2020 Ford Transit AWD

The ford website is not showing a selection for diesel or awd system. I guess it’s not yet it available.

As far as I can tell, it’s technically there. In playing around on the configurator, at least the passenger one, if you go and select the other “sliding passenger door” the price jumps by a few thousand and you get the different wheels that stick out. Best I can tell, that’s the AWD option. Now, the same should be true on cargo/crew van, but I haven’t played around with those enough to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

Here is another test with AWD cars on a roller ramp. I wonder how the Express AWD would do on the same ramp as the Transit in the previous post?

I love our Subarus and yes, this is exactly how they work. None of the others do it as well.
But I still prefer my Wrangler with selectable lockers.

I prefer manual control to computers and limited slip clutches. Takes a bit more thought but it is bulletproof.

I have a ford transit AWD it works fine , it is fully automatic controled by the electronics and the EPS, amazing in the snow ,but you can also switch it in permanent 4WD 50 / 50 , I also added a rear bloc diff.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Been reading the owners manual off and on....
Some notes,
-AWD, one of the warnings says not to drive in deep sand for more that 2.5 miles...(it can drive in deep sand for 2.5 miles?)
You can monitor the torque split between front and rear axles in real time on the instrument display

-Swivel seats go up and down as well as 180 deg. (although it should be noted that the batteries are under it still, there is no where for it to go down, these are adjustable "up" seats and nobody has found to want them higher (after swivels))
-You can "lock out" gears in the transmission.
-With Ford pass connect (standard) you can remote start, and adjust temp controls from your cell phone

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Been reading the owners manual off and on....
Some notes,
-AWD, one of the warnings says not to drive in deep sand for more that 2.5 miles...(it can drive in deep sand for 2.5 miles?)
You can monitor the torque split between front and rear axles in real time on the instrument display

-Swivel seats go up and down as well as 180 deg. (although it should be noted that the batteries are under it still, there is no where for it to go down, these are adjustable "up" seats and nobody has found to want them higher (after swivels))
-You can "lock out" gears in the transmission.
-With Ford pass connect (standard) you can remote start, and adjust temp controls from your cell phone

How do you like it so far?

That seems like good news about the AWD.

sg1

Adventurer
I have a ford transit AWD it works fine , it is fully automatic controled by the electronics and the EPS, amazing in the snow ,but you can also switch it in permanent 4WD 50 / 50 , I also added a rear bloc diff.
Do you have the European AWD Transit with the 6 speed manual tranny? Sounds like it. This AWD system works well but it is different from the North American system with the 10 speed auto tranny.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

Probably this is regarding potential overheating of whatever actuator controls the front/rear torque split. I know a guy who used to abuse the hell out of an AWD Honda Element in the SoCal deserts - the upper limit for him was always an overheat-warning in the AWD/center-diff controller.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Probably this is regarding potential overheating of whatever actuator controls the front/rear torque split. I know a guy who used to abuse the hell out of an AWD Honda Element in the SoCal deserts - the upper limit for him was always an overheat-warning in the AWD/center-diff controller.

That would make sense.

Do you have the European AWD Transit with the 6 speed manual tranny? Sounds like it. This AWD system works well but it is different from the North American system with the 10 speed auto tranny.

Yes i am in Switzerland it is a 2.2 diesel remap to 200 HP end manuel 6 speed in the snow it is much more fun and more agressif then my def130

Scotty D

Hmmmm, I drive my Express AWD in sand nearly every day down here in the Baja. Probably not 2.5 miles at a whack though. I wonder if I need to pay closer attention to this

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Now the awd selection works on the website. I was able to build a good awd van.

A question for experience vaners.
- is it to stupid to want a low roof, short model, crew cab van for overlanding purposes? As opposed to med or high roof long models?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94