2020 Ford F250 on 37s - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

montypower

Adventure Time!
Makes sense. Realistically, I'll try to keep the paint maintained but it will be used off road which means scratches. I've been impressed with the Super Duty paint durability (especially white) way way better than Toyota.

F250/F350 is a really solid platform and some great options available from the factory. Vinyl seat, Vinyl Floor, 4.30 gears, Rear E-Locker, Aux Switches (so nice), Skid Plates, 240 amp alternator.

It's interesting that the diesel dual alternator option isn't really as functional as you'd hope. All these modern rigs use "smart alternators" which turn off or scale up and down. In the case of the dual alternators... it often will overload the 1st alternator instead of balancing the electrical load. So much for the old days when an alternator just produced 14 volts. I still prefer one alternator with a bit more juice (for simplicity).

We are adding a 50amp DC charger to the Truck Camper so will be exercising the alternator a little bit. Charging lithium batteries is really interesting. They will take as much amperage as the alternator can produce and overload/overheat it. So you really have to use a DC charger to dial in the load and charge parameters. Crazy world of tech these days!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The spare tire winch is engineered for a stock tire weight. I've seen them fail with oversize tires when beat to death offroad. You can stretch a ratchet strap across the tire and hook up to holes on the inside of the Rams and secure them . I don't know if Fords have that same feature. In the past my wife's Superduty from work had the identical winch as my Dodge. I don't know if Ford has beefed the new ones up or not. Carli's arms should give you the needed clearance for the 37's. Deaver will build you the ideal set of rear springs. I've been to their foundry. The men know their springs. Great truck and build. I can't wait to see the camper of choice!

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'm missing what camper you're going to run. Outstanding truck! White stands up to the elements the best!

Here's the camper build:

montypower

Adventure Time!
The spare tire winch is engineered for a stock tire weight. I've seen them fail with oversize tires when beat to death offroad. You can stretch a ratchet strap across the tire and hook up to holes on the inside of the Rams and secure them . I don't know if Fords have that same feature. In the past my wife's Superduty from work had the identical winch as my Dodge. I don't know if Ford has beefed the new ones up or not. Carli's arms should give you the needed clearance for the 37's. Deaver will build you the ideal set of rear springs. I've been to their foundry. The men know their springs. Great truck and build. I can't wait to see the camper of choice!

Thanks for sharing your concern. What trucks have you seen the spare tire winch fail on? I've heard people reposting this all over... but yet to see one fail. The weight difference between the stock steel wheel and ko2 on alloy isn't enough to cause concern (at least for me). It would be surprising if the engineering was that marginal on them. I'll be sure to share if it fails and build something beefy to replace it. FYI - Ford is putting a 35" spare under the new Tremor package trucks. So the weight difference you're talking is maybe 5-10 lbs.

Carli arms really are more about bling than function. They are notched to give 1/2" additional clearance at full steering lock. This is completely a non-issue with greater offset wheels and 37s. They give 1 degree of caster (whoohoo) - if they were adjustable then we'd be talking. The stock arms are beefy. There are no examples of failed ones. The travel is exactly the same. I've talked to the Carli guys about them too... there is nothing game changing compared to stock. But they do weigh more... and they cost a lot! I'll run my stock arms until the bushings give out then look at options.

Deaver custom designed rear springs for the truck to handle 3,500lb load @ 2" Lift over stock. Design is done. They are in production and will be completed next month (hopefully). Rear shocks are on order from Accutune: Fox 2.5" Resi Adjustable (to match the front). ETA unknown. Fox is redesigning their shock bodies.

Great thoughts! It seems you know your stuff.

glwright

Love the truck. I have a 19 crew cab, sounds like what you had before. I have the plug and 12V on the dash and the touchscreen as well. I think the touch screen depends on the stereo. Can't wait to see how the truck does and what ideas I can borrow from you!

montypower

Adventure Time!
Love the truck. I have a 19 crew cab, sounds like what you had before. I have the plug and 12V on the dash and the touchscreen as well. I think the touch screen depends on the stereo. Can't wait to see how the truck does and what ideas I can borrow from you!

Nice truck!

We essentially ordered the same truck (as 2019). But apparently the 2020 got the Sync 3 system which has the big screen. It also has some crazy stuff like ability to start / unlock the truck via the phone. It makes me laugh because this is nearly the CHEAPEST XL version of the truck. Basic trucks these days are not that basic. Feels rather loaded.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I have 4.56 with 6.2 ford. Wouldn’t have it any other way. Wish I did 4.88 with the weight I carry. 37’s and 4.88 will change your life

What size tires are you running? What difference did you notice in the performance/mpg?

I like the 4.30 gears for many reasons (cost being a major one). They are also thicker/stronger than the lower ratios. Plus they are factory which is cool. Can easily drop it a gear as needed. My experience is the lower gears help in 1st gear the most. Past that you can just choose a different gear (transmission) to essentially have huge range of ratios based on speeds.

There is no issues with power. It's funny when people complain about power on new trucks. Go drive a 20 year old truck! These things are power houses! But I typically don't drive over 65mph and slower if hauling. Nothing is that important to go faster...

montypower

Adventure Time!

How to fit 37s under a 2020 Ford F250 and ensure no rubbing??

This method can be used for any off road vehicle when fitting larger than stock size tires (assuming you have coil or coilover suspension).

Steps:
1. Remove the coil springs.
2. Jack up the axle / control arm to fully compress the suspension to the bump stop.
3. Turn the tire lock to lock.
4. Look for anything that comes in contact with the tire (brake lines, wiring, sensors, body panels, fender, frame, sway bar…). Mark where contact is made.
5. Cut/Trim as needed.

Another method to resolve tire rubbing is to lower the bump stop (as much as needed) to limit the compression travel. You might need to consider changing your wheels (offset/backspacing) as well. Or more cutting/trimming.

Hope that might be helpful.

Skinhyfish

Observer
What size tires are you running? What difference did you notice in the performance/mpg?

I like the 4.30 gears for many reasons (cost being a major one). They are also thicker/stronger than the lower ratios. Plus they are factory which is cool. Can easily drop it a gear as needed. My experience is the lower gears help in 1st gear the most. Past that you can just choose a different gear (transmission) to essentially have huge range of ratios based on speeds.

There is no issues with power. It's funny when people complain about power on new trucks. Go drive a 20 year old truck! These things are power houses! But I typically don't drive over 65mph and slower if hauling. Nothing is that important to go faster...

Better mileage for sure and holds overdrive way better. Once you load truck up, you will notice a difference. If you plan on driving any hills I would recommend. I live in CO, going up I 70 uphill towards tunnel with camper and 35 in tires before, gears I could barely hold 3rd to go 45mph. Now I cruise 60 in 5th. Big difference and worth every penny. Your transmission will thank you.

coastalcop

I’m interested in the 21 gal aux fuel. Please don’t ask me why...... it involves the War Department ( the missus that approves builds). Hence, my bullfrog. Build is getting finished and sold ( not enough room for the war department) and will probably go to fund a snap treehouse for a truck kinda like yours . When they approve the purchase you gotta move fast ;)

montypower

Adventure Time!
After endless searching and call... I found that most of the custom tank builders are in the boating industry (many located in Florida). I had John @ SpeedyTanks.com build the tank.

Here's the drawing I sent them...Tank Drawing
They built it perfectly to the specs. I've been just using the shaker siphon to transfer to the main tank (works well ~ 2gpm).

coastalcop

Thanks for the update ! As luck would have it, on the third coast we have several boat builders I can talk to. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles