2020 Ford F250 on 37s - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

Klutch7

Glad to hear it is working well. When you spec'd the truck out, did you ever consider a long bed? I sold my 2020 crew cab short bed in the crazy market, and am leaning toward an extended cab long bed this go-around. do you think it would be too much for some of the trails you've tackled so far?

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Glad to hear it is working well. When you spec'd the truck out, did you ever consider a long bed? I sold my 2020 crew cab short bed in the crazy market, and am leaning toward an extended cab long bed this go-around. do you think it would be too much for some of the trails you've tackled so far?

We owned the crew cab short bed with the 160" WB. This truck was a real handful to park and maneuver in tight spaces. We didn't consider the extended cab long bed due to the wheelbase 164". Our replacement truck is this extended cab short bed with 148" WB.

Absolutely love this truck size! Easy to park anywhere. Less dragging the underside off road (better break over). Much easier to live with. I'd only go with the longer wheelbase if it was absolutely necessary. I'd probably look to the standard cab long bed for the even shorter 141" wheelbase (but we need the interior space for bikes).

It really depends on how you plan to use the truck... and where you want to go... and how many multi-point turns you are comfortable doing.

Hope that helps!

montypower

Adventure Time!
@montypower sorry if I missed this info, but do you carry a full size spare? If so, where is it stored?

ANSWER: Measure your actual tire!!! 36" diameter spare will fit if fully aired down (many 37" tires measure about 36" when mounted on wheels). Requires force to jamb in there. 35.75" diameter spare will fit snugly at full air pressure. I installed a used 37" BFG Ko2 spare.

montypower

Adventure Time!

While traveling across country it’s always a challenge to find interesting stops and remote overnight camping. In this video we share a special gem location…

Escure Ranch which is currently owned and managed by BLM and offers free overnight camping. Keep in mind this is a “no service” style place to overnight camp. You need to leave this location cleaner than when you arrived. No trash!!!

Historic sites such as this old ranch are a real treat to have open to the public. It’s incredible to explore and imagine how life was lived on this beautiful property. I’m definitely envious of the views and massive “shop” buildings!

Stay tuned for upcoming adventures.

kilcoleman

Nameloclik
Have found your thread and videos very informative and appreciate you taking the time to share this. We ordered a Hallmark camper a while back are are shopping for a F250. It's just two of us (kids have moved on) so we would like to keep size down and go with F250 or f350 supercab. Like you, we will be storing 2 bikes in the cab and we're wondering how this is working out for you? Is there much remaining usable space when you do this? Please direct us to any photos or videos of your extended cab setup with the bikes. Thanks again.

montypower

Adventure Time!
That's excellent... We have a video showing the bike storage platform in our previous F250 Crew Cab. The platform we built for the Crew Cab bolted in with no modification to our current Super Cab. It has plenty of room for the bikes and we can store items on top of the platform and below. Works perfectly for us. It is slightly tighter than the Crew Cab for the bikes but somewhat easier to load since the rear door swings backwards (no center pillar or door in the way). We love it!

montypower

Adventure Time!

We decided to explore the backroads just north of Coeur d’Alene in the Panhandle National Forest. Our mapped route was just shy of 50 miles off road and promised to have some epic views.

Our first night of camping was in a forest road pull off that had been used as a shooting range and trash dump. This is really frustrating to see beautiful areas littered with trash. Haul out your trash! Nevertheless, we enjoyed the overnight parking and incredible late night storm including a terrific lightning show with torrential rain.

The next day the roads were rather saturated with scattered puddles. Faith discovered an old road to Buckles Mountain on the map. We thought it might offer views and decided to drive up. This proved rather challenging as the road had been abandoned and overgrown. It was slow progress with plenty of tree branch cutting and brush clearing but we prevailed.

Unfortunately, the summit views were completely blocked by trees. Above the trees was a fantastic view of the valley and lake. We camped for a couple night before completing the remainder of our backcountry route.

Fun adventure… more to come as we travel the backroads of Idaho!

montypower

Adventure Time!

We’ve been traveling the Idaho BDR (Backcountry Discovery Route) which passes the Burnt Knob Fire Lookout Tower. Of course, we had to detour from the route and check it out!

Lookout towers are hidden gems in the forest. It’s incredible to have roads (often drivable) to the top the tallest peaks often exposing epic views. Many towers have been destroyed over the years which makes discovering and exploring these historic structures a treasure hunt.

This lookout tower sits at 8,159 foot elevation and is especially unique being built on the top of a rock cliff. Rocks were stacked to help support and level the structure on the uneven rock slab. It’s overlooking 3 lakes with only hiking trail access.

We were amazed by the breathtaking beauty which is reminiscent of the granite slabs found in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. What a treat!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
ANSWER: Measure your actual tire!!! 36" diameter spare will fit if fully aired down (many 37" tires measure about 36" when mounted on wheels). Requires force to jamb in there. 35.75" diameter spare will fit snugly at full air pressure. I installed a used 37" BFG Ko2 spare.

Or have a 37" shaved down to about 35.XX-36". That's my plan with mine.

Well done on the lookout trail. Jeeps only?
Looks like you had some deer friends at the top.
When descending, are you in 4Lo, low gear, hill descent...to prevent using the brakes as much as possible?

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
When descending, are you in 4Lo, low gear, hill descent...to prevent using the brakes as much as possible?

Typically drive in "M" manual transmission shift mode in the mountains and off road. Depending on grade... will run 4WD Low Range for increased engine braking. Ran 4WD Low 1st gear for most of this trek and bumped to 2nd gear in less rocky sections.

Low range also helps keep the transmission temp down on steep, extended climbs. We monitor engine and transmission temperature with the ScanGaugeII for accurate, real time readings.

Hill descent control is a gimmick and wouldn't recommend using for any length of decent as it rides your brakes and runs the ABS pump constantly (ie could overheat for extended use). Proper gearing and engine braking is a much better way to go.

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!

Synthetic winch rope is fantastic in nearly every way: light weight, floats on water, easily repairable, safer…however, there is one major downside! Attaching synthetic rope to the winch drum!

Most winches with the exception of the Warn Zeon series (which attaches the winch rope through the drum center) use the “old school” rope lug with set screw to the outside edge of the winch drum. This attachment method works fine for steel winch cable but terrible for synthetic rope.

Often the winch rope will pull out of the attachment lug when too much rope is pulled from the drum on heavy pulls. Alternatively, the lug can actually cut your winch rope! That’s what happened to ours. Sad.

There are “redneck” methods for attaching the rope to the drum including duct tape or with various knots. However, this simple design from BubbaRope “The Grabber” is simply brilliant. It uses the concept of the Chinese finger trap to hold the rope to the drum. Essentially, the harder you pull on the rope the harder to “grabs” or holds to the drum.

This allows you to use all your winch rope (except the final 5 wraps) without fear of the rope breaking free or cutting the rope on the sharp attachment lug. In this video we go over the installation and basic winch spooling method with simple maintenance tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94