2020 Ford Transit AWD

sg1

Adventurer
As I Thought, it is definitely different from the European AWD. which is integrated in the manual gearbox. Lifts and a low range should be easier because it is a bolt on solution.

yoggie

When I first read the press release, I assumed it would be like many of the AWD systems that live in many modern CUVs. They are FWD 99% of the time and have a clutch system that can send some power (usually less than 50%) to the rear axle when the front slips. They only engage at low speeds (less than 5-10 mph). I think of it as a LSD front to back but not side to side. They help on snow/ice to get you started, but really don't help in the dirt as this is not what they are targeted at.

Based on the pictures, it looks like this is an add on unit to the RWD system. My guess is the system activates some sort of clutch or break system if it detects the front wheels are spinning slower than the rear. If the system just puts the breaks on the rear axle to push power to the front, it will not perform well for anything but a quick jolt to get a stopped van moving on a slick surface; and wont help much for anything else. However, if it has a van has a true mechanical center clutch system that can decide what percentage of power to push where, and the rear has some sort of traction device (truck locker highly preferred but even LSD would help a lot), and the transmission has some really low gears, it could be good enough to not need a true low range system and perform quite well considering the platform and small tires. Here's to hoping!

Len.Barron

Observer
However, if it has a van has a true mechanical center clutch system that can decide what percentage of power to push where, and the rear has some sort of traction device (truck locker highly preferred but even LSD would help a lot), and the transmission has some really low gears, it could be good enough to not need a true low range system and perform quite well considering the platform and small tires. Here's to hoping!
Definitely a "wait and see" situation, when they actually release the specs to the public I guess we'll get to pick it apart then... I'd love to see a 5 to 1 first gear ratio and some specs on the transfer case bias and torque capacity. Some options for something taller than a 3.31 axle ratio would be nice as well, it seems ridiculous that you can (currently) get a 3.7 with 4.10LS rear but can't do the same with the ecoboost, there's a bunch of folks who want both larger tires and still have the ability to tow.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Looking at the photos, the Tcase has a electric shift motor, with 3 pin electrical connector. So maybe the AWD is selectable? I am still thinking viscous or electronic clutch for the front axle.

Len.Barron

Observer
Looking at the photos, the Tcase has a electric shift motor, with 3 pin electrical connector. So maybe the AWD is selectable? I am still thinking viscous or electronic clutch for the front axle.
I was wondering the same...maybe a torque bias viscous AWD / locked center diff selection?
Pretty interesting bit, I didn't realize GM and Ford worked together on the 10speed development:
Looks like first gear is a pretty respectable 4.69 to 1.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
The reason I have not gotten a sprinter is because I dont want diesel. Saw too many problems with the fuel in Baja making modern diesels have problems not to mention that the price of diesel is supposed to go way up compared to gasoline in 2020 when container ships will be mandated to use low sulfur diesel instead of bunker fuel.

I wouldn't over think the price of diesel. There are MILLIONS, literally, of commercial trucks running on it in the U.S. alone (link below, there are many others to support it). It's not going to just shoot up like crazy at a certain point or the shelves at your local Walmart won't be stocked and that's when the real riots start. All that said, I don't want a diesel either and certainly wouldn't trust a new diesel from any light truck manufacturer. The Ecoboost is already a diesel......that runs on gas.

lbarcher

Adventurer
There seems to be so much speculation about the AWD. From what I've read it'll be computer controlled
full time with selectable bias for conditions. I'll be happy if it's as good as what we have in our '15 Escape.
Sure it's not a hairy chested expo system people think they can fix with a rock but it works really well and is
totally adequate for on road use. The vast majority of the market isn't going rock crawling with these things.
That hole might be filled with the new Bronco.

yoggie

There seems to be so much speculation about the AWD. From what I've read it'll be computer controlled
full time with selectable bias for conditions. I'll be happy if it's as good as what we have in our '15 Escape.
Sure it's not a hairy chested expo system people think they can fix with a rock but it works really well and is
totally adequate for on road use. The vast majority of the market isn't going rock crawling with these things.
That hole might be filled with the new Bronco.

Very well said. As someone that already has a rock crawling Wrangler, my use case for the van is something that can handle an unexpected slippery spot on a maintained forest road.

As for something really good off-road that you can still live in, I expect there will be a booming business building toppers, habitats, and various types of attachments for the new Jeep Truck that will be coming soon. It wont have as much space as a van, but will wheel better for cheaper than any van out there.

b dkw1

Observer
Unfortunately, the T-case from an F150 is drivers side drop so no swapping there. With a 4.696 1st gear and a .636 overdrive, with some decent diff gears low range may not be needed. Rock crawling in a van just seems like a bad idea.

With 33" tires and 5.0 gears it would do about 25MPH at redline and still be geared for 200MPH LOL. You could run 6.0 gears and still have a really good highway cruise RPM.

Scotty D

The AWD syncro westfalia absolutely has a granny gear, you get one with lockers and with its short wheelbase it will go places a van should not be able to go.
The 2wd version (I have 2 , an auto and a standard) has no low gear and is a real problem on steep offroad hills. First gear in the standard is just too damn tall in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles