2020 Ford F250 on 37s - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

montypower

Adventure Time!
You know, we could meet in Moab, first week of April, 2024. You bring your heavy duty pickup. I will bring my 1984 4-cylinder Toyota or rent a 4-door Wrangler. We will drive some trails together. It will be a fun learning experience and you can show me firsthand how capable you and your heavy-duty truck are when it comes to rock crawling.

Sounds like fun! Let's do a video...

Realistically, there is no perfect off road vehicle. Everything is a compromise. Long wheelbase = stability and hill climb advantage. Short wheelbase = better break over and turning radius. Increased weight and larger size is detrimental in most cases.

Rock crawling to me is the ultimate challenge of both driver and machine. It really doesn't matter what the machine is. Keep in mind there will always be obstacles that will exceed any vehicle or driver. The sweet spot (fun) is being pushed and challenged yet with the ability and capability to overcome (damage free).

Super Duty is fun because it is more challenging (than smaller rigs like our SxS) and requires better driving. Yet you may be surprised where it will go. And that's why making videos with it is entertaining.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

Realistically, there is no perfect off road vehicle. Everything is a compromise. Long wheelbase = stability and hill climb advantage. Short wheelbase = better break over and turning radius. Increased weight and larger size is detrimental in most cases.

Rock crawling to me is the ultimate challenge of both driver and machine. It really doesn't matter what the machine is. Keep in mind there will always be obstacles that will exceed any vehicle or driver. The sweet spot (fun) is being pushed and challenged yet with the ability and capability to overcome (damage free).

Super Duty is fun because it is more challenging (than smaller rigs like our SxS) and requires better driving. Yet you may be surprised where it will go. And that's why making videos with it is entertaining.

Amen Sir

HowardH

Adventurer

Sure. You bring the camera I’ll drive.

Realistically, there is no perfect off road vehicle. Everything is a compromise. Long wheelbase = stability and hill climb advantage.

Not understanding the longer wheelbase advantage to climbing unless you’re worried it’s so short it might flip over backward.

Increased weight and larger size is detrimental in most cases.

Kind of figured we’d agree on that. ?

Super Duty is fun because it is more challenging (than smaller rigs like our SxS) and requires better driving.

Other rigs are much more capable, of course. More challenging and requiring better driving? Maybe just need more difficult trails to properly challenge the more capable rigs?

Last edited:

HowardH

Adventurer
Peter, I’m serious about meeting in Moab. I’m putting together a trip for 2024, most likely the first week of April but possibly the last week of March.

I’ll be bringing my F350 Overland Explorer Base Camp, my 1984 Toyota pickup and perhaps something else, who knows.

You’re welcome. Last time in 2021 there were 16 of us.C3E1E3A7-77AB-42BA-AED1-1E6004E4C9DE.jpeg

Last edited:

Macfly

My truck should be ready in late April, and the first thing I want to do with it is go to Moab, never been - super excited to see it, if you have tips and local knowledge please do share.

Ninelitetrip

My truck should be ready in late April, and the first thing I want to do with it is go to Moab, never been - super excited to see it, if you have tips and local knowledge please do share.

@Macfly check out @BretEdge he maintains a blog with photography. Link in his signature.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Peter, I’m serious about meeting in Moab. I’m putting together a trip for 2024, most likely the first week of April but possibly the last week of March.

Message me with details the month before. Will see how our schedule lines up. Typically we avoid big groups. 3-5 rigs is ideal.

Longer wheelbase is more stable and planted on steep terrain. Watch a 2 door Jeep or Samurai and then a Gladiator or Tacoma on the same hill climb.

There will always be terrain that is not drivable regardless of vehicle or skills. The fun is finding the limits of any vehicle and conquering obstacles that don't seem possible. Extreme trucks or buggy type vehicles have a slim "fun" margin (in my opinion). The obstacles that are challenging for those type machines include a high risk of roll over or damage (not my thing). The remainder of the terrain is not challenging aka boring (which is the majority). I've built many trucks over the years and had the most fun with moderately modified. This is my first full size truck build and it's a completely different challenge but fun to push the limits and see what is possible. We have lots of off road videos if you want to see some of things we've done in the past couple years.

HowardH

Adventurer
3-5 rigs is ideal.

Exactly

Longer wheelbase is more stable and planted on steep terrain. Watch a 2 door Jeep or Samurai and then a Gladiator or Tacoma on the same hill climb.

Yes but that’s not specific to hill climbing. It’s equally true going downhill or level.

I've built many trucks over the years and had the most fun with moderately modified.

Same with me. I’m a big believer in the law of diminishing returns and have always avoided highly specialized vehicles. Stock to moderate customization works for me.

montypower

Adventure Time!

Our Ford F250 Super Duty manual recommends to service and change the differential gear oil after 150,000 miles! That's nuts! Oil is cheap insurance to keep your mechanical parts functioning properly.

I'd recommend changing your differential gear oil after 30-50k miles. Our truck has nearly 30k miles and the fluid was already getting dark. I HATE gear oil. It smells terrible and messy. But this job isn't difficult and provides an excellent opportunity to upgrade your differential cover! I'd recommend installing a beefy steel differential cover if you plan to drive off road. There's nothing worse than being stranded from a cracked or punctured differential cover.

We used Permatex Black sealant on the rear differential cover and gear oil was seeping after 6 months and we followed all the directions (1hr set before torque and 24hr before filling). Permatex Green is supposed to resolve the sealant breakdown issues. However, sealant is an absolute mess to clean up and time consuming. We decided to try the Lube Locker gaskets instead. They are spendy but may be worth the cost for quicker service and hopefully no more fluid seeping. Will keep you posted!

Parts we used for this project:
OX Front Locker (HD diff cover)
Under Cover Fabworks Sterling 10.5 steel differential cover
Lube Locker D60 Gasket
Lube Locker Sterling 10.5 Gasket
Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 (4 QT) rear differential
Amsoil Severe Gear 80w90 (3 QT) front differential
Drill Wire Wheel
Parts Cleaner
Lots of shop towels

HowardH

Adventurer

Moab is a wonderful vacation destination. Wide open spaces, beautiful scenery, great trails. Things happen slowly. Rock crawling is slow speed. Take your time and enjoy. Don’t overthink it. Just go and enjoy.

My only real suggestions are; find accommodations early unless self sustaining and don’t be afraid to pass on a route.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Cool to see these big trucks doing big boy things. Thx for pushing the F-SD Peter.

Interesting you're using 80w90 fluid in the front and 75w90 fluid in the rear. I'm using 85w140 Lucas gear oil (what ECGS suggested) front and rear, with my Yukon 4.88 front w/ Eaton e-locker and Carli diff skid, and Nitro 4.88 rear w/ factory e-locker and factory rear diff cover (looking to add a rear diff skid perhaps vs HD cover). <shrug>

How do you like this Under Cover Fabworks Sterling 10.5 steel differential cover? https://undercoverfab.com/complete-covers/225-ucf-sterling-1025105-rear-hd-diff-cover-welded.html

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Cool to see these big trucks doing big boy things. Thx for pushing the F-SD Peter.

Interesting you're using 80w90 fluid in the front and 75w90 fluid in the rear. I'm using 85w140 Lucas gear oil (what ECGS suggested) front and rear, with my Yukon 4.88 front w/ Eaton e-locker and Carli diff skid, and Nitro 4.88 rear w/ factory e-locker and factory rear diff cover (looking to add a rear diff skid perhaps vs HD cover). <shrug>

How do you like this Under Cover Fabworks Sterling 10.5 steel differential cover? https://undercoverfab.com/complete-covers/225-ucf-sterling-1025105-rear-hd-diff-cover-welded.html

I'd suggest a diff fluid change after 1k after a regear...

montypower

Adventure Time!

I'm sure it can work... I typically try to follow the manual unless there's a reason not to. I'm guessing the lighter weight fluid is for economy (not certain). Rear differential is synthetic; front is standard (factory). Front gear oil is the same for all the super duty (with D60). It is a good idea to change the fluid after 500-1,000 miles during gear break in.

UCF cover is well made and solid. I purchased it because they added a drain plug. I ended up reusing the factory cover bolts... they are a bit short with the cover thickness but seem to hold well and better quality.

I'll probably continue to remove the cover when changing the fluid as there is fluid that pools at the bottom of the housing. That is likely where most of the contaminates will settle. Lube Locker gaskets seem to be great! And should expedite the process.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'd suggest a diff fluid change after 1k after a regear...

Since my damn kitty kats got robbed after ~600mi of break-in of the gears (and the gear shop is also excellent at exhaust work), when they put in new meow-meows for me, I also asked them to change F&R diff fluids at the same time.

I'm sure it can work... I typically try to follow the manual unless there's a reason not to. I'm guessing the lighter weight fluid is for economy (not certain). Rear differential is synthetic; front is standard (factory). Front gear oil is the same for all the super duty (with D60). It is a good idea to change the fluid after 500-1,000 miles during gear break in.

UCF cover is well made and solid. I purchased it because they added a drain plug. I ended up reusing the factory cover bolts... they are a bit short with the cover thickness but seem to hold well and better quality.

I'll probably continue to remove the cover when changing the fluid as there is fluid that pools at the bottom of the housing. That is likely where most of the contaminates will settle. Lube Locker gaskets seem to be great! And should expedite the process.

Maybe my 85w140 is leading to my less than stellar MPG. ;)

Good to hear on the UCF. It's now on my wish list during the next rear diff fluid change, along with LubeLocker gasket.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles