2020 Ford Transit AWD

CaptainBuilt

They said AWD, not 4WD. It will probably be like the Sprinter, send power to the right wheels that have traction.

I just hope it won’t cost as much as a sprinter.

Fairbro

In the case of AWD/4WD vans I totally disagree. If we had the numbers on how many were converted by Quigley, Advanced, Quadvan, Sportsmobile, Ujoint and all of the other smaller converters over the last many years we might know how many might've sold as 4wd from the factory.
VW could have dominated this market if they wanted to.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
First off, a SMB/quigley conversion is not the same as a factory AWD offering. There is a range of AW 4x4 offerings, and a consumer that would buy a IFS AWD would not buy a solid axle 4x4 version and vice versa. In order to justify the tooling and certification costs, most MFGs would need sales on the order of 50K or more per year. Don't let the Expo crowd fool you, there is no huge demand (though it is growing) for AWD/4x4 full-size vans.

Most purchasers of full sized vans have traditionally been fleet accounts, tradesmen, shuttle operators, etc. Only in the last ~8 years or so has the van camper, and euro high roof van options become popular. Most fleet accounts and tradesmen are not going to spend an extra 5k+ on an awd option. Especially if it makes the vehicle taller, heavier, or reduces payload.

The pickup truck market is not readily comparable with regards to 4x4. Most pickup owners use them as a personal or pleasure vehicle. They have 50 years of marketing and social imaging that portrays a big 4x4 truck as the ultimate utility vehicle, and as totally necessary to confirm ones manhood. Thus the large profit margins, and ubiquity of 4x4, despite most owners rarely, if ever, using it.

With the compact front cab on these vans, they have great cargo space and shorter wheelbases. This means that fitting an AWD drivetrain is not a simple task. Components need moved, the floor changed etc. As they are not designed from the ground up around AWD/4x4.

Finally, most domestic full-sized vans are not sold outside of north america, and in fact most are only available in the US/Canada. Without any international market, it is difficult to meet the sales volume to justify development of a different drive train. It is somewhat ridiculous to think that we, the poorly informed consumer, somehow have information that the big MFGs don't. Especially when it comes to spending 10s of millions modifying a production line and design to accommodate AWD.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
The aftermarket is going to eat this drivetrain up in every way, shape, and form.
With my "4 paw claw needs" being mostly snow driving, I think this will fit the bill nicely.
Additionally, I think many will be surprised at how "low range" the Transit will get with the 10 speed transmission.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Is this a transit’s transfer case?

I’m sure some guys will come up with some sort of low range kit.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If that photo is of the final production version, I would say there is room for a divorced Tcase. Or with the right shaft and an adapter plate, a married unit.

Just a guess, but I am not sure the tcase shown has room for a differential. So maybe the front axle has a clutch of some kind? If so that would be something to work around for a 4WD style Tcase.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Finding technical information is tough. Most articles talk about what it does, not how it does it or what the hard parts are.

Here is an interesting article about the 10 speed power flow and seems to imply that 1st will be no lower than what we are used to (although the article IS 5 years old). I read another article, which I cant find now but will link when I do, that said 1-3rd gears will be much lower than what we are used to. The "6 under driven gears" tells me they will be "low range" capable.

This article seems to imply that the torque differential magic happens in the rear axle.
"The main components of the new AWD system, developed in conjunction with supplier partner JTEKT, are located in the rear axle that is produced at Ford’s Sterling Axle Plant in Sterling Heights, MI."
Also some good information (like actual statistics) that explain why we are getting AWD in the Transit (not specifically). Demand is over the top.

Does anyone remember when pickup trucks weren't luxury vehicles, when they weren't daily drivers, the times, they do change.....

Low range transfer cases are a thing of the past. Ford calls it Trail Control now, https://social.ford.com/en_US/story...50-raptor-trail-control-system-explained.html

86scotty

Cynic
Finding technical information is tough. Most articles talk about what it does, not how it does it or what the hard parts are.

Here is an interesting article about the 10 speed power flow and seems to imply that 1st will be no lower than what we are used to (although the article IS 5 years old). I read another article, which I cant find now but will link when I do, that said 1-3rd gears will be much lower than what we are used to. The "6 under driven gears" tells me they will be "low range" capable.

This article seems to imply that the torque differential magic happens in the rear axle.
"The main components of the new AWD system, developed in conjunction with supplier partner JTEKT, are located in the rear axle that is produced at Ford’s Sterling Axle Plant in Sterling Heights, MI."
Also some good information (like actual statistics) that explain why we are getting AWD in the Transit (not specifically). Demand is over the top.

Does anyone remember when pickup trucks weren't luxury vehicles, when they weren't daily drivers, the times, they do change.....

Low range transfer cases are a thing of the past. Ford calls it Trail Control now, https://social.ford.com/en_US/story...50-raptor-trail-control-system-explained.html

That's really good intel Brian, thanks for sharing. Train Control looks like Ford's version of Toyota's crawl control. Cool.

vwhammer

Adventurer
I was super excited about this until I found out that the AWD option will not be offered with the diesel.
Now I am only moderately excited.
Curious what the mileage will be with the gas engines.

Of course I also hoped it would be a cheaper option to the 4wd Sprinter but my guess is, with all the add-ons, it will end up being pretty close to the Sprinter price.

Either way I am pretty curious about all the details and anxiously await the arrival.
For something this size that I would do any camping in, AWD is a perfectly adequate set up for me.
I would not have any real intention of doing serious off-roading so I am not concerned about low range.
As for the height I am sure there will be a way to bump it up a couple inches to fit a little beefier tire.

My main need for AWD/4WD in something like this is my irrational fear of being caught out in the occasional freak snow storm or other gnarly weather.
AWD will work just fine for most of that.

Len.Barron

Observer
I was super excited about this until I found out that the AWD option will not be offered with the diesel.
I'm a huge diesel fan as well...but...I'd go with the ecoboost for this anyways, the 3.5 has massive aftermarket tuning support and can make a lot more power than the current 5cyl diesel offering and likely the same for the coming 4cyl diesel that will replace it..

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
That's really good intel Brian, thanks for sharing. Train Control looks like Ford's version of Toyota's crawl control. Cool.
Thanks, I would like to know more. There is surprisingly little info. I had speculated that this drivetrain was all Explorer/expedition parts, even those vehicles have very little info, no cutaway physical drivetrains, power flow diagrams (similar to the 10 speed trans link), or hardware details. I think that should be required of companies, though they might be protecting their IP's?
In fact even those Transit powertrain shots are rare and I should give credit where credit is due, "Crewvanman" (Matt Ford Sales rep) from the Transit forums took those at the work truck show debut in Indianapolis?
I didn't watch the Raptor video of the trail control in the link above until today, fascinating he (it?) gets out of the stuck in the sand scenario with no feet on the pedals. Perfect for those who don't have the skill to rock the vehicle, or always give it a little to much gas and spin. When do you suppose the first autonomous Baja 1000 winner will be?

Scotty D

The reason I have not gotten a sprinter is because I dont want diesel. Saw too many problems with the fuel in Baja making modern diesels have problems not to mention that the price of diesel is supposed to go way up compared to gasoline in 2020 when container ships will be mandated to use low sulfur diesel instead of bunker fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles