2020 Ford Transit AWD

Joey G

I think Scott did a great job summarizing it:

One thing could stand to be corrected: The AWD Transit will not be available with the diesel engine.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The big IF is what kind of center diff the transit uses. If it can handle more than just dirt roads on vehicles weighing 8k+ lbs. But its interesting that the article calls it 4WD. Is that the moniker Ford is using in its sales literature?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The van thing will be interesting given I feel like van buyers are far more price savy and reliability Sensitive than say truck buyers who get really wound up on axel versions, gear box models etc. A big part no doubt being most have less interest rock crawling their second home than a pickup truck.

The Mercedes issues that are well known and don’t seem to be a big concern to fix by Mercedes I think starts to wear on the heavy users who end up dealing with them once - twice or more times. So the talk about the transit probably offering a lower cost more reliable option is going to be a big deal even for the RV builders. But Mercedes might decide to fix those and still be a top choice.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
The van thing will be interesting given I feel like van buyers are far more price savy and reliability Sensitive than say truck buyers who get really wound up on axel versions, gear box models etc. A big part no doubt being most have less interest rock crawling their second home than a pickup truck.

The Mercedes issues that are well known and don’t seem to be a big concern to fix by Mercedes I think starts to wear on the heavy users who end up dealing with them once - twice or more times. So the talk about the transit probably offering a lower cost more reliable option is going to be a big deal even for the RV builders. But Mercedes might decide to fix those and still be a top choice.

+1 on both paragraphs. I think reliability and lack of authorized services centers hold off a lot of folks from Sprinters. 4x4 Transit will fill a nice niche even if not best in class 4x4 system.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I was at the dealer on Saturday looking at Transits and asked about the new awd... They were clueless... Didn't even know it was coming out. Sales manager said they had only received their briefs/training on the 2020 Explorer and Edge so far....

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I was at the dealer on Saturday looking at Transits and asked about the new awd... They were clueless... Didn't even know it was coming out. Sales manager said they had only received their briefs/training on the 2020 Explorer and Edge so far....

Yes I am not surprised. As I said, there is one guy in Arkansas who really seems to know about the Transit. They are putting together a booklet to help people order - they are tons of different options available with this van. Apparently they are even the ones who managed to influence Ford to create the 'Crewvan' model.

Check this thread for more details:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
What kind of places one could go to with this new awd tarnsit? In terms of the road surface.
It has got no low range and high clearance so ho much you actually can do?

I wonder if you could go to Moab or similar place?

shade

What kind of places one could go to with this new awd tarnsit? In terms of the road surface.
It has got no low range and high clearance so ho much you actually can do?

I wonder if you could go to Moab or similar place?
I have no doubt you can go to Moab in one. It's on the highway, after all.

Rough or sloppy/muddy roads would be ok.
Snow packed roads? Sure, as long as there was clearance.
Some trails with a few rocks needing moved here and there? Sure.
Sand? Depends, but aired down with good tyres would be probably be ok.

Rock crawling? Probably not a good idea.
Even if you could creep past an obstacle, if the route had much of that to offer, it'd take forever.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We already drive a vehicle similiar to the transit. Although ours has a true 4x4 with low range and rear diff lock. I have to agree that ground clearance and good tires will get you pretty far. Ad a diff lock and it will be enough for most campers. The Ford AWD will be a nice safety feature for most especially in the winter time. I'm torn about the factory AWD or the true 4x4 from quigley. Both systems will void all warranty if you throw in a lift kit. That sucks big times... Therefore I'm wondering if the regular rear wheel version with a lift kit AND a diff lock will be enough. I almost think so.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I'm curious what, if any, diff locks could be put in? I've done mild research because I'm more in the 2wd/lift/tires/locker camp if possible. The fact is I'm on a budget and ordering a new awd or waiting a couple of years for a used one to pop up are not in the cards. I'm not planning on rock crawling the thing, but I'd like the ability to get more off the beaten path than a simple forest service road with paid campsites.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
So it will be like Subaru forester / outback I guess. You can go to many places but have to be careful and avoid big rocks and very stiff hills.

I do like the idea of a van. It's safe to camp and sleep. One could basically sleep overnight anywhere he wants. I have seen vans, mostly VW and MB, in NYC parked in streets and staying overnight while touring around the country.
But it comes with limited off road capabilities. As more you get into overlanding as far and remote you want to get. and that's where the problem starts.

On the other hand, trucks and SUVs have better off road capabilities, but you will need a roof tent for camping or overlanding. And it will be hard to sleep in roof tent in a city in case you can't get a hotel for some reasons.

sg1

Adventurer
Until a few months ago I had a European AWD Transit with small tires (225/75r16) a fairly big camper box and without low range or diff. lock. We did almost 100.000 miles with it in Africa, Latin America and parts of the US. We had a mild lift of about 2 inches and good skid plates. It is surprising what you can do with this setup. Any type of bad track as long it is not too narrow, sand or mud within limits is possible. Rock crawling is not possible. In sand the performance of a vehicle with 4 powered wheels is essentially determined by the hight of the tire (clearance under the diff, a lift is useless because it doesn't change the clearance under the diff), the pressure per square inch the tire puts on the ground and the torque of your engine. In mud it is mostly determined by clearance under diff and tire profile. A Transit with the Ecoboost will have plenty of torque therefore low range is only necessary if you need to go really slow (rock crawling) or at very steep (more than 30%) hills. Tire size is limited to about 245/75r16 or 235/85r16 which isn't much. 265 would be a lot better. But even with our 225 we did all the tracks that came our way including Kalahari Desert, Okavango, Kakokoveld and the Atacama Desert. And yes we explored Canyonland NP and the area around Moab. The tracks are beautiful but at least the ones we encountered weren't really a challenge for our Transit.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Until a few months ago I had a European AWD Transit with small tires (225/75r16) a fairly big camper box and without low range or diff. lock. We did almost 100.000 miles with it in Africa, Latin America and parts of the US. We had a mild lift of about 2 inches and good skid plates. It is surprising what you can do with this setup. Any type of bad track as long it is not too narrow, sand or mud within limits is possible. Rock crawling is not possible. In sand the performance of a vehicle with 4 powered wheels is essentially determined by the hight of the tire (clearance under the diff, a lift is useless because it doesn't change the clearance under the diff), the pressure per square inch the tire puts on the ground and the torque of your engine. In mud it is mostly determined by clearance under diff and tire profile. A Transit with the Ecoboost will have plenty of torque therefore low range is only necessary if you need to go really slow (rock crawling) or at very steep (more than 30%) hills. Tire size is limited to about 245/75r16 or 235/85r16 which isn't much. 265 would be a lot better. But even with our 225 we did all the tracks that came our way including Kalahari Desert, Okavango, Kakokoveld and the Atacama Desert. And yes we explored Canyonland NP and the area around Moab. The tracks are beautiful but at least the ones we encountered weren't really a challenge for our Transit.

Great feedback. Do you have any pictures to share by any chance?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94