2020 Ford Transit AWD

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Could you do a custom driveshaft and leave the diff in the stock location? It seems like it would be better for clearance.

If the diff is in the stock location the stock driveshaft also works. Whether stock or dropped the diff is still above the x-member and safe.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
With the strut front ends, lifting by increasing arm angle causes undesirable handling changes. With vans the breakover angle tends to be the most limiting in my experience anyway.

Does the front driveshaft use cv joints at both ends (repezza)? A better approach might be to angle the pinion up enough to use a regular UJ there, and swap to a high angle CV at the tcase? That shaft is devilishly short...

Would it be possible to lower the engine and trans as well? That would eliminate shaft issues, not ideal from every other perspective.

I think the best compromise at this point will be dropping the suspension as we have it now but not the diff. The front driveshaft is a whopping 10" long, some length could be bought via new flanges but we're getting into custom part territory. I'd like to keep that to a minimum. I'd also rather not drop the engine cradle.

theron

How do y’all see Ford’s factory warranty playing out with a lift kit and custom CV’s that UJoint is looking at doing? Would those modifications be blamed on any issues, minor or major, with the suspension & AWD systems?

For instance, in my mind lifting a brand new Tacoma feels less risky because the drivetrain system is so well known and used across thousands of vehicles.

I can easily imagine Ford denying a claim on the AWD, suspension system, and maybe even the frame if they saw (or even knew about) an aftermarket lift and axles being used.

—-

Also would love to hear about if the lift, axles, and bigger tires change AWD performance at all. Worth some side by side testing? I could imagine Ford programming the software to match up and function with those factory spec tire size

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
How do y’all see Ford’s factory warranty playing out with a lift kit and custom CV’s that UJoint is looking at doing? Would those modifications be blamed on any issues, minor or major, with the suspension & AWD systems?

For instance, in my mind lifting a brand new Tacoma feels less risky because the drivetrain system is so well known and used across thousands of vehicles.

I can easily imagine Ford denying a claim on the AWD, suspension system, and maybe even the frame if they saw (or even knew about) an aftermarket lift and axles being used.

—-

Also would love to hear about if the lift, axles, and bigger tires change AWD performance at all. Worth some side by side testing? I could imagine Ford programming the software to match up and function with those factory spec tire size

Time will tell. Im my experience Ford has been good about modified vehicles over the years and it usually comes down to individual dealerships. If you lift a vehicle and then go to Ford for a suspension issue of course they're going to tell you to go home. I also have to think they expected people to lift these things and if going up a few tires sizes makes the entire suspension and drivetrain fail then they didn't do their job well!

Some people will be scared and live their life by the warranty, some want a cool lifted van :)

theron

Time will tell. Im my experience Ford has been good about modified vehicles over the years and it usually comes down to individual dealerships. If you lift a vehicle and then go to Ford for a suspension issue of course they're going to tell you to go home. I also have to think they expected people to lift these things and if going up a few tires sizes makes the entire suspension and drivetrain fail then they didn't do their job well!

Some people will be scared and live their life by the warranty, some want a cool lifted van :)

No doubt!

But with a new $50,000 van and lots of unknowns of how Ford will respond with warranty claims, if any extra long term wear is created, and if the AWD system functions as well, I’m down to letting the early adopters shake out the issues in 2020. And hopeful/grateful many will!

Excited to see the results nonetheless! 265 tires look proper on it

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
No doubt!

But with a new $50,000 van and lots of unknowns of how Ford will respond with warranty claims, if any extra long term wear is created, and if the AWD system functions as well, I’m down to letting the early adopters shake out the issues in 2020. And hopeful/grateful many will!

Excited to see the results nonetheless! 265 tires look proper on it

We'll see! I'll drive this one as much as possible until my other 2020 gets here and then it will get driven even more.

theron

We'll see! I'll drive this one as much as possible until my other 2020 gets here and then it will get driven even more.

It’s a slightly big ask, but I would love to see some side by side empirical tests with the AWD system of a stock vs lifted van if you ever have the bandwidth to prove the system.

If you were in a snowy region I think it could be easy to film & evaluate. In your neck of the woods it might require a car wash

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
It’s a slightly big ask, but I would love to see some side by side empirical tests with the AWD system of a stock vs lifted van if you ever have the bandwidth to prove the system.

If you were in a snowy region I think it could be easy to film & evaluate. In your neck of the woods it might require a car wash

The better AT tires will provide more traction and the ground clearance will help in some situations, that should be the only real world difference between the 2. I'll add an E locker to mine once it arrives, that will help too!

theron

The better AT tires will provide more traction and the ground clearance will help in some situations, that should be the only real world difference between the 2. I'll add an E locker to mine once it arrives, that will help too!

Right right, I hear that! But it’s just speculation till the AWD system is tested and data is provided that larger tires don’t hurt the system.

Since it sounded like you were going full steam into it and the vans are expensive, it just would be nice to be able to provide documented data of its capabilities before and after modifications

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I look forward to seeing what your guys come up with. I guess its going to take some creativity to solve those issues without expensive machined parts or excessive disassembly.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
But it’s just speculation till the AWD system is tested and data is provided that larger tires don’t hurt the system.

The only true test will be that of time and mileage. Until there are a handful of lifted vans with a bunch of miles on them out in the wild no one will really know how this AWD is going to hold up.

If you want to be a early adopter you are going to need to be comfortable with some risk of the unknown.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I'm expecting a new front shaft with the kit.... maybe a slip jointed one?

Another boring Transit AWD video, the rear shock brackets are like depth gauges....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles