2020 Ford Transit AWD

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The only reason to go with a low roof, is if you have a specific need for it. Such as parking in a garage, driving a specific trail, HOA requirements, etc. If you do not have a specific need, then a higher roof(s) is a tremendous upgrade in every way.
As far as wheelbases go. Anything with a turning circle under 45FT is will drive fine in cities etc. Over than can pose problems in tight cities, parking, and narrow road turn around.

A lot depends on what you mean by "overlanding". If you mean full time travel for extended periods, usually with a partner? Space is king. Especially if you are talking a full featured build out.

Last edited:

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Now the awd selection works on the website. I was able to build a good awd van.

A question for experience vaners.
- is it to stupid to want a low roof, short model, crew cab van for overlanding purposes? As opposed to med or high roof long models?

I went with a medium roof as I can stand up (just) and it makes it seem so much larger. If you are spending a lot of time inside, extreme cold temps, get something that is comfortable. Reason I did not go high roof is that I did not need it and the little less wind resistance was GREAT!!

86scotty

Cynic
I think the medium roof LWB Transit is about perfect. It's just big enough to stand in, sleep laterally (I did both and I'm 6'2") and move around in. I had no trouble parking mine or maneuvering it anywhere in traffic. I did not off-road it much being 2wd but turning radius was great.

I'm intrigued by the AWD and will look for the same mid roof LWB if I go Transit again.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I think the medium roof LWB Transit is about perfect. It's just big enough to stand in, sleep laterally (I did both and I'm 6'2") and move around in. I had no trouble parking mine or maneuvering it anywhere in traffic. I did not off-road it much being 2wd but turning radius was great.

I'm intrigued by the AWD and will look for the same mid roof LWB if I go Transit again.

I’m coming from a sprinter and the transit turning radius sucks! I could turn the same length sprinter around in my driveway. The transit is not even close. But I still like the transit as our next camper as it offers so much than our 2001 Mercedes.

North

Observer

Was your Transit insulated and paneled or no? Last time I looked at these the consensus seemed to be that the gargantuan high roof was the only viable option for a full conversion and folks over 5'10".

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Went to the dealership for a spare tire. They wanted $800 for just the rim! What kind of alloy wheels do you guys recommend?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I saw my first AWD Transit in my hometown in Quebec. I unfortunately did not have much time so I could only get a couple quick pictures.

It looks very similar to a regular 2WD. Only visible difference are the wheels. The height seems to be the same.
It was an interesting model - all windows around but nothing inside. Looks like the price is $57035CAN.

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Was your Transit insulated and paneled or no? Last time I looked at these the consensus seemed to be that the gargantuan high roof was the only viable option for a full conversion and folks over 5'10".

Mine was a passenger mid roof with the thick insulated floor with heater ducts all through it. I removed the factory headliner and airbags and rebuilt cabinets and a panel ceiling. I'm 6'2" and was fine in it. I tilted my head just slightly to stand fully upright. I would not want a taller van, it was tall enough. Any taller and it would not go through drive-thrus and would certainly be more challenging to drive a lot of places off road. It's a van so there are tradeoffs. YMMV

Oh, there's a thread on mine on the SMB forum and on the Transit forum which I haven't visited in a year or more since I sold it. I guess it's still there. However, due to the insanity of the mods and the way that site is run who knows.

North

Observer
Cool thanks for the info. I hate the way the mega roof looks, but I don't think it'd hinder my travels too much, as I'm typically in the desert or on ski trips so low branches or dicey lean angles aren't typical. Coming from a low roof van it's hard to imagine ponying up for a medium roof and still having to slouch/duck a bit.

That said, it's probably something you get used to. I certainly don't mind low roof life as much as I expected. Pointless pontification at the moment given that a AWD Transit likely isn't in my future until a few years down the line.

coguzzi

Adventurer
where in quebec? i am in QC and in the market and was wondering when they were going to show up. would love to go do a walk around/stand in

I saw my first AWD Transit in my hometown in Quebec. I unfortunately did not have much time so I could only get a couple quick pictures.

It looks very similar to a regular 2WD. Only visible difference are the wheels. The height seems to be the same.
It was an interesting model - all windows around but nothing inside. Looks like the price is $57035CAN.

View attachment 557976

View attachment 557979

View attachment 557981

View attachment 557982

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Got one! I'm uploading a video now with more details, will post it asap.

81420370_2969167853102423_732290626887876608_o.jpg

cobb ridge

Observer
Ujoint. When did you order yours? I have had mine on order since 8-13-19. I’m wondering if I will get mine before the 2021 model comes out. The dealer said mine is unscheduled on material hold. If they don’t schedule it soon then I’ll be looking at close to 6 months before I get it. If I get it. Half a year to get a van seems excessive. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
@cobb ridge
I'm guessing he bought that off the lot as he had mentioned ordering a wagon previously.
A "good" salesman can tell you why your van is on hold.
You ordered yours 2.5 months before they actually went to production.
Ford backed up 2020 production to build 2019 vans for Amazon Prime (you know so they can deliver packages in them :LOL: see earlier posts)

There are numerous reasons why you are on hold.
Diesel motor
power sliding door
crew van (heard the headliner was sagging so they stopped putting more in production)
Split view camera, new electronics in general

Crossing my fingers mine gets built next week as scheduled. EDIT: Got my VIN today, build happens next week.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles