2020 Ford F250 on 37s - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Based on current usage, that should be around 2037. Will probably have other options available by then!

[kissyface]

Ha, definitely a slow start. But 4 more trips already planned over this winter.

You may have already addressed this but what’s your MPG with the 37’s vs OEM size tires?

I can't add much to montypower's info, as I didn't put enough miles on my 33's (without flatbed/camper/etc) to get good data, and I still need to Forscan for 37" tires to see how my MPG shakes out. But averaging around 10'ish MPG on 37's at the moment.

Keep us posted on how they wear. I'm curious if our cupping/crowning issue was from the over inflation or a tire carcass design thing. They are a great tire and the best option until these new tire options. I'm glad to see HD truck tire options for 37s on 17s. Very cool.

Will do!

I second the XL80s
Amazing little light and the ability to quickly and cheaply change out the lenses for different colors and beam patterns is awesome!

I third them, although I don't use them as much as I do my LP9's (XL80s on Aux2, LP9 High's on Aux6). I should get them wired in (and LP9 Low's) with the high beams like Peter did--that would be wise.
PS--RAM5500 likes the amber lenses the best, because it makes his Instagram gain lots of followers.

montypower

Adventure Time!

It is generally assumed that a Full Size truck is ONLY for hauling or towing. But is that really accurate? It seems that the Ford F250 Super Duty has all the components for a perfect rock crawler:

Powerful V8 Engine, Sterling 10.5” Full Float Rear Axle, Factory Rear Locking Differential, Dana 60 High Pinion Front Differential with manual locking hubs, Front OX Air Locker (aftermarket), 4.30 Axle Gear Ratio, PSC Hydro Assist (aftermarket), 37” Tires (aftermarket), Fully Boxed Frame and more…

Of course... some will say it’s too LONG or too WIDE! Sure…80” body width is wide but heck a modern Jeep is 75” so you’re only talking 5” inches less than a hamburger diameter. And the wheelbase is 148” which is lengthy but a Jeep Gladiator is 137” a difference of less than a piece of paper in length.

Am I missing something?? Testing is the best method to determine! We went out to the Moss Wash OHV Trail which has a respectable “7” rating on OnX Offroad (for Jeeps).

Do you think the Super Duty qualifies as a Rock Crawler?

HowardH

Adventurer
Absolutely not. It’s not about, can something work in a pinch. It’s about how it compares to others for the same role. The Jeep Gladiator isn’t one either.

The F250 is to big; to wide, to long, to much overhang and to HEAVY!

montypower

Adventure Time!
Absolutely not. It’s not about, can something work in a pinch. It’s about how it compares to others for the same role. The Jeep Gladiator isn’t one either.

What do you think qualifies? Max weight? Max size? Minimum tire size? Curious your thoughts...

We used our 1998 Tacoma for years on the most difficult rock crawling trails in the Sierra Nevadas: Fordyce, Rubicon, Dusy, Barrett Lake and more. It was around 126" wheelbase. But it only had 4 cylinders so it might not qualify. Sad.

montypower

Adventure Time!
If it fits it goes! My buddies long travel Tacoma is as wide my F250?

I've thought about building my wife's 2021 Tacoma. But it's not exactly small or light. And nearly everything needs to be upgraded to make it durable/reliable for rock crawling. Super Duty has all the hardware but it is bigger and heavier. Our SxS is fun (love the light weight) but prefer 4x4 trucks as they take more skill to get through obstacles.

HowardH

Adventurer
What do you think qualifies? Max weight? Max size? Minimum tire size? Curious your thoughts...

regarding the above I’ve no idea. The most impressive rock crawling performance I’ve personally witnessed was in Moab. A group of built rigs came along and tackled the hill. Can’t remember the name but it’s got winch point anchored into the rocks.

anyway they all struggled and most made it with help from the anchor points. Then came the last of their group. Least expensive and oldest rig. A 80’s era F250 that had been chopped, shortened and had the front axle pushed forward. It walked up the hill.

so to answer your question. Move the wheels out to the corners, install large for vehicle size tires, maximize the suspension travel you can get and go have fun.

rock crawling isn’t about speed. I’d think a four cylinder Toyota would do great for a stock rig

above all remember that equipment won’t overcome lack of knowledge, experience or plain common sense.

PS I’ll try to remember to track down the hill tomorrow.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

Seems to be a blanket statement from inexperienced drivers with limited talent.

Randy, from Randys Transmission fame, just brought his 3500 DUALLY on 37s to Moab and ran all of the hard stuff, in a DUALLY

Youre comment saying the F250 is too long, too much overhang, and too heavy are both incorrect and ignorant. Spend some more time behind the wheel sir.

My fav thing is when people say "But that wont fit on the trails i go on" I always chuckle and ask for directions to said mythical trails.

Driving larger vehicles on trails takes more skill, experience, and patience than Jeeps.

Here ya go (he does tons of trails there and each has their own video)

Last edited:

HowardH

Adventurer
Seems to be a blanket statement from inexperienced drivers with limited talent.

You might be right. The opposite of inexperience and lack of talent are experience and talent. I would argue that those two traits would lead you to select the best tool for the job.

Randy, from Randys Transmission fame, just brought his 3500 DUALLY on 37s to Moab and ran all of the hard stuff, in a DUALLY
I watched the Pritchette Canyon video. Neat but also nothing more than a marketing stunt made possible through extensive video editing and a willingness to beat the crap out of the truck. The shortcomings of the truck were on full display.

Youre comment saying the F250 is too long, too much overhang, and too heavy are both incorrect and ignorant. Spend some more time behind the wheel sir.
How anyone could watch the above referenced video(s) and conclude; length, width, overhangs and weight, are anything other than significant detriments is beyond me.

You know, we could meet in Moab, first week of April, 2024. You bring your heavy duty pickup. I will bring my 1984 4-cylinder Toyota or rent a 4-door Wrangler. We will drive some trails together. It will be a fun learning experience and you can show me firsthand how capable you and your heavy-duty truck are when it comes to rock crawling.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior