision senor drawn up to build for the 2013-current van as well. It has d-ring tow points built in to the lower mounts and the upper pocket in the sheetmetal mount will include an integrated 20" light bar.

IMG_6731 (1).jpg

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Very nice skidplate and bull bar. Looks a lot more pleasing than some of the others. What’s the pricing and availability?

Van Compass

Observer
Very nice skidplate and bull bar. Looks a lot more pleasing than some of the others. What’s the pricing and availability?

The skid plate runs $600, I have 1 left in stock and one that has been installed for pictures we could give you a small discount on since the powder coating is not perfect. More in production and available mid March.

I don't have a price on the bull bar yet. We need to build one to do a material and labor study before we can set a price.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Basically the ford transit factory awd is useless. This is the impression one might get.
Unlike the sprinter that does not need the whole suspension lift.
So disappointing, I was so hopeful of ford’s affordability and availability + awd capability... but It seems in order to have a somewhat capable awd run ones needs to lift and modify it with aftermarket solutions.

yoggie

Basically the ford transit factory awd is useless. This is the impression one might get.
So disappointing, I was so hopeful of ford’s affordability and availability + awd capability... but It seems in order to have a somewhat capable awd run ones needs to lift and modify it with aftermarket solutions.

The customers said we want something for slick roads. We were thinking of blasting through blizzards on the way to a ski resort or cruising down forest roads out West. What we (at least the members of this forum) wanted was a modern E-Series 4x4 conversion from the factory that we could just slip some 33 inch tires under (35s with a small, easy to install lift) and call it a day.

Ford knows most of these will be purchased by someone just trying to deliver paint on a cold day in Iowa. The AWD system meets this design specs perfectly. The AWD system was designed to keep the MPG and driving characteristics as close to the normal van as possible while offering some slick road / light snow capability.

This is a perfect example of a company delivering a product that exactly meets the needs of 75% of their customer base, but a product with little to no ability to flex to meet the needs/desires of the other 25%.

Its not that Ford or Mercedes is wrong with their approaches, its just that each company identified and evaluated their customer needs and came to slightly different conclusions on what would be the most profitable. It is also possible that Ford evaluated Mercedes' offering and decided it was better to go after a slightly different market segment rather than directly competing. Let Mercedes go for the off-road market while Ford goes after better on-road and better MPG market.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
The customers said we want something for slick roads. We were thinking of blasting through blizzards on the way to a ski resort or cruising down forest roads out West. What we (at least the members of this forum) wanted was a modern E-Series 4x4 conversion from the factory that we could just slip some 33 inch tires under (35s with a small, easy to install lift) and call it a day.

Ford knows most of these will be purchased by someone just trying to deliver paint on a cold day in Iowa. The AWD system meets this design specs perfectly. The AWD system was designed to keep the MPG and driving characteristics as close to the normal van as possible while offering some slick road / light snow capability.

This is a perfect example of a company delivering a product that exactly meets the needs of 75% of their customer base, but a product with little to no ability to flex to meet the needs/desires of the other 25%.

Its not that Ford or Mercedes is wrong with their approaches, its just that each company identified and evaluated their customer needs and came to slightly different conclusions on what would be the most profitable. It is also possible that Ford evaluated Mercedes' offering and decided it was better to go after a slightly different market segment rather than directly competing. Let Mercedes go for the off-road market while Ford goes after better on-road and better MPG market.

I don’t disagree with what you have said. I fact many of your points make sense.
I just want to be able to have a van with which I can drive on BLM roads on public lands and stay overnight to hike or hunt sharptails or chukars... and all of that without getting bogged down in in a dirt. I care less about hardcore off-roading in a van.

if I can drive the transit on the roads like the ones in these pictures (which I randomly found in google) I’ll be pretty happy. Btw, these are BLM roads.

Attachments

• 8254BD6B-92C7-41A2-9117-D90CB494888C.jpeg
    8254BD6B-92C7-41A2-9117-D90CB494888C.jpeg
    942.1 KB · Views: 76
  • C6171BFA-72C8-44CA-9322-B4B60465834B.jpeg
    C6171BFA-72C8-44CA-9322-B4B60465834B.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 6256856D-3BD2-4C03-860A-EFC394E61167.jpeg
    6256856D-3BD2-4C03-860A-EFC394E61167.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 71

Farfrumwork

^^I guess it's an interior space thing (Sprinter/Transit vs. E350 converts/awd GMC's).

I know that is why I have the van I do. Among a few other reasons.

The AWD transit will fit the needs of many, and I'm happy they are putting out an offering.

sg1

Adventurer
I don’t disagree with what you have said. I fact many of your points make sense.
I just want to be able to have a van with which I can drive on BLM roads on public lands and stay overnight to hike or hunt sharptails or chukars... and all of that without getting bogged down in in a dirt. I care less about hardcore off-roading in a van.

if I can drive the transit on the roads like the ones in these pictures (which I randomly found in google) I’ll be pretty happy. Btw, these are BLM roads.
I have had an European Transit AWD without lift and 225/75R16 At tires for almost 10 years. With this I've done almost 100,000 miles in África and the entire Panamericana. Believe me I have driven tracks which were a lot worse than the ones on your pictures. You will be fine. Because of the small tires you just need good skidplates.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

We're lucky to have gotten AWD in the 1st place and Ford decided (probably through market research) that the load in height was very important. We (overlanders, offroad enthusiasts) don't matter to them. How many will we buy? Nothing compared to their fleet sales, those are the guys Ford caters to.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
... but It seems in order to have a somewhat capable awd run ones needs to lift and modify it with aftermarket solutions.
Lift and tires are the most common modifications made regardless of the vehicle marque, maybe you haven't spent much time on this website? The whole site is about "aftermarket solutions".

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
A common issue with long wheelbase vehicle is approach and departure angles, the transit is fairly low, so even modest sized rocks, which are common on forest service roads, and even some improved roads, can pose damage issues. Being able to get to 7" of absolute ground clearance is a big deal.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We're lucky to have gotten AWD in the 1st place and Ford decided (probably through market research) that the load in height was very important. We (overlanders, offroad enthusiasts) don't matter to them. How many will we buy? Nothing compared to their fleet sales, those are the guys Ford caters to.

Any update on the lift kit by any chance? I am curious to see what you will come up with.

The skid plate runs $600, I have 1 left in stock and one that has been installed for pictures we could give you a small discount on since the powder coating is not perfect. More in production and available mid March.

I don't have a price on the bull bar yet. We need to build one to do a material and labor study before we can set a price.

hello can you ship you parts to Europe ( switzerland )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles