2020 Ford Transit AWD

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Unless you are driving 100k miles, its probably not a big deal, especially if you keep the idling to a minimum. Even when the carbon buildup gets bad, it typically causes power reduction, but its not likely to kill the engine.

Besides, at high altitudes in south america, a turbo would be very much appreciated.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Lets not start an oil debate thread. But if you have details on "crappy" oil, like lab testing, etc. Please post up. All the testing I have seen indicates that its truly a challenge to find a bad common oil. There are superior ones, but few are bad. A good HD diesel synthetic is the best option to prevent soot buildup in the intake tracts, as the high detergent levels are good at suspending soot.

I have not seen any detailed testing which shows that catch cans reduce intake sooting. Typically they will only grab a small amount of oil from the PCV system. On turbocharged engines the spools seal will always leak some oil into the intake. No way to stop that.

Sorry to stray OT there. As you might use, Blackstone is recommended for oil testing.
Re: crappy oil and bad common oil, etc; There's very good oil w/ HTHS, more anti-wear additives&detergents, and there's not so good oil. Use the very good stuff(Using Total/Elf here). Some of the big names (Castr*l, ahem, Mo*il!) have changed their "synthetic" formulas to become not as good anymore, although of course they haven't marketed such changes.

Thanks for your info on catch cans, good to hear.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
So what's your saying is that for an extended trip in Africa and South America, one would probably be better to get a Ford Transit with the standard 3.7 V6...

As you know all too well, less complexity is better (K.I.S.S.). That being said, the 3.5L Ecoboost have been very good engines, and LOTS of fun to drive! 400btq stock in a bread loaf on wheels makes most people giddy. What value do you put on a HUGE smile on your face? ;)

theron

So what's your saying is that for an extended trip in Africa and South America, one would probably be better to get a Ford Transit with the standard 3.7 V6...

IMHO there’s no universal engine for travel. Anytime you have a problem it’s problem solving production time. I’ve been all through Mexico and beyond with a Toyota 2F, Chevy 5.3L, and Ford 7.3

Last edited:

theron

I understand it’s port injection.

You’re right, I was thinking of the 2020 na 3.5 engine option. But even turns out that is port & direct injection

But anyhow, carbon build up really isn’t a reason to take an engine on a journey. It’s a well proven burner

sg1

Adventurer
I have driven the Panamericana and I think the Ecoboost would be the better engine. The additional power and the turbo help a lot at the extreme altitude. Furthermore EB parts are easier to get. The Transits in South America have European diesel engines and manual transmission. But the F 150 with the EB is sold by Ford in practically all countries in Latin America.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The current DI engines across all brands I know of the engineers I’ve talked too said basically they all have catch can type systems now factory and have solved the carbon issues. Basically was told dude thats sooooo yesterday’s news. Buy a 5 yr or older DI something yeah you want to think about that stuff but the current versions nope.

theron

The current DI engines across all brands I know of the engineers I’ve talked too said basically they all have catch can type systems now factory and have solved the carbon issues. Basically was told dude thats sooooo yesterday’s news. Buy a 5 yr or older DI something yeah you want to think about that stuff but the current versions nope.

The Ford 3.5L EB has a factory catch can?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Ford 3.5L EB has a factory catch can?
Three engineers told me the new Di engines Toyota BMW and Ford have breather designs that essentially do what the crude catch can concept did. So will you find crude catch cans strapped to the breathers? No will you find complicated setup designed to more less do the same thing? Yes

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Basically every modern vehicle has a well designed PCV system. Turbocharged engines have more advanced ones, due to higher levels of blowby. These systems include a centrifugal chamber to coalesce oil vapor and mist. Then a series of baffles and a mesh to grab the oil, and allow it to drain back to the crankcase.

Look at the typical oil consumption. Its usually below 1qt per 10,000 miles. Often substantially less. The breather/separator is critical.

theron

Basically every modern vehicle has a well designed PCV system. Turbocharged engines have more advanced ones, due to higher levels of blowby. These systems include a centrifugal chamber to coalesce oil vapor and mist. Then a series of baffles and a mesh to grab the oil, and allow it to drain back to the crankcase.

Look at the typical oil consumption. Its usually below 1qt per 10,000 miles. Often substantially less. The breather/separator is critical.

Would you be able to cite a source / post pictures / Ford diagram images for this? Im
not suggesting y’all are incorrect but always curious for data

My friend runs a shop in Denver, Baker Garage, and they have a fleet account for a group of F150’s with the 3.5L EB and their experience is showing a quart of oil in the catch can at every 7500k oil change with full syn, oil is still slightly golden.

Just curious about this disconnection between the many forum reports on catch can amounts and personal friends stories to yalls take on the factory system

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I don't have much experience with the newer ford ecoboost systems. So take it with a grain of salt. 1qt in a 5k internal is a bit high. its not going to make a huge difference in valve buildup, and if you are using a high detergent oil, it may actually reduce buildup in some cases.

I personally would not use a catch can in cold weather. They can ice up, blowing all kinds of seals.

I can't find a photo, but my memory indicates ford uses a separator built into the valve cover? I welcome some more data from current EB owners.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Would you be able to cite a source / post pictures / Ford diagram images for this? Im
not suggesting y’all are incorrect but always curious for data

My friend runs a shop in Denver, Baker Garage, and they have a fleet account for a group of F150’s with the 3.5L EB and their experience is showing a quart of oil in the catch can at every 5k oil change with full syn

Just curious about this disconnection between many the forum reports on catch can amounts and personal friends stories to yalls take on the factory system
Your assuming your fleet buddy has newer machines post breather issue discoveries and that the full synthetic being used is stable quality synthetic oil lots of garbage synthetic oils out there. Not to mention I highly doubt any fleet vehicle sees correct auto maker breakin use which can be a huge factor in modern ring seating and oil control results. Simply lots of factors that come into play beyond breather design.
Even so older designs even with excessive coking of valves problems are still on the roads with high miles, not that means its ok simply means most first owners don’t need to be concerned with it. The newer systems on current generation engines are no doubt considerably better than older ones. Thats all.

If you want a catch can get one thats what most of the engine guys tell me, they all say the same thing. If it makes you feel better go for it but none of them see anything with the newer engines that suggests its needed. At least that Is what I’ve come across and What others I’ve asked have come across also.

older generation DI yeah probably a good idea per same guys that say mehhh whatever on the newer stuff.

Last edited:

theron

Your assuming your fleet buddy has newer machines post breather issue discoveries and that the full synthetic being used is stable quality synthetic oil lots of garbage synthetic oils out there. Not to mention I highly doubt any fleet vehicle sees correct auto maker breakin use which can be a huge factor in modern ring seating and oil control results.

I’m just asking y’all to show your work

I’m always down to be wrong! But Ive cited my source, you can google them and even visit their shop in person.

Their fleet is 2010-2014 with over 150k each

I wonder if that’s a connection? Maybe the factory pcv system can handle a newer engine, but once they start getting older and have more blow by, that factory system can’t keep up anymore?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles